• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2600k/MVE & 3D Benching

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Thanks Ivan for conferming what i have done is correct, it said in the Hanbook to do this as well as all the other power connections. On this Mobo you have a 4 PIN and a 8 PIN for the CPU SOCKET area, then your 24 PIN and also this 4 PIN MOLEX just to supply the PCI-E LANES.

And ASUS recommends you use them all, especially if your running high powered GPU's that draw lot of voltage + current!!

Kind Regards,

AJ.

Hi Atmin, on the Black Edition there is a EZ 4 PIN MOLEX, which just supply's 12v + 5v to the PCI-E lanes only! It say's in the Handbook to install this for Multi GPU's in SLI and above. So that's what i did and to me it seems to make some sort of difference here.

This is the first time i have ever come across this type of method being used.

EDIT: Sorry i missed part of your post, no it plugs into the power supply directly. "4-PIN on the Mobo to the output on the power supply!"

2 pins are 12v + ground, the other is 2 pins 5v + ground.

AJ.
Hiya AJ!
The board's got 2 supplemental power connections. I've got a 6-pin connected to EZ_plug1, nothing connected to EZ_plug2 (the little white one next to the 6-pin). According to the manual, the 6-pin provides additional power to the pci-e slots. The 4-pin provides additional power to the rear io ports. Think I need that? If so, looks like a fan header to me...what would I plug onto those pins?

Attachments

• MVE (18).JPG
    MVE (18).JPG
    95 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
3d01 is all about tweaking. Seems like a bit of a waste, to me, to push it with 4 cards. 4 card score is horrible compared to 1 card. 1st is nice, but it doesn't seem to me that it is worth the time to work with it much more.
Would be more worthwhile to get the rest of the 3d benches that you are missing first.

3d01 is all about tweaking. Seems like a bit of a waste, to me, to push it with 4 cards. 4 card score is horrible compared to 1 card. 1st is nice, but it doesn't seem to me that it is worth the time to work with it much more.
Would be more worthwhile to get the rest of the 3d benches that you are missing first.
True, true...but if I can get another couple global points it's worth grabbing while they're in the mobo.

Attachments

• 4x580-2700k-3dm3-184927.jpg
    4x580-2700k-3dm3-184927.jpg
    455.3 KB · Views: 18
Last edited by a moderator:
Mebbe they fixed it.

Thanks! Going to start overclocking 3x tonight and hopefully get through those benches over the next few evenings. Then it's on to the 2x runs. After that...think I'll switch to 2011 platform and run the 580's through the other benchies. When that's all done, will swap out the 580's for quad 7970's and shoot for some (hopefully) decent globals.

If you have the time, just sit down and read through the Manual like i did, on that section! It most likely tell you what cable you would need, and like me i just Google it, and looked at what others have done before. Just to double check things, i also checked the Voltage with a meter before i plugged anything into the Motherboard.

What i did find here by adding that cable, it made the FPS and GPU's more stable when under high loads. Now i can not say why, its just by watching my scores and comparing them against. The scores i had before @ the same GPU clocks, before i added the cable.

You see now i keep a log of my settings and scores, as a guide to follow up and help me beat my previous Subs here!

The main reason for my post in your thread funsoul is that you are running 4 GPU's on that Mobo and drawing all the power through the 24 PIN PLUG!!!

So i just thought it could be a help to you, as did not want to hear of any more problems. With your great set up you have running there at this time.

EDIT: Then i would look around in your cable box and dig out the 6 PIN to supply the PCI-E SLOTS!! Sure would help to run all those GPU'S my friend!

Kind Regards,

AJ.

Last edited:
Hiya AJ

Not exactly sure I'm completely following you. I've read that section (all ~1 paragraph of it) very thoroughly. I've got 3 power leads plugged into the board...24pin, 8pin and the extra 6pin (ez_plug1) for the pci-e. Really don't think that I need that last power lead (ez_plug2)....what does adding more power to the rear io ports do for me? Since I've got very little plugged into the rear io ports anyway, adding the extra power there doesn't seem like it'd do anything. If I'm missing something, please let me know.

Excluding the squirrely behavior (which I'm thinking is AB) which I've got controlled...the cards seem to have done pretty well in 4x. Let's see how 3x looks.

Sorry my BAD i was thinking you had it missing yeah!!! OK no problem just let it go thanks.

AJ.

Np AJ...appreciate your thoughts!

EWWWWW!!!! Just noticed something about my subs....every one of them is showing that the cards are running pci-e1.1! :( How do I get them all showing pci-e3.0???

I understood that the 2700 is only PCI-E 2!!

Need to check out the Bios for PCI-E GEN settings?? Or try the RENDER TEST in GPU-Z and see what it shows?

AJ.

Last edited:
Going to look at that tonight! Could swear they're all showing as gen3 in bios. I know that on 2011 one needs to make a couple registry edits to get gen3 working but for some reason thought it should be fine on 1155 with the 2700k. I want those few extra percent gains!!!! hehehehe

If its set on AUTO it may default to what it wants too, yeah best to check it out my friend.

AJ.

Back