• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

3500+ AMD 64 K8n Neo2, Now what Mem?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
No just say no. :) Platinum rev2 yes, big difference. Both can be found at newegg.com. If you're going the OCZ route I suggest the PC3200 platinum rev2. If you go with the equally excellent G.skills then get either the LC or LE set for 2x512 or the LA set if you're only in the market for 2x256.

Can you recommend a higher speed OCZ then? Was looking for something a bit better :D

The reason I ask all this is I have pc3200 ram 1GB, some generic but spending 260-350 for ram the same speed??? Woah

Last edited:
Why are you looking at pricewatch...newegg is one of the few offical NA relsellers...excailiberpc used to before it closed...

And I spent less then 260 for my 1G of LC at newegg...

And you do get what you pay for ;)...

I have yet to see any Pats or OCZ able to benchmark at 275/5-3-3-2.5/1T/1:1 timings with 2.85v...and completely stable at 5-3-4-2.5 up to 290FSB/HT...

DeeXGod said:
Can you recommend a higher speed OCZ then? Was looking for something a bit better :D

The reason I ask all this is I have pc3200 ram 1GB, some generic but spending 260-350 for ram the same speed??? Woah

You don't understand. The speed ratings are absolutely completely and totally meaningless. Ignore them when dealing with TCCD. I have OCZ PC3200 platinum rev2 I'm currently running at 265x10 1:1 2.5-3-3-8 1T and 2.5v. The memory will operate at 300Mhz(DDR600) w/ 3-4-4-8 1T timings also at 2.5v. Not too shabby for newegg refurbs. :p It has precisely the same chips as g.skill PC4400 LE modules. This memory or g.skill are about the best of the Samsung TCCD modules currently available.

glock19owner said:
I have yet to see any Pats or OCZ able to benchmark at 275/5-3-3-2.5/1T/1:1 timings with 2.85v...and completely stable at 5-3-4-2.5 up to 290FSB/HT...

I guess I shall have to whip up some benchies for you then. Once I figured out just how much these things HATE voltage I got a whole bunch more raw speed from them, but the timings at 265-270 still offer superior bandwidth. There's also some benchies of these modules head to head at anandtech.com:

http://www.anandtech.com/memory/showdoc.aspx?i=2226&p=21

Attachments

• 4883.png
    4883.png
    21.8 KB · Views: 151
Last edited:
TimoneX said:
You don't understand. The speed ratings are absolutely completely and totally meaningless. Ignore them when dealing with TCCD. I have OCZ PC3200 platinum rev2 I'm currently running at 265x10 1:1 2.5-3-3-8 1T and 2.5v. The memory will operate at 300Mhz(DDR600) w/ 3-4-4-8 1T timings also at 2.5v. It has precisely the same chips as g.skill PC4400 LE modules. This memory or g.skill are about the best of the Samsung TCCD modules currently available.

Sorry...have to ask this...where does it state that OCZ will run at DDR600 gauranteed?

Also...where does it state that OCZ or any other TCCD will run at PC4400 specs gauranteed, besides G. SKill?

And speeds are not completely and totally meaningless...not all TCCD will do 5-2-2-2 and 8-4-4-2.5...so this is not totally meaningless...

And just because it stated it is TCCD does not mean it will run at PC4400+ specs...there are a lot of TCCD memory chips that will not do past 260 - 270 max...and this is from the same memory chips...

But once again...the OCZ and G. Skills are totally different...the G. Skill uses a redesigned PCB board which helps the G. Skills run the way it does...and not all TCCD chips make it to G. Skills standards...G. Skill truely hand picks the chips for the LE and LA models...and 1 out of 10 TCCD chips do not make it to the LE standard...and most of the ones that are left wont even make it past LD (worse G. Skill rated model)...those are in turn resold to other companys...

So You really need to stop saying OCZ and G. Skill are one in the same when in fact they are not...they might use the same TCCD chips...but that as far as the compairison goes...they do not use the same Brain PCB...and their standard of testing is far more better then other companys...which is why G. Skill is able to double rate and gaurantee that they will run at both of those specs...

Lets see you RMA PAts or OCZ just because they wont do 275FSB/HT at 2.85v...I can with my G. Skills...

Last edited:
Who said anything about a guarantee? I'm referring to my memory. I believe you know I was referring to the speed ratings of TCCD based modules. OCZ PC3200EL platinum rev2 and g.skill PC4400LE have the same memory chips(Samsung TCCD 437) and the same PC boards. It's reasonable to assume similar performance, and the reality is they're similar. If the ratings were all that meaningfull then why is g.skill's top memory rated at PC3200 on newegg.com?

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=20-231-007&depa=0

This PC3200 is as good or better than anything g.skill offers. The PC3200 rating is meaningless here.

TimoneX said:
Who said anything about a guarantee? I'm referring to my memory. I believe you know I was referring to the speed ratings of TCCD based modules. If the ratings were all that meaningfull then why is g.skill's top memory rated at PC3200 on newegg.com?

This PC3200 is as good or better than anything g.skill offers. The PC3200 rating is meaningless here.

Look at the pics...says PC3200 and DDR600 ;)...

TimoneX said:
Who said anything about a guarantee? I'm referring to my memory. I believe you know I was referring to the speed ratings of TCCD based modules. If the ratings were all that meaningfull then why is g.skill's top memory rated at PC3200 on newegg.com?

Also...reread my post...you will see that I stated that TCCD chips are the same...but the redsigned PCB and a few other trade secrets is what makes G. Skill able to offer what they do...with the backing they do...

There is more to memory then just the chips it has one them ;)...ask some of the PAT owners that have the older brain PCB...most of them cant hit past 260 stable...

...and?

It says this:
Model# F1-3200DSU2-512LA
Item # N82E16820231007
Specifications:
Manufacturer: G.skill
Speed: DDR400(PC3200)
Type: 184-Pin DDR SDRAM
Error Checking: Non-ECC
Registered/Unbuffered: Unbuffered
Cas Latency: 2-2-2-5
Support Voltage: 2.65~2.85 V
Bandwidth: 3.2GB/s
Organization: two 32M x 64-Bit
Warranty: Lifetime

So on the package it has a rating for [email protected]. Super fantastic...now ummm...what command rate is that again? There are probably dozens of modules that can do DDR600 at 2T. Whether this one can or not is essentially irrelevent. You seem to be operating under the misconception that I have something against g.skill or their fine memory products. I do not, I think they're fantastic, but they're most definately not the only game in town.

glock19owner said:
Look at the pics...says PC3200 and DDR600 ;)...

Also...reread my post...you will see that I stated that TCCD chips are the same...but the redsigned PCB and a few other trade secrets is what makes G. Skill able to offer what they do...with the backing they do...

There is more to memory then just the chips it has one them ;)...ask some of the PAT owners that have the older brain PCB...most of them cant hit past 260 stable...

Well bravo for them. Alot of companies speed bin their chips. Listen the simple fact is that if there were 2x512Gb g.skill LA kits widely available here in the states I may well have bought them instead. There isn't that I'm aware of and if there was it would probably extrapolate to around $290 which is $50 more than what I paid for the OCZ modules I have now. Maybe they'd be worth more maybe they wouldn't I dunno, but they're not currently available and I'm not going with 2x256 so that left 2x512Mb LE modules for $27 more. I flipped a coin. :p

TimoneX said:
...and?

It says this:
Model# F1-3200DSU2-512LA
Item # N82E16820231007
Specifications:
Manufacturer: G.skill
Speed: DDR400(PC3200)
Type: 184-Pin DDR SDRAM
Error Checking: Non-ECC
Registered/Unbuffered: Unbuffered
Cas Latency: 2-2-2-5
Support Voltage: 2.65~2.85 V
Bandwidth: 3.2GB/s
Organization: two 32M x 64-Bit
Warranty: Lifetime

So on the package it has a rating for [email protected]. Super fantastic...now ummm...what command rate is that again? There are probably dozens of modules that can do DDR600 at 2T. Whether this one can or not is essentially irrelevent. You seem to be operating under the misconception that I have something against g.skill or their fine memory products. I do not, I think they're fantastic, but they're most definately not the only game in town.

Command rate for LA 512 is 1T...command rate for 1G LA is 2T...

And no I dont have that misconeption...the only thing I have is with you saying both OCZ and G. Skill are the same when in fact...the only thing that is the same about OCZ and G. Skill is they use the same TCCD chips as Mushkin, PATs, etc...but the brain PCB is totally different...which is the reason for the better OC and better bandwidth with lower voltage...

You have to mention when stating that...what the real difference between the two are...the redesigned PCB...the newer revisioned TCCD chips (OCZ should be changing real soon if not by now)...and a few other things...like how each company test the chips...and in teh case like PAT's...they buy by the bulk and test by the bulk...and in some cases...OCZ does the same thing...none of the TCCD's are hand picked after extensive testing with OCZ or other companys either...

I do this when I mention OCZ to people running NF2's and dont plan on going to a A64 soon...

I bring up some of the better memory for that system/budget...and then try to list the pros and cons...including...if known...the testing and if the PCB is better on one or another...not just...yea...(example)...Kingston is the same as muskin...when in fact we all know they are not for different reasons...one main being the redsigned PCB that kingston used in the value ram line...same PCB as the KHX rev. 1...

I also did this when people started putting OCZ 3500 EL in with KHX...yes they both use the BH5 chips...but the EL's run a better designed PCB which helps the BH5's run better and usally with better timings and high FSB...

This is the only issue I have with some of your post man...other then that you are very informative...just have to break it down some...

And I know G. Skill is not the best for all systems...I would personally run OCZ 3500 EL's in NF2's ;)...

Well does it matter exactly which one you get I haven't seen to much done with Gskill stuff I will tell you that it consistency is great and almost always doing better than the Patriot or PQI stuff. However if your looking for the most insane clocks possible I would say to go for the OCZ 3200 rev2 considering that some of the highest overclocks on A64s came from using it.

Honestly, if you're looking for 512x2 and considering g.skill PC4400LE or OCZ PC3200EL platinum rev2 flip a coin or take whichever you can find cheaper. Unless looks are important to you cuz the OCZs look sexy the g.skills look like....well memory. :p

not sure why no one has said anything about the Geil UltraX as thats what i have. As far as ocing the test done at madshrimp's showed that the g.skill and Geil ultraX are the better ocer's reaching 280HTT with only 2.65V. thats my take on all this and i picked the geil.

Yup Anand got excellent results with the Geil UltraX as well. All of these premium TCCD modules are quite similar in performance. One thing odd I've noted about my particular OCZ sticks is higher voltage is harmful to overclocks. Now I only have voltages up to 2.85v available, but anything above the default 2.7v offers inferior results for me. In addition I've found that undervolting the dimms is beneficial. Very strange but it seems 2.5v offers superior results to the default 2.7v. I nominate them for creepiest module award. :)

If you can hang on just a short time Gskill is comming out with a mean PC4800 that blows the sox off all the rest. But if I had to go now it would be gskill 4400 for sure!

You're referring to the LAs, but they're already available, just not in 2x512Mb kits in the states yet. You can get the 2x256Mb kits at newegg.com. No doubt there'll be others using the same Samsung TCCD 440 chips if there aren't already.

TimoneX said:
You're referring to the LAs, but they're already available, just not in 2x512Mb kits in the states yet. You can get the 2x256Mb kits at newegg.com. No doubt there'll be others using the same Samsung TCCD 440 chips if there aren't already.

Yep but I guess I am waiting for the 1gig kits :clap: Gamer you know.

TimoneX said:
Honestly, if you're looking for 512x2 and considering g.skill PC4400LE or OCZ PC3200EL platinum rev2 flip a coin or take whichever you can find cheaper. Unless looks are important to you cuz the OCZs look sexy the g.skills look like....well memory. :p

Thats what I am going to do, I was looking at the G.Skill 4400 LE But well I cant find them in stock : / And you are right those OCZ Plat Rev2 Look Oh So Sexy....Well Thanks for the debate it was great and I heard from both sides :D Now to find out when these damn chips are going to be available.

Well damn I went to order the G.Skills and I can only find them from a strange looking site for $275 but there is the OCZ at new egg right now..ahhhh dunno what todo

Back