• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

3866 MHz-Too much is enough.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
My biggest obstacle right now is the need to replace my MIA multi meter. My board has voltage check points for the important stuff, but my meter is at a friend's house.

I learned on an analog meter (big heavy sucker), but I'm spoiled now and prefer my digital one. It's easier to read on the tiny solder points on the mobo. Trying to see if the needle is lined up in the mirror of an analog dial while not twitching and shorting my vcore to my vDIMM is too much like work. LOL

I learned on an analog meter (big heavy sucker), but I'm spoiled now and prefer my digital one. It's easier to read on the tiny solder points on the mobo. Trying to see if the needle is lined up in the mirror of an analog dial while not twitching and shorting my vcore to my vDIMM is too much like work. LOL
Isn't it sad Alaric, not only is it tough to even hold the the MM on the read points because you can barely see them, due to the peepers getting old. While doing so, you can barely see where the analogue gauge is pointing. I used to have perfect vision and in the last year they've gone to @#$% :( !!!!

I developed cataracts around 17-18 years old, and didn't get them fixed until in my 40s, so every day my eyesight is a gift-although in my mid 50s the wrapping paper is getting a little wrinkly. LOL. I've had the same prescription since I got the surgery, but as of late I'm starting to see evidence that I need to get it updated. And the points on the mobo are way too close together! And reading the headers isn't fun, even in a white case.

mobo.JPG

The motherboard has a lot to do with it, I could get 38-3900 on a Hero but on the APEX run well over 4000, 4266 sticks will boot right up. Same on the z370 Strix I have maxes out in the same area as the hero and my 4266 sticks will not boot at rated speed no matter what I do. DDR4 is much more tolerant to voltage than people think. 1.5V 24/7 shouldn't really be a problem just like DDR3. When benching the system hard I'm always 1.8-2.0V for those fast tight settings.

While I don't have Trident Z, I got the Ripjaw V DDR4 3000 set that i specifically got for cheaper to OC to 3200 at the exact same settings because of tips of it using the same IC's.
Maybe I can OC mine a bit more, I'll have to check this guide out as I really have never OC'ed ram much except a couple Mhz at most.

If it's the ram in your sig then you're likely in luck. I think those kits were Samsung so a bit of voltage and tweaking should get you going faster. Should be able to run 3466 at CL 14 with minimal voltage increase

If it's the ram in your sig then you're likely in luck. I think those kits were Samsung so a bit of voltage and tweaking should get you going faster. Should be able to run 3466 at CL 14 with minimal voltage increase

Yup same kit as my sig (I keep it pretty up to date). Hmmm might try the increase then.

Can try 3600 15-15-15 or 16-16-16 1.35-1.40V, most of these kits can make it. Better chips will make 14-14-14.
I have new Patriot LED kit based on Samsung IC but since I got it, I could test it only with Ryzen so I don't really know how high it will go. For sure works great with Ryzen at XMP settings :)

I still haven't run AIDA yet, and with some domestic issues happening I've been a little distracted lately. Also updating graphics card and chipset drivers (and GPU) on an AMD rig today, along with fixing what seems to be a Gigabyte trait of not finding boot drives. Also want to figure out why the 4x4 GB G.Skill Ripjaws X won't run at 1866 MHz (rated) on the same rig. Nothing like changing several things at once to brush up on troubleshooting skills. :clap:

I'll get to my RAM tonight (I hope) and get started on finding my voltage/speed/timings Happy Place. After I go get my VOM back. It never ends, some days.

Dam Al, I'm jelly! You running that 3000 ram @ 3866. My 3200 set is just barely over 3433 with the same timings and 1.365v. I'm gonna have to hunker down and try again ;)

Maybe we need Alaric to run some real world benchmarks to see if stuff really is faster or it's just ourely synthetic. I remember when I switched to 6gb triple 1333 from 3gb triple 1067, my PC started booting faster. Not sure how it can be explained, but bam, it happened.

Dam Al, I'm jelly! You running that 3000 ram @ 3866. My 3200 set is just barely over 3433 with the same timings and 1.365v. I'm gonna have to hunker down and try again ;)

Oops. I forgot to change my sig after getting it stable. My timings are a good bit looser at present. I'll fix that now.

edit: Voltages in sig have been changed to measured voltage at the mobo. Fun tip if your board has similar, hard to get to points to measure voltage, and all black wires from your PSU. The center wires on the CPU plug are ground. You can wedge your black meter probe in one and then just worry about getting the red lead on the tiny solder spot. Now that I have accurate info I can make better decisions regarding voltage, etc..

Last edited:
OK. 3866 MHz@18-21-21-41
Aida 3866.png

3733 MHz@16-16-16-34
Aida 3733.JPG

3600 MHz@14-15-15-34
Aida 3600.JPG

My next question is-what am I looking at here? 3866>3733 reads go down about 2.7% with a 4.5% decrease in speed. 3733>3600 gets about 4.25% drop in reads with a 4.25% drop in speed. 3733 MHz got the lowest latency. So should I take the smaller drop in read speed and go with the lowest latency, or just crank it back up to 3866 MHz and be done with it?

All settings are memtest stable.

Update: Lowered tRFC to 343 and Reads in Aida went up to 49696. This makes the difference in Read speeds 24+%, not 2.7%. I don't know how important that is, but it's huge numerically. LOL Latency up to 42.7 ns

Last edited:
Alaric, I've had memtest pass and yet inside windows I'd get errors. Have you checked with prime or occt? Numbers look great, man!

AIDA64 stability test will show memory stability when you pick memory and cache tests ( only these 2 ). It will load memory in ~95-97% regardless of the memory capacity. It will also stress memory controller and cache. Memtest is not fully stressing memory controller and cache as it tests cell by cell only.
Btw. Alaric, these test results are a bit weird. I mean I would expect 3600 CL14 to perform better as it usually does. Maybe motherboard is setting weird sub timings under auto ... hard to say.

@ Nebulous, I don't have tests of your memory PN, this is the only one RipjawsV at similar specs but I guess that used IC is different: http://www.overclockers.com/forums/...x8GB-)-DDR4-3200-CL16-1-35V-F4-3200C16D-16GVK
If your memory kit has single rank Samsung modules ( can check in soft like Thaiphoon Burner or AIDA64 ) then it will probably go up to 4000. If it's dual rank Samsung or Hynix then I guess that not much above 3466.

Yeah, I tried to bring the tRAS down at 3600 but it wouldn't let me drop below 34 when I was aiming for 28. I'll dig around later tonight. I used the Aida memory and cache bench on all settings above, so they're stable. I just don't understand the results.

All righty, then. I have some new, much improved numbers.
3866MHz@18-18-18-38-343 Aida got the tRAS wrong, as the BIOS, CPU Z and Hardware Info all have it at 38.
Aida 3866.JPG

3733 MHz@15-15-15-30-343
Aida 3733.JPG

3600 MHz@14-14-14-28-343
Aida 3600 tight timings.JPG

So, 3733 MHz splits the Latency somewhat, but exceeds the Reads in MB/s of 3600 and 3866. For overall performance 3733 looks like a winner. That, bearing in mind a few potential spoilers.

A) I don't know the margin for error in Read speeds

B) I don't know the relative importance of the Latency differences, ie; the 3600 may be the actual fastest because of the 37.5 ns Latency. I just don't know.

C) For my meager uses I'm fair certain I won't be able to tell the difference between any of them, and 3600 MHz ,at the lowest sustainable voltage, may be my absolute best option. So, the Idea Store is open for business and we're buying. Feel free to drop off your input/suggestions/criticism in this thread

Back