• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

32 bit version on 64 bit machine

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mrsteve0924

Cubed Beef Stew Member
i installed the 32 bit version of linux mint on a USB drive with a persistent file and can't get it to boot up on a 64 bit machine. i have another usb with the 32 bit version with no persistent file and it does boot up.

i've tried swapping usb drives, different size persistent files, no file, etc.

any ideas?

I dont know of any reason for that install not to work. Have you checked the stick? maybe run it through diskpart >list disk> select disk> clean all for windows or Gparted (or something similar) for Linux then try again ? My money is on the image being currupt or the stick being bad, but whatever it is I am curious to know :D

I dont know of any reason for that install not to work. Have you checked the stick? maybe run it through diskpart >list disk> select disk> clean all for windows or Gparted (or something similar) for Linux then try again ? My money is on the image being currupt or the stick being bad, but whatever it is I am curious to know :D

well i used universal usb installer to format and install mint to the usb. i guess i can try something else. not familiar with gparted. can i use that to create bootable usb?

GParted will clean and format the disk for you. I recommended it because it has a GUI and works very well. For command line I would say use fdisk, but I am shakey on my command line so I dont make a whole lot of recommendations for CLI.

I gave the advice that I did simply because it has been the solution for me with both Mint and Ubuntu (server and desktop version) as well as a couple others. I dont know why -maybe my USB sticks are getting old- but the first thing I always check when there is a problem is the integrity of the media and the checksum on the download. Ive never had to go past those 2 steps so I hope it is that simple for you as well. good luck

well i used universal usb installer to format and install mint to the usb. i guess i can try something else. not familiar with gparted. can i use that to create bootable usb?

Unetbootin will create a bootable USB for you; has versions for Linux, OS X and Windows.

Debian based distros will should have unetbootin in the Repos.

so i reinstalled using unetbootin and the 32 bit linux mint version with persistent file now runs on my 64 bit machine. must have been something up with UUI

thanks all

so i reinstalled using unetbootin and the 32 bit linux mint version with persistent file now runs on my 64 bit machine. must have been something up with UUI

thanks all

Glad you got it fixed. Unetbootin and its brother/sister utilities will work with different success rates based on OS version/type and hardware. Unetbootin seems to have it locked down for almost everything you can think of. I wont say that it "always works" but pretty close.

Definitely use unetbootin, I like yumi. Unfortunately it could be a bad DL, or bad write to the drive, or your computer sneezed instead of farted. Not necessarily user error, sometimes you just have to start the process over and retry.

Back