• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

3866 MHz-Too much is enough.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
If you like that, wait till you see this. :D And I'm loving these temps. I can't say enough good things about the Trident Z parts. I'm getting 4000 MHz out of a couple $45 ea. DDR4 3000 sticks. :clap: Only a short stress test, though. I'll run memtest now and see what's up in the morning, but I'm going to bed a happy camper.
4000 OC XTU stress test.JPG

At this point, I usually go to my native Jamaican accent: "you crazy, man!!" Seriously, that's quite an iverclock, I wonder if there will be much noticable performance improvement on day to day operations, like faster boot..

Speaking of faster boot, I swear I saw a speed increase booting into windows when I upgraded from 3gb 1067 to 6gb 1333. Those were both triple channel and now since I'm only in dual channel, I don't see it booting faster.. maybe if I cracked my 1333 to like 1866+, then things will begin to happen. Might have fire in the tower though..

G'nght, Man

Nite. I'm running memtest for 3866 MHz 18-21-21-41 when I sign off. 4000 Mhz wasn't very stable, but it made mistakes really fast. LOL!

update: Passed memtest overnight with this, at 1.452v. Trying to decide if I should go for tighter timings or loosen up my 4000MHz timings to 19-23-23 or 19-25-25 and see what happens. I'm open to suggestions, as I am currently way beyond where I expected to get with this set/mobo. According to the Gigabyte support list, 3200 MHz is the highest officially supported speed for 2x8 GB sticks on this board, and G.Skill only supports 3600 MHz with 2x8 GB. :clap:

passed memtest.JPG

Last edited:
Questions, questions...

OK, I'm memtest stable with 3866 MHz@18-21-21-41. Actual DDRv is 1.476v, VCCSA is actual 1.212v (set at 1.200v in BIOS) and VCCIO set to 1.200v in BIOS, no actual available.
It won't pass memtest at any higher speed or lower voltage.
Can anyone give me their take on these voltages and whether or not I should be lowering them for 24/7 use? My temps are good (DDR hit 43C during memtest with ambient approx. 28C). I don't want to let the magic smoke out of my RAM, or give it a voltage induced lobotomy. G.Skill rates it at 1.35v, so.... I'm not worried about the CPU with higher RAM voltage, as it will run DDR3 at a lot higher than I have it set.

Next question. I have no LLC set for my CPU, and it's stable. I noticed it drops from 1.356 actual to as low as 1.308v during memtest. Could that be contribuing to the RAM failing memtest at lower VCCIO, VCCSA, or DDRv settings? I would think the VCCSA and VCCIO settings take care of the cache voltage. It pegs the meter at 100% the whole test, so I'm not getting throttling, and CPU temps didn't go over 72C.

I would check 19-19-19 at 1.35-1.40V but probably you are limited by the motherboard and not memory. Also check if 3733 or 3600 at tighter timings won't be better.
RAM will be fine up to even 1.5V but I don't think that anyone was testing that for long months so can't guarantee.
CPU shouldn't affect memory stability but hard to say how it is in real. However for 4000 you may need something like 1.25-1.30V SA/IO.

This thread just reminded me I need to update my own thread assuming we're on the same TridentZ 3000C14. I think my eventual settings were 3866 17-17-17-38 1.35v, IO 1.10v, SA 1.20v, tRFC 380 and a whole bunch of other tweaks. It has proven long term stable including 15 days continuous prime number finding (around 2048k FFT) with no errors, on top of the usual aida/memtest. Couldn't stably tighten the primary timings at 3866, couldn't stabilise 4000.
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php/785278-TridentZ-3000C14-memtest-vs-aida64
Really need to write down all subtimings as I changed practically everything... and I need to do that before doing a bios update anyway.

This thread just reminded me I need to update my own thread assuming we're on the same TridentZ 3000C14. I think my eventual settings were 3866 17-17-17-38 1.35v, IO 1.10v, SA 1.20v, tRFC 380 and a whole bunch of other tweaks. It has proven long term stable including 15 days continuous prime number finding (around 2048k FFT) with no errors, on top of the usual aida/memtest. Couldn't stably tighten the primary timings at 3866, couldn't stabilise 4000.
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php/785278-TridentZ-3000C14-memtest-vs-aida64
Really need to write down all subtimings as I changed practically everything... and I need to do that before doing a bios update anyway.

I think the Asus boards are king for OC memory. I had 3733 at those same timings, but don't remember if it was stable. Is there a free benchmark to test actual bandwidth, to compare lower speeds with tighter timings to the high speeds/loose timings? I just went for highest stable speed (within reason) with my rig being Intel.

I would check 19-19-19 at 1.35-1.40V
I tried 19-21-21 at current voltage and it threw errors in less than a minute.

Alaric, Everest seemed pretty good when I used it a while back. Trial version has all those benchmarks, but expires after some time.

SiSandra also has memory latency, bandwidth, read, writes. A lot of tests there as well. It's free, I still use it every once in a while.

Go ASUS!!

Good to know. This RAM OC is time consuming, for sure. I got sick of reinstalling my OS years ago, so stable is a must for me. I had to do a Startup Repair right after I started this round of tweaking. It seems the boot.ini gets hit a lot with memory errors. Or boot.mgr, can't tell other than the notice "Windows failed to start. Insert your disc..." etc..

SiSoftware Sandra Lite now $50. Yikes.

I have free version of lite (bit older though) let me know if you want. San1743 from guru3d
View attachment 196009
View attachment 196010

Funny fact, I couldn't beat my triple channel 1067 ram using my new dual channel 1333. Had to overclock to hell and back and still could catch up :rofl: synthetic bnchmarks though...

Last edited:
I think the Asus boards are king for OC memory. I had 3733 at those same timings, but don't remember if it was stable. Is there a free benchmark to test actual bandwidth, to compare lower speeds with tighter timings to the high speeds/loose timings? I just went for highest stable speed (within reason) with my rig being Intel.

I tried 19-21-21 at current voltage and it threw errors in less than a minute.

Pretty sure you can use AIDA trial and run each test separately read/write/copy/latency you can also use it to test ram/cache stability on trial version. TPU has an in windows memory tester as well https://www.techpowerup.com/download/techpowerup-memtest64/

I remember when I got my 6700k I tried to OC my GSkill 3200mhz 14-14-14-32 2t 1.35v and ended with 3600mhz 15-15-15-30 1t 1.36v as daily (my Hero VIII doesn’t like anything close to 3866mhz). Feels like it can go much higher with a better/newer mobo ?

I think my Z170 chipset is what is holding me back. I was somewhat surprised that my specific board was on quite a few G.Skill QVLs, and for smaller capacity or single sticks there are some nice numbers available from them. At the time I bought mine DDR4 3000 seemed more than sufficient, then the "3200 to 3600 sweet spot" became a thing, and morefasterbetter kicked in for me. LOL I downloaded the free trial of Aida to see where my best performance will be, I just haven't had the time to get in to it yet. I'm still leery about my current voltages so I'll likely be bringing my speed down to 3600 or less and tighten up the timings as much as possible. I should probably just pick the max voltages I'm comfortable with for a daily driver and see what speeds/timings I can squeeze in under that.

How critical is voltage when it comes to sticks? I have my ddr3 set at 1.5, but it shows 1.7-1.72v everywhere in softwares

DDR3 can take a lot more voltage. The XMP setting for mine is at 1.2v, RAM rated to 1.35v. I'm pumping 1.476v now. The board and CPU can do it (6700k can handle DDR3), but I'm not sure where the RAM ceiling is. It's current temp is a degree or two C over everything else in the case, so it's likely time to dial it back some. Especially considering the cost of replacing it if the Magic Smoke gets out.

How critical is voltage when it comes to sticks? I have my ddr3 set at 1.5, but it shows 1.7-1.72v everywhere in softwares

Taco DDR3 as Alaric stated DDR3 can take a lot more voltage then DDR4 in most cases. I've had a few of my sets well above let's just say 1.7v. As long as you can keep them cool enough. That said if one starts really pushing the voltage like that, there are no guarantees you will not see the magic smoke leaking out of the sticks and or the Cpu Imc.

Back