• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

3.0c swap to 3.4E 478

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Rodman

Registered
I was wondering if I could stick this chip in, fire up my system and have everything boot correctly? I wan't to just swap my 3.0c with the 3.4E, then crank it to 3.8 ;) Maybe 4.0 :D Anyway, I won't have to reformat my hardrive or install a bunch of new drivers will I?

One other thing will doing this upgrade be worth it, will I see a big diff?

XP won't have any problem with it, tho you will need to redo your custom bios settings.

You will have no problems at all!! Windows will have NO problems.
Just make sure you have the latest bios for your motherboard and it supports Prescott's and your good to go!!

Good luck!!

Ed

I've swapped my CPU's many times without a problem, however on 2 occasions (out of maybe 15+) i had windows take a dump on me post CPU swap (NTDLR Missing Error). I think those were isolated events as i have some of the worst luck with windows myself. Like Ed pointed out, make sure your BIOS is pressy ready and you should be fine. You might get a "CPU has changed or become unworkable" message in the BIOS, that happens to me everytime, just reset cmos and re-enter the settings you desire.

I just replaced my 2.6C with a 3.2E this morning. Using IC7 MAX3. I shut down and booted into the bios and set everything to default in Softmenu. Booted into Windows completely then shutdown. Removed and replaced CPU. Am currently using stock HSF. Booted into Windows at default. Shutdown. Booted into bios set fsb to 240, ram to 5:4, And fixed PCI/AGP. Set vcore to 1.42 for burnin. Currently burning in at 3.850 with a bigpack 1324 (12.6 min per frame). Temp is 55c with a case temp of 24c and a full load of 55c. I will not go above 3.9 (memory) and hope to drop several clicks in voltage. Hope this helps.

Back