• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

3 dead AMD CPU's...Problems unlocking 2100+

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

{X-H}KnownKiller

Registered
Well... I've had a real bad night. Really a real damn bad whole 2 weeks... Started ever since i went watercooling and decided to try to add move voltage to the CPU. Anyways i really rather not talk about that right now.. end result after breakin a pin and trying to fix that by connecting the brokin pin to a ground was lets see... a dead 1.2 athlon, 1.4 athlon and a 2000+ XP chip. Lots of fun eh?

The problem i'm having right now is unlocking my newest chip that i over payed for, the 2100+.. I have attempted to unlock this thing over 10 times hehe.. I used my trusted method of red nail polish and a conductive pen.. I tried that a bunch of times and no go... Its being so wierd that whatever multiplier i try its really staying at 13.5 i think.. If i try rasin the FSB a tad to 137 or so the cpu will start up at 1950+... eheh. strange eh? I got so fustrated that i used super glue to fill the pits.. THat didnt work either.. What i forgot to do was clean out the pits from the last attempt before i glued over them. I think thats where my prob is.

I thought that it wouldnt matter if there was anything conductive in the pits as long as it didnt touch the stuff on the bridges.. So i have cleaned it off good with some nail polish remover and tried it again and no go.. I cleaned it off and used the nail polish again and no go.. I have tried to scrap out the pits and it aint working.. I'm even using a microscope to look at the pits and there gold looking.. I guess copper filled..

So the question is... WHAT AM I DOING WRONG!!!!!!!!! heheh.

Is it possable that there is some conductive ink traped in the pits thats messing the unlock up?

I'm having the worst luck in the world with computer lately.. Destroyed a KR7AR-133 by yanking the wire off the volt mod i did to it and taking the pin off the little chip.. Because of that i fired a 1.2 and my 2000+ CPUs... I didnt seat my 1.4 CPU right and almost cooked it at 159 F! I thought i saved the chip and it was sweatin under the waterblock only touching half the CPU die. The chip works but it will error in less then 2 mins.. in either computer i put it in.

Man when the 1.2 and the 1.4 went all i heard was a nice load POP! noise..

I'm on my spare computer right now using the only CPU i got left a 4 day old 2100+ that wont unlock.. I need a replacement motherboard fast but the fiancee' dont want to hear about it anymore! hehe.. Damnit... someone put me out of my missery!

:(

Thanks man .... No i didnt know about that but was thinking that i might have to do that... Scary to think that after all of my super bad luck i've been having that i'm gona have to cut a ton of bridges to unlock this chip.. yikes! I will have to pray to the overclocking gods that i dont kill another CPU..

Rather than risking yet another CPU and $250, why don't you clean it off real nice, return it, and get a 2000 which is relatively easy to unlock? Those can get up to the high 1800's (the max stable for an XP) on air, and you got water!

--Illah

Back