• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

3 heatsink choices,opinions?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

eobard

Give me a break Senior
I just got a new mobo/cpu combo and I have 3 choices as to what cooler to use without putting out any more $ to get something else. The answer is a bit complicated due to mounting. The Cpu is an AMD fx-8320. So here are my three options, what would you recomend and why?

1) Default AMD heatsink. Small, light, does have heatpipes, 70mm fan.

2) Zalman CNPS5X. Small, light, heatpipes, 92mm tower. Suggested for 95w but see #3.

3) OCZ Vendetta II. Large, heavy, heatpipes 120mm tower. Built for higher wattage than #2 and based on all online reviews I've found it beats the Zalman but it can only be mounted the "wrong way", top-to-bottom, not front-to-back, so it has limited airflow.

If you're running stock speeds you should be fine with any of the three. If planning on overclocking depending on how far is going to be the deciding factor. What motherboard did you get with it, it will also be a contributing factor on how far you can push.

just like Mandrake,
any cooler will be fine if you're not going OC.

but if it's me, I'll take number 3.
so even if I'm not going to OC, I can lower the fan speed to reduce the noise

if memory serves me the 8320 is a 125w cpu I would not consider putting anything of the 93w variety on it. why not check the fs section for better options (shameless plug lol)

I'd go #3.

These chips run hot, even@stock.

Mounting it "the wrong way" should not have a huge impact, as soon as you add a fan on the top of the case that feeds the heatsink fans from top to bottom.

It is a 125w chip. The case it's going to be housed in (for now) lacks a topside fan mount, its built for front-to-back air flow. That's part of my indecision regarding not just automatically going with option #3, which normally would be the easy choice. Mobo is ASUS M5A99X EVO. Ultimately I will be pushing it as far as I can but for now I'm thinking only a 10% OC or so.

The evo should be able to take it to 4.5GHz at least. Not many VRMs, but very good ones.

The evo should be able to take it to 4.5GHz at least. Not many VRMs, but very good ones.

^^^^This, I had my 8350 on my m5a99x EVO and it's a great board. It just doesn't have the guys to push it stable above 4.5. If you're definitely going to overclock I don't think any of those heatsinks are going to cut it. 125 w is a laughable Tdp yeah with c & q on maybe. Turn it off and have all 8 cores running oc'ed it's far beyond a 125w chip

Back