• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking DDR3 2400mhz to 2666mhz or even 3200mhz

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TheWhiteRose000

Registered
I am looking into updating my ram for an entirely new system, my CPU is a 4790k, on a MSI Gaming 6 motherboard.
I have seen on ebay two kits of 2666mhz RAM for absurd amounts of money and so I was wondering if its possible to buy this
cheaper RAM off newegg clocked at 2400mhz from G.skill and push it to 2666mhz or even 3200mhz.

What would the timings be for that, can anyone help?
Also would the 3200mhz run way to hot or damage them?
Thanks for your time!

:D:eek:

I had a G-Skill TridentX 2400MHz CL10 4x4 and I couldn't push it much beyond the XMP, but on the other hand I had a quad channel X79 board with 8 slots. From what I know, boards with 2 RAM slots overclock better, low memory capacity sticks overclock better, and single rank sticks overclock better. I think Woomack achieved 3000+ with some kits but I don't know if it's 24/7 stable. Try to see if he reviewed the memory that you're interested in: https://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php/732290-Woomack-s-memory-test-list

It depends on luck of course, but in general a 4790k with Z97 board should be able to handle 2666.

It is possible... but what settings they will accept and be stable is a good question. They should run 3200 Mhz without damage or too hot.

What sticks, EXACTLY, do you have? MOtherboard? Etc...? How about creating a signature with your system specs? :)

I am looking into updating my ram for an entirely new system, my CPU is a 4790k, on a MSI Gaming 6 motherboard.
I have seen on ebay two kits of 2666mhz RAM for absurd amounts of money and so I was wondering if its possible to buy this
cheaper RAM off newegg clocked at 2400mhz from G.skill and push it to 2666mhz or even 3200mhz. Possible, yes. 2666 should be fairly easy for most 2400 G.Skill ram though some models certainly clock better than other. Which model specifically?

What would the timings be for that, can anyone help? That would depend on the model number. The list Yoadknux linked is a great starting point.
Also would the 3200mhz run way to hot or damage them? They would only run hotter if raising the voltage a significant amount. That said if you stay within the Ram's limits and ensure there is proper airflow over the Ram heatsinks there will be no issues, or damage.
Thanks for your time!

:D:eek:

My i7-4790k would clock my 2x4 G.Skill Sniper 2133Mhz sticks at 2400Mhz all day with a slight bump in voltage. This was on a much more capable board though.

Well, I was able to win the bid for the Xtreme 2666mhz 32gb ram kit and I know Keny on these forums worked with it prior getting it to 3.8mhz, I am hoping he remembers the timing to push it to 3.2
the RAM will probably be here in 2-3 weeks.
Time of this report: 4/22/2019, 11:47:22
Machine name: DESKTOP-EKN2JGV
Machine Id: {F56E270A-05DC-4C78-AFED-CBBBB1659E45}
Operating System: Windows 10 Home 64-bit (10.0, Build 16299) (16299.rs3_release_svc.180808-1748)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: MSI
System Model: MS-7917
BIOS: V10.3
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4790K CPU @ 4.00GHz (8 CPUs), ~4.0GHz
Memory: 16384MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 16332MB RAM
Page File: 12452MB used, 8232MB available
Windows Dir: C:\Windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 12
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
User DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
Miracast: Available, with HDCP
Microsoft Graphics Hybrid: Not Supported
DxDiag Version: 10.00.16299.0015 64bit Unicode

I am hoping he remembers the timing to push it to 3.2
Not sure if he posts here still.. but again, it may be different depending on your config. Cookie cutter settings may work or may not. I would simply try setting it to 3200 Mhz, adding .1V for the RAM and loosen timings by two. Then the game becomes tightening the timings down and lowering the voltage.

Not sure if he posts here still.. but again, it may be different depending on your config. Cookie cutter settings may work or may not. I would simply try setting it to 3200 Mhz, adding .1V for the RAM and loosen timings by two. Then the game becomes tightening the timings down and lowering the voltage.

I sent him a message, and hope he can help me out. I'd really love to just be able to push it towards my boards max, I don't want to OC the CPU, just the ram cap it out.

Why just the RAM? You'll get little returns for the effort in most cases. You will get much better performance increases overclocking the CPU.

I don't want to risk damaging the CPU, RAM = Lifetime Warranty, CPU = boned and I don't have the money to buy a new one.
The other reason is just once I want to own something that will be caped for its maximum performance.

You've been here since 2010... time to get some fortitude and OC that CPU so you actually get a benefit out of it. :)

Really, though its nice to 'cap' something out, lifetime warranty or not there will be few, if any benefits in doing so.

That CPU should handle 4.5GHz+ (depending on cooling, I don't see a signature with all your hardware) with minimal voltage changes and live a long and healthy life. If money was an issue, I honestly wouldn't have even bought new RAM as again, little to no performance increases and the time to get it right just isn't worth it.

Anyway, I hope he responds and helps you out... as well as the cookie cutter settings working for you... though I fear you may actually have to try a bit. ;)

Well, right now its a full system rebuild long story short going for game design and development needed more ram, do a lot of video editing, and obviously gaming.
Ended up in a pretty bad relationship won't get into the details and ended up using a now ancient 1366 socket CPU. So need a better system on a budget, I was able to grab the 4790k and the board for $360 on ebay.
The ram I got for cheap too, like wow kinda cheap. But can't afford to really risk pushing the CPU, system has to last me a while in adverse circumstances (literally living in a house with almost no floor.)

I know the benefits are minimum, but after the whole stuck using shiz situation, for me its a matter of pride just to push the system to its maximum peak to finally own something I've always wanted.

You could have bought a more capable Ryzen build for about the same price. That being a moot point I'd like to mention that a lifetime warranty is pretty useless once the manufacturers stop making that generation. (i.e. the lifetime warranty on my G.Skill DDR2 Pi's would likely get replaced with some DDR4 sticks as the DDR2 inventory is long gone.) I'm sure they still have DDR3 inventory, but for how long? Just my opinion of course.

You could have bought a more capable Ryzen build for about the same price. That being a moot point I'd like to mention that a lifetime warranty is pretty useless once the manufacturers stop making that generation. (i.e. the lifetime warranty on my G.Skill DDR2 Pi's would likely get replaced with some DDR4 sticks as the DDR2 inventory is long gone.) I'm sure they still have DDR3 inventory, but for how long? Just my opinion of course.

Hmm, duly noted.

There is a really low chance you can set DDR3 past 3000 stable. Most platforms won't support that. Most memory IC won't support that too. You can make it almost only on higher binned Hynix MFR. Even if you set it past 3000 then it will offer lower performance than Samsungs at 2666 and tighter timings.

Here is my Xtreem /Hynix MFR thread - https://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php/728364-Team-Group-Xtreem-8GB-DDR3-2666-C11
and DDR3-3840 result in single channel which is really far from stable ... but was #1 DDR3 result on air for a long time - https://valid.x86.fr/show_oc.php?id=2878835

The best dual rank / 8GB Hynix MFR that I had were Patriot Viper kits. I was able to boot them at DDR3-3200 and were even benchable but not stable above DDR3-2933.
Here is one screenshot of this kit at DDR4-2800 CL11(4x8GB) as I can't find anything higher clocked (for sure is somewhere on the forums):
Patriot_32GB_2800C11_AIDAOC.jpg

Back