• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2600k overheating

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Vortaku

i dont know whats going on but my rog board keeps saying my cpu is running at high temps, so i have a frys and microcenter local and was wondering what i could pick up that would be effective for around 50

Did you confirm the temperatures? May want to do that before you go buying things for a problem that may not be true?

What are you temps under load (Prime95 Small FFT)?

Using Prime 95? That is fine. That chip shouldnt throttle until 95C I believe.

Perhaps o need to adjust the threshold of that warning in the bios?

LOL @ Black fIrday rocks. :p

from what i saw looks around 86c is being reached on multiple occasions
A lot depends on what kind of load you normally run. I process graphics and cpu sometimes runs 100% for hours at a time.. and pushes temps higher than prime95 does.. so I want my max core temp lower than Earthdog does.

Tcase for 2600k is 72.6c (temperature measurement using a thermocouple embedded in the center of the heat spreader)

Core temp is 6-10c higher so it would be 78-80c. So if you do actually use your CPU 100% I suggest a max load temp of 75c.

Being in Texas you will probably have higher ambient temps in the summer so a better cooler might be in order. How much better depends on what your planned use of system is and if you want to overclock in the future.

To help you figure out what cooler to get we need to know what your CPU clearance is and what RAM you have. These determine how tall the cooler can be and if cooler/fan will clear RAM.

I'm in UK so choices of coolers is quite different from there. I'm not crazy about any of the coolers Micro or Fry's carry.

Maybe I'm too conservative but that's my rationalization.

Edit: Just remembered Amazon.com has Logisys Gamer Storm for $33.75. We call it Alpenfohn Matterhorn here in Europe and it has a very good rep. Size is 134x74x158mm; 134x99x158mm w/fan.
http://www.amazon.com/Logisys-Gamer...sr=8-1-spell&keywords=logisys+deep+cool+gamer
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/coolers/display/alpenfohn_matterhorn-deepcool_gamer_storm.html

Last edited:
You can hardly SEE it but, you sure can feel it. A Tech i worked with told me a story about a Dell with a cool running heatpipe heatsink but, it kept over heating and shutting off even though it wasn't putting off any heat. He made the fortunate and unfortunate mistake of touching the base of the heat sink. When it burned his finger he knew what was wrong.

Heat sinks are vacuum sealed and when the seal is broken from the metal being dinged or dropped or even just from metal fatigue, it's lets air in and ruins the chemicals/powder(s) inside, or at the very least inhibits them from moving when heated.

Understood, to me going bad is wearing out by usage. Damage by the end user in my eyes isn't going bad. I agree with ED, outside of manufacturing defects it's rare. I have 4 aircoolers that are all at least 4 years old one is 7 all functioning well. The one that is 7 has run pretty much 24/7 for it's existence and is still running fine, other then a TIM clean and re-apply every few years.

Try disconnecting the speed control wire. (An easily reversible way is to use a small screwdriver or thumbtack to release the wire from the connector, then wrap the end in electrical tape.)

Back