• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2700X vs 3600X on a B450

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jarhead7236

I know that the 3600X is a "better" chip than the 2700X but is that performance solely based on being paired with an X570? is that performance margin negated, somewhat, on a B450 board?

Actually it depends on if per core clocks speed/IPC is more important than core count or less important, which depends on your workload/use case. However for gaming yes this is true. While some b450 boards are not well suited to 8 or more core CPUs (such as the 2700x) they should all be okay for 6 core CPUs. However the problems arise with compatibility as some of the bios updates with the new platform can be finicky. If you already have the B450 board go for it.

Actually it depends on if per core clocks speed/IPC is more important than core count or less important, which depends on your workload/use case. However for gaming yes this is true. While some b450 boards are not well suited to 8 or more core CPUs (such as the 2700x) they should all be okay for 6 core CPUs. However the problems arise with compatibility as some of the bios updates with the new platform can be finicky. If you already have the B450 board go for it.

I just don't see myself grabbing a 570 board at this point in the "new" build...I grabbed a new CPU cooler (wasn't at all happy with load temps with the stock cooler at stock settings) and figured why not grab a 2700X as well since the price is right. i'm only going to be editing photos :/...maybe play a couple of games but nothing remotely intense.

If you are not going to be doing any heavy multithreaded workloads, I'd go for a R5 3600.
A B450 board should handle it just fine.

They boost to the same clock on paper, (the 3600 might not boost as high real world, BIOS updates have been promised etc), but the 3600 has a 13% IPC boost. So not a huge difference, plus you get two more cores. You're looking at difference of 5-15fps most games.

got bored while waiting for the missus...new build parts on their way (vid cards will be swapped...and the prism cooler will go on the 3200G)...thought I was over this whole thing ;)

Back