• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2700X not stable

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SMOKEU

I recently upgraded my R7 1700 to a 2700X. All other hardware in the build is the same. I defaulted the UEFI after the update.

I'm now getting random restarts/freezing when stress testing with OCCT, Prime95, or even just gaming.

The 2700X is being run at stock clocks. Temperatures aren't an issue as the CPU stays below 60 during stress testing, and the motherboard VRMs under 80 as I have added heatsinks and a fan to it.

I used to run my 1700 at 3.8GHz on all cores with 1.35V and it was very stable. I have updated the UEFI to the latest version, installed the AMD chipset drivers, and changed the Windows power plan to balanced. I did have Ryzen balanced previously but I heard it's not good for the 2nd gen Ryzen. Is it my motherboard that's not up to the task?

Is your RAM set to XMP? There is another RAM setting that usually has to be invoked with Ryzen's to get them to overclock but I can't think of it now. Speed down? Something like that.

Is there a contradiction in your post? You say you changed the power scheme to balanced but you heard that wasn't good for second generation Ryzens? Why did you change it to that then?

The most recent AM4 bios updates have had a lot of problems across the spectrum of board manufacturers or so I have gleaned from this forum. Yet, I realize you had to update your bios in order to be able to run Ryzen 2.

Is it my motherboard that's not up to the task?

Possibly. The Gigabyte GA-AB350M was a bargain board when it came out. The ASRock B450M PRO4 motherboard is only $54.99 after rebate at Newegg right now with free shipping. Maybe having the current chipset might do the trick.

Have you updated to current BIOS (lastest). That sometimes helps with stability issues?

On what frequency you have set RAM? This could be because memory instability. I learned that most important parameters are CAD BUS and termination block.

Back