• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

3500+ AMD 64 K8n Neo2, Now what Mem?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Another Question is about the heat spreader alot have them the Gskills don't. Does that mean I need to budget for some mem cooling kit?

:beer:

You won't need them if you have good airflow in your case &/or stick a fan on top of the memory.

azianese said:
nobody likes corsair brand anymore?

People are too picky.. Corsair/OCZ/G Skill are all using the same chips. Thats why their benchmarks right now are almost identical.

an extrea 5-6mhz either way, won't make a lick of difference.

Well doesnt matter I cant find the G.Skills any where. Sucks

ok it comes down to the OCZ Plat rev2 pc
3200 and the -

EL PC3700 Platinum (2-3-3-8)
Samsung TCCD 4ns (Revision "F") (Uses Brain Power PCB)

now I found that in that list of chips I found some sites with that ram but that says revision "F" blah blah how do I know if that is the case on these links below? They both end in "K" Anyways so I assume that the 3700 Plat would be that much better then the Plat pc3200 rev 2
right? or am I wrong? :p

http://www.computerhq.com/OCZ_1GB_512MB_x_2_DDR_OCZ4661024ELDCPE_K/memory/partinfo-id-521795.html

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewprodu...017&ATT=Memory+System+Memory&CMP=OTC-d3alt1me

nicknomo said:
People are too picky.. Corsair/OCZ/G Skill are all using the same chips. Thats why their benchmarks right now are almost identical.

an extrea 5-6mhz either way, won't make a lick of difference.

You need to reread my post...all companys might use the sme chips...but a lot of other factors go along with the same chip...

Case in point...all NF2's use the same NF2 setup...but not all NF2's perform the same...

Same with memory...

And once again...I have yet to see any pats, corsair, OCZ do what G. SKill does on default voltage...and I sure dont see OCZ or any other memory doing 275/5-3-3-2.5/1T/1:1 with 2.85v or below...

I especially dont see any other maker hitting DDR720+ with only 2.9v (LA)

As for heatspreaders...if not going to run past 3.0v 24/7...then like posted above...they do more harm then good...and even with heatspreaders you need to have good air flow around the memory...heatspreaders tend to hold heat in...not expell it like a heatsink...

Newegg has the ETA for both LC's and LE's 2/3/2005

Well up until recently,all 2x512 sticks were doing was DDR550 at 2.5-4-4-8. Granted only the G. Skill LE's are rated to do 2.5-3-3-7... but they are binned (as you mentioned).

With other manufacturers, you may get memory capable of this, but it isn't seperated through binning. So you don't know...

nicknomo said:
With other manufacturers, you may get memory capable of this, but it isn't seperated through binning. So you don't know...

Thats my main point ;)...you just dont know with other brands...but you do know what to expect from G. Skill at both ratings...and if G. Skill wont do PC4400 specs or DDR600 specs for the LA's...G. Skill will RMA them...

If you get you something from another company and it wont do PC4400 specs...but will still do PC3200 or PC4000 and they wont do PC4400 specs...Theres not RMA because they still do the rated default speeds...

With the extra's that G. Skill puts into their memory (extensive testing...redesinged PCB...first makers with the 450 TCCD chips and a few other things)...this is why G. Skill is the only one that can offer the gaurantee that the memory will run at PC3200/PC4400 specs for the life of the memory...

This is why some of the most extreme OCers are using G. Skill and why you pay a little more for the G. Skill...but in the long run...it is worth the extra money...

BTW - what just at excailberpc.com...they will be opening back up on or before the 7th...and to be honest...I would wait to get them at excailberpc then newegg...

Case in point...was just looking up a 3000 winnie for someone at newegg...noticed that I bought my retail 3200 winnie from excailberpc for the same pirce newegg is selling the 3000 OEM :-/

Well, actually Corsair and OCZ both have RATED PC4400 sticks.. and will rma them if they do not run at their rated speeds.

The binning that I was talking about was the difference between 2.5-4-4-8 timings and the 2.5-3-3-7 of the LA/LE's.

Both Corsair and OCZ have binned their memory for PC4400, and will definitely do that at default voltage. There is just no guarentee that these will do DDR 640 like they did in anandtech's articles.

But I think its safe to say that these modules are binned for DDR 600 @ 1T at atleast 2.5-4-4-10 (2.85v). It seems to be pretty common to hit these marks with the 1GB sticks.

So now what is you opinions between the OCZ Plat3200 Rev 2 and the OCZ Plat3700 ?

Who cares....

IF you're using a 3500+ you don't need to be so obsessed with such high fsb ram... your system will bottleneck before your system reaches even 300fsb........

Why do so many people care about getting such a high fsb on these forums? I mean unless you're in a competition and you're gonna win something for having the highest fsb what's the point? Higher speed? Doubt that... test your system at the various speeds and see what kind of gains you get as your fsb goes higher.

It doesn't make any sense to me.....i've been overclocking for over 2 years and i've never been so obsessed about spending so much money to be able to get 300fsb or whatever....i'll save my time and spend an extra $90 cdn and get the 3500+, overclock the fsb/htt to somewhere around 220-240 and call it a day. I really really doubt most people even see the difference between 250 fsb and 280fsb...

I may be wrong here... except of course on my opinion... :)

Just go and check memory type sections in the forums and look for whatever has TCCD. If you want to run something with igher volts use bh-5 type.... Then check reviews in various web sites and pick from that.... I found a lot of people give biased opinions here.... Like the guy above that keeps pushing for the G Skill ram because supposedly it s the best (since he is using it).....don't take me wrong, but you need to keep an open mind that maybe not everyone wants to spend so much money and the g skill is more expensive than the ocz plat rev 2 (in canada anyways).

That's it for my opinions for now....not that anyone cares... :)

Forgot: DOn't forget these rams will be 'outdated' once ddr2 comes to amd next year....and then we ALL are gonna go buy new ram all over again... and again.... and again...oh well what else am i gonna do with my money? :rolleyes:

TombKeeper said:
test your system at the various speeds and see what kind of gains you get as your fsb goes higher.

I have and 5-3-4-2.5 is the best up to 285FSB...but like you stated...my CPU is bottlenecking me at 2.78Ghz...but this doesnt limit my FSB, just change the multiplier to 9 and then run 300+ (if your mb will allowe this...some NF3's have issues running past 295+)

And the reason why I push it (G. Skill) is because for 20.00 more then PAT's you get what you pay for...not a poke and hope...

And why do we do it...because its in our blood to run things at its max...and if you have to question that...then I think you are in the wrong forum...

Compair your setup with mine running at default FSB (275) and 5-3-3-2.5 timings...then you will see why we max out the FSB (max stability)

275/5-3-3-2.5/1T/1:1 Benchmarks

I sent two e-mails to G.Skill to see who sold their product in Canada and got no response. Lame service is you ask me. Unlike OCZ who replaced my pc2700 with pc3200 because an inaccurate SPD rating on the pc2700 stick. Now G.Skill should take some lessons from OCZ in customer service... I'm current shopping for TCCD and OCZ is at the top of the list. :)

glock19owner said:
There are some other factors that also must be taken into account when making this statement...

1. 1 out of 10 chips are used for the LE's (some do not even make it to LD standards)
2. G. Skill does a very stressful stability test to make sure all memory that is on all of its models will do both PC3200/PC4400 speeds at the rated models timings...and in the case of the LA's...DDR600 rated...
3. G. Skill uses its own brain PCB setup...so the PCB's are not totally alike
4. G. Skill is the only maker out that gaurantees that all models..(except the LA's) run at PC3200/PC4400 and in the LA's case DDR600 specs for a lifetime...

I am not knocking or will I knock OCZ and its products...but G. Skill does go over and above what most other companys do to make sure they have some of the top memory out right now

That is because G. SKill does not have any retailers in Canada at the moment...and you can easily find this out by going to the website ;)...

Your choice to think its lame...but it took OCZ almost 2yrs before they where able to get retailers in Canada...Before Ryan and Sean was there...tells you how long I had used OCZ products ;)...

But you have to remember...you cant expect a company to just show up and have retailer everywhere in the world...it takes time and redtape to get retailers in other countries...

Now on a side note...Excailberpc.com ships to canada and does sell G. Skill...they will be re-opening on or before Feb. 7th...

If he/we can't get g skill in canada then that would be more expensive....

Supposedly any of the following would work with amd64:

a) OCZ Platinum Rev.2 pc3200 (on sale at ncix for $339 cdn) - 290 @ 2.5-4-3-10 1T @ 2.85v
b) Samsung PC4000
c) KingMax PC4000 - can reach 245 @ 2.5-3-3-10 1T --- $125 cdn each 512mb module at canada computers
d) Crucial Ballistix pc3200 - 278 @ 3-4-3-10 1t @ 2.85v
e) Mushkin Level 2 rev. 2 pc3200 (at ncix for $340 cdn) - 286 @ 2.5-3-3-7 1T
f) PQI Turbo pc3200 - 285 @ 3-4-3-10 1t @ 2.75V
g) Kingston HyperX pc3200 (khx3200ulk2?)

Any of the above would work if you want to run 1:1....otherwise if you don't want to spend that much go for some corsair/kingston value ram....DOn't know pricing for g skill ram and it does look like it's no where in canada - so you'd need to order from states (use air mail that way you may not pay duty on shipment... :) )

What i was saying is if he already bought the 3500+...... he doesn't need to worry so much about getting his fsb to 300 or whatever because he has the 11x multi.... You think there would be such a big diff in speeds (real world apps/games not benchmarking scores) between 300x9 and 11x245 ? And I mean something we would notice (ex 55 fps in a game versus 45 fps or something....not 210 fps versus 200 fps because who cares about fps above 60fps)

TombKeeper said:
You think there would be such a big diff in speeds (real world apps/games not benchmarking scores) between 300x9 and 11x245 ? And I mean something we would notice (ex 55 fps in a game versus 45 fps or something....not 210 fps versus 200 fps because who cares about fps above 60fps)

Actually yes because you are talking a few G's of bandwidth between those two settings...and a few Gigs of bandwidth is going to improve everything including real world apps...especially DVD encoding...

And a few gigs of bandwidth will raise most games past 10FPS...lower 25k's to over 26K just by lowering the timings and keeping the same FSB...and this wasnt even raising the bandwidth more then 600MB...

Also...if I would of known the thread starter was from Canada...does help to list your location correctly...I would of never mentioned G. Skill in the first place since I knew that G. Skill has no Canada retailers and would of mentioned the OCZ PC3200 Plat's then

I'm gonna do some testing on my next system next week to see how much a difference it'll be... Of course i won't be able to test using good tccd ram.... i'll either have KingMax pc4000 or Kingston HyperX 433 khx3500.... ( bh-5? )

If people want g skill or anything else that's not in canada they can just order via the web... I ordered parts before from the states and didn't even pay duty (via airmail) - only because they weren't available in canada.

Back