• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2x8gb single module vs 16gb kit

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dream3

Registered
Hi there!

I just bought 2 sticks of single 8gb corsair vengeance ram.

Then I googled some ram overcloking stuff and people seem to make a difference between 2x sticks single module vs a kit (i.e. 16gb - 2x8gb), same specs, same veverything.

Is that true? Does not having a kit affects overcloking? Corsair says it's single module, does that mean Im not getting dual channel with my 2 sticks even if my mobo supports it?

Last edited:
Wow 16 gb on 1 stick. I say, if you will need craploads of ram, its better for upgrades. Else, go with multiple stick kits. Cheaper, may perform better too. :)

No it's not 16gb one stick, sorry if im being misunderstood but what I wanna know is the difference between a kit 2x8gb vs 2x single sticks 8gb.

By kit I meant 2x sticks.

Oh yeah,

Well, most people get sticks together(in kits) since they come in from same manufacturer, same clocks at the same voltage, and probably from the same batch, so they play well with each other. And if they rarely don't work together well, you can return them both instead of having to test which one is acting up extensively.

Well my 2 single 8gb sticks have survived 2 passes in memtest but im not sure if the scene will remain the same after I try to overclock it a little bit....

And exchanging them is kind of a hassle around here, thats why im asking. If I know for sure Ill ever run into problems, then I guess it would be worth exchanging them, otherwise, dont think so.

Your alwais better to buy your ram as a kit to make sure you wont end up with compatibility issue. Another thing to check is the QVL from your motherboard to make sure the kit your are buying will work with the board you have. The QVL do not hold the absolute truth about compatibility but your alwais better to put all chance on your side.

I run mixed RAM with several of my systems with no ill effects. The systems run properly with dual channels and all. The kits are with different manufactures and and different stock ratings. Though, if I'm not mistaken kit RAM is about the same price as single module, if not cheaper. So why take a chance if you don't have to. Did you get them for cheap?

The only difference I know of is that Corsair actually tests the entire kit together. With single sticks, they're only tested individually.

Back