• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2nd FX-8120 still running hot, now what?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Don't think so eh? :) Feast your eyes on this:

8120-3.6GHZ.JPG
note: 125W CPU

And that's with a V6GT :) :comp:

Edit: BTW room temp is 82f

Keep in mind that my core temps are low like yours. The problem for me is the socket temp gets rediculously hot because of all the thermal leakage. I don't think the V6GT will do nearly as well with an FX processor unless AMD comes out with a new stepping that dramatically improves temps.

Last edited:
Upon further investigation I did confirm that AMD did start producing 95W TDP 8 core fX CPUs. It was a later stepping. I don't think Egg ever carried them, however.

Hi guys it was Thermal throttling as have always had Apm switched off in all my tests (prob should have said) i have turbo off apm off and i have a option in bios called thermal throttling which was the only thing which stopped this chip throttling back, apm is only used in auto clock mode and is disabled once you manually set values :)

Ps all the things you mentioned should be switched off i have, but with Thermal throttling enabled it still throttles back :)

But this system is not overclocked, right? Frequencies and voltages are on Auto you say.

But this system is not overclocked, right? Frequencies and voltages are on Auto you say.

Hi yes my system is overclocked as stated in original reply and not on auto :)

Attached is a pic of my CPU advanced bios setting..

Attachments

• 20121102_150856-1[1].jpg
    20121102_150856-1[1].jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 81
This is the first I've hear of an actual Thermal Throttle switch in bios. Maybe ASRock is in the vanguard here for solving the down-throttling issues with the FX CPUs.

This is the first I've hear of an actual Thermal Throttle switch in bios. Maybe ASRock is in the vanguard here for solving the down-throttling issues with the FX CPUs.

Think that this settings going to cause less-aware people to melt holes where their sockets used to be, haha. I can't wait to get that service request..

Was Overclocking, and uh.. my socket hit 106c. I think I might have broken..everything..

My wife's piledriver gets the socket pretty darn hot too (Even though the core temps stay quite low) Not enough to throttle, but close-- Is everybody here suggesting that this is fixed by setting up a dedicated fan to blow on the BACK of the motherboard?

Think that this settings going to cause less-aware people to melt holes where their sockets used to be, haha. I can't wait to get that service request..

Was Overclocking, and uh.. my socket hit 106c. I think I might have broken..everything..

My wife's piledriver gets the socket pretty darn hot too (Even though the core temps stay quite low) Not enough to throttle, but close-- Is everybody here suggesting that this is fixed by setting up a dedicated fan to blow on the BACK of the motherboard?

Lol As long as you have experience overclocking (as you do) turning this off will not melt a hole in anything as stated the core temps are 22c away from reaching their max load even though socket temp is reporting 64c at 3.5ghz under load. Socket temp is really not a good thing to judge the heat with these chips as it really does seem there's a problem. And as stated these chips will throttle back at 55c socket temp while cores are at 35c which is way under AMD's safe limit. So in reflection the socket temp throttling is stopping this chip reaching full performance.

Ad.

That motherboard doesn't seem to be available in the US. It has an Nvidia chipset. Who made the bios? AMI?

do you have a fan blowing air directly on the socket/vrm section.
6 and 8 cores draw a heck of a lot of current and many times an after market cooler takes the airflow away from this area even if you have good case airflow.

Lol As long as you have experience overclocking (as you do) turning this off will not melt a hole in anything as stated the core temps are 22c away from reaching their max load even though socket temp is reporting 64c at 3.5ghz under load. Socket temp is really not a good thing to judge the heat with these chips as it really does seem there's a problem. And as stated these chips will throttle back at 55c socket temp while cores are at 35c which is way under AMD's safe limit. So in reflection the socket temp throttling is stopping this chip reaching full performance.Ad.

Yeah, but the health of the CPU is not the only consideration. You have to watch out for motherboard components too, like mosfets. And the board current under discussion has no sinks on the mosfets.

Last edited:

Yeah it might be a new thing with Asrock not sure mate ? I am so happy with the way this machine is running now, Deus Ex HR used to run at 70 fps until about 5 mins of play then it would slow down to about 25 fps due to throttle back, and it doesn't take much to make these chips throttle. Now it runs at 80 fps constant !! No slowdown and max socket temp of 64c with max core temp of 38-40c so in theory that's safe :)

Ad.

Yeah no heatsinks on VRM just using My arctic freezer 13 i know what you're saying about that but that's why i haven't overclocked it to like 4.2 ghz I've gone for a mid clock of 3.5ghz which still gives me better performance than when it was on turbo mode clocked to 4.2ghz. Really don't think my settings will damage the board at all :)

If i was running it at 4.2ghz at over 70c socket i would be worried.

Adam.

Kind of in the same boat with high cpu temps. I'm running my 8150 in a CHIVE using the Kuhler 920. I'm pretty much static at 4.876 GHz with core temps at 68 C. during Prime95. Socket temps are through the roof at 78~79 C. peak, which is pretty insane, but still stable.

What I have noticed though is that the thermal transfer rate on this particular water cooler is not good. I see approximately a 40 C. differential between CPU socket temps and coolant temps. I would have to think there's a problem either in the conjunction between the water block/CPU or within the water block and the coolant itself. I've used both the stock TIM and Arctic Silver 5 and although a bit better with AS5, there's still way too great a differential to allow any higher overclocking.

-Rodger

You can do better temps ab out -2C by lapping the copper transfer plate(because from the factory it`s machined and still has grooves).At least that helped me

Is everybody here suggesting that this is fixed by setting up a dedicated fan to blow on the BACK of the motherboard?

What I have found and I thank caddiedaddie for this tidbit is a combination of having a fan blow across the VRM / Socket area and a fan at the back of the socket sucking heat away from the socket significantly help with socket temps.

Mr. Trents, unless you are suffering severe overheating of the socket/vrm section the fan under the motherboard tray should take air out of the case. If the over heating is severe as was the issue for me to the point that the motherboard standoffs were getting hot the fan installs as intake, when installed as intake you blow cool air on the temp sensor and the socket/vrm temp reads low.
the back side of the board only needs a little airflow, I had three 120-38 133cfm fans exausting out of the top of my case so i could remove the fan and just install a grill over it and that was enough airflow to cool the area and not fool the sensor to much.

I am suggesting a fan blowing directly on the vrm section, lots of cfm directly in cpu/vrm section.

Back