• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

38 cpu and case temp?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dicecca112

Is your cpu and case temps being exactly the same normal?

Edit: now it says that the cpu is lower than the case temp!?

I think your board is misreading temperatures, do you have the latest bios? Even wiht the best heatsinks(like yours) and a tornado, you will still probably get 5c above case temp at idle. It is possible, if you have a duct though. Anyway, I suggest you lower you case temps, 36c is insane. My room temp is about 25c, and even with a shuttle XPC I keep my case temp about 30. You should have no problem keeping it 1c above room temp, unless your board misreads that too.

My guess is definatly improper readings, the CPU temps is ALMOST always higher then the case temp, even to get them the same is pretty rare

36C is not an insane case temp, it all depends on ambiant temp. My ambiant temp is almost 30C and my case temp is usually 36-40C. I have 3 quiet fans pushing a total of ~75cfm's through the case. (including power supply) Cpu will idle at 46C with a 40C case temp.

I could see your cpu and case temp being about the same, the motherboard sensors are probably not that accurate. This may explain why your cpu temp would appear lower than your case temp. Which is only possible by ducting. Try updating your bios.

I updated the bios to 1/31 from dfi street, it seems that when I run my panaflo in (85cfm) and my generic fan out (60cfm) I get the equal temp. It was running 33, then all of a sudden it did this.

and yet another interesting twist I turn both case fans off, turn the smart fan up all the way, and I get 38case and 42cpu

could it be my winbond hardware monitor, somehow it is reading the wrong sensor, I loaded mbm5 and it gave me like 5 temps, the cpu and case were the same, then there were three others, one reading -39. on 32, and one readed 34. One was the cpu diode I know that. Could one of the others be real case?

Using water cooling, with my radiator sucking in outside air and putting hot air in the case, along with low speed intake and exhaust case fans, i was able to get 2C difference between case and cpu(diode)

needless to say my case temp was quite high(38-40C, 43 after some long term gaming)
while my cpu was peaking at 45C, and idling around 42.

I have some screen shots of my case temp actually being higher than my cpu temp. usually just 1C or so.

after switching the direction of my radiator fans ( so they suck hot air out of the case) my case temps went down to around 32, and my cpu went up to 44-45C idle

If you're worried about it get some more intake (more fans or more rpms) and work on the flow by clearing your cables, and creating some direction with the placement of your intake and exhaust.

Last edited:
I think the reason I am worried is because it was idleing at 33 and then it jumped. I know my cpu temp is fine.

I loaded mbm5 and it gave me like 5 temps, the cpu and case were the same, then there were three others, one reading -39. on 32, and one readed 34.

(sorry, I should have said this earlier)

with those 5 temps, i would toss out the -39 one, assume the highest is the cpu (diode) the next highest would be socket temp, and the third highest would be case.

if perhaps your mobo doesnt allow diode temp reading, then mbm5 might read the socket temp as both the socket and diode temp, hence the equal temps.

if the mobo does allow you to monitor both, then some serious gaming/folding/whatever might have raised the socket temp up to the diode temp, but mbm5 has the socket listed as the case temp.

but, to make a long story even longer, if the stuff is still working, i would chalk it up to being a fluke.

what I figured. After I while I just looked at the cpu temp. but on a good note, my college roommate got so sick of my loud computer he is going to chip in on a water cooling setup.

Back