• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

3090 FE Memory Cooling - 25C drop in temp hack.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Douken

Today I was reading this article about a 25C drop in memory temperature in the FE.
This guy here explains very well a mod for the 3090 Founders Edition by changing all the thermal pads to aftermarket ones. His memory temperature drops from 110C to 86C under load.

In the video he uses the Thermalright brand which have a 12.8W m/K thermal conductivity. The best ones are the Fujipoly Ultra Extreme XR at 17W m/K but they are exactly 3 times more expensive.

What are your temperatures?

Last edited:
I would do it if I thought it would help with my 3090 FTW3. My Memory Junction Temp runs in the mid-high 90s all the time, even if I cut memory and GPU speed and power limits down. I have to cut mining down to 50% productivity to get reasonable temp drops. I'm not 100% convinced it's necessary to worry about these temps as long as your card isn't throttling - I have heard at 110ºC it does and alot of cards are bumping this limit - particularly ASUS.

I need to watch some videos and see if anyone is changing the pads or improving cooling on the FTW3 with decent results, but I'm also considering moving to WC as well, so that's another option.

I keep my 3070 at +1300 memory overclock while mining and the Hot Spot temp stays at about 67°c. I have also adjusted the Power limit to 55% and the fans are fixed at 70%. That helps a ton.

I keep my 3070 at +1300 memory overclock while mining and the Hot Spot temp stays at about 67°c. I have also adjusted the Power limit to 55% and the fans are fixed at 70%. That helps a ton.

The RTX 3090 and 3080 use GDDR6X which delivers 4 instructions per clock VS the 2 of standard GDDR6, it does run hot.

Wonder if this voids the warranty. Pretty scary to muck with a $1500+ card, I might have to try it... when its out of warranty =P

Wonder if this voids the warranty. Pretty scary to muck with a $1500+ card, I might have to try it... when its out of warranty =P

I would think it wouldn't, I mean, does it void your warranty to put it under water? Some of the waterblocks require a backplate replacement, along with the thermal pads.

I could be wrong, I don't know. The new EK blocks have active cooling on the backplate. They've not got the FTW3 version out yet, but I'm seriously considering it. Maybe I should email EVGA about it, since I just spent $60 increasing my warranty to 10y....

Back