• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

32gb dd4 2666mhz vs 16gb 3200mhz

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Firey_chasm

If you don't need the capacity, go for the faster RAM. You can always upgrade it later. If you need the space, get the higher capacity.

EDIT: Also make sure you are comparing all aspects of speed, not just the frequency.

Seconded. If you are not using the capacity (to use 16 gigabytes you either already know you will be using it or you are likely not going to be using it) then there is no reason to get more. Additionally, I would add that you should check how ram speed changes performance (in many cases the differences in performance are negligible). As thideras implied, often to reach higher clock speeds latency timings are loosened. This trades speed in some applications for slowness in others.

Thanks for the responses, my problem at the moment is trying to judge if I will go over 16gb usage or not. Areas of concern for me are some games are now listing 8gb as recommended specs (GTA V and Witcher 3 as an example). Now if that is what is mentioned I am sure they can eat up more than that as well. Combine that with other software running on my PC simultaneously I could be getting close to 14-16gb usage right off the bat (moving on 5+years this could very easily increase). To upgrade my memory in a few years would involve completely replacing the memory as mITX rigs only have 2 dimm slots, so although memory will be cheaper then I am not sure if it would save me anything.

This means it is down to a question of responsiveness and speed:
2666mhz at 16-18-18-35
or 3000mhz at 15-17-17-35

This is what I am thinking:
http://www.scan.co.uk/products/16gb...-(3000)-non-ecc-unbuffered-cas-15-17-17-35-xm
or
http://www.scan.co.uk/products/32gb...0-(2666)-non-ecc-unbuffered-cas-16-18-18-35-x

My personal history with PCs is memory capping can be one of the most annoying limitations as it causes all of windows to just chug along.

16GB is plenty for most users, particularly gamers. If you need more, get more later. But 32GB now, if you don't run VM's, etc, is a waste of cash.

Back