• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

3866 MHz-Too much is enough.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Overall, I found nothing spectacular or surprising while benching memory with different CPU and cache speeds. CPU difference? Meh. Cache speed makes incremental improvements that are free, so therefore nice to have, but only if your satisfaction comes from looking at numbers without expecting them to really matter. I had read that here at OCF numerous times, and I believed it. Now I know it. And much like dynamometer numbers, you're looking at trends, not fretting at the outliers that are single digit percentage points of difference.
A thought regarding winsat mem. While raising cache speed resulted in small speed increases (up to 4300 MHz, max I tested), the winsat mem numbers were trending down, in spite of Read, Write, Copy and Latency numbers all improving. L1, L2, and L3 cache numbers all improved, as well. I wonder if it's similar to the glitch in my old Phenom X4 rig where I raised clock speed 100 MHz and Windows reported a decrease of 100 MHz. I notice Windows 7 shows my current speed as 4.01 GHz, and it's purring away at 4.6 GHz as I type this. But, as I said before, the overall upward trend at 25.5% is where the real data is.

I'll close with a thought about OCF.
I read through a lot of memory threads-troubleshooting, overclocking, voltage, benches, everything I could find. I had full confidence in the info I gathered from our Big Guns, but actually putting it in to practice and seeing for myself how it all interacts left me knowing a lot more than I expected. You can get OC recipes here for basic improvements if you just want to plug in "enough" to say "I overclocked my rig". But if you do that you're missing out on some of the best value here, which is the hot rodders of electrons here. Guys who toil away in their limited spare time in garages and basements and dens with the window open in January, fine tuning their gear to the nth degree. They Know Things about performance and how to get it. If I could afford it I'd buy everyone here a beer. :cheers:

Update: I decided to play around with the cache speed some more, and got some interesting (to me, anyway) results. I raised cache speed in 100 MHz increments to 4500 Mhz. The results were in line with previous experiments, nothing new in memory performance overall, but there is a noticeable improvement in the "feel" of the rig. Windows, folders, etc. snap open like they're launched from a catapult-with Aero turned on (set for 'Best Appearance'). CPU-Z fairly flies in to action, web pages load faster after browsers open faster. There are obvious increases across the board so far that aren't reflected in any of the benches I've run. The The Aida benches seem to run faster, too. It's the biggest single jump I've seen in the stabdard tasks since I got my Phenom X4. The FX 6350 wasn't much different with the mundane tasks, and the Skylake was a little snappier but nothing to write home about. The cache @4500 MHz is like a fresh OS install before all the updates and service packs tie it's shoelaces together again. Something is obviously changing, but what?

Last edited:
I have always felt cache speed is overlooked by many. You can have a fast CPU and ram but the cache is what ties i all together. For smaller data the cache handles everything. It's like a journey you start off on a plane(CPU), stop in "X" city get on another plane(Cache) to "Y" city then onto another plane(MEM) to your destination. Substitute the plane from "X" to "Y" with a car. The trip is going to take much longer. In the end the system is only as fast as it's slowest part. That's why SSDs/USB3.1 made such a difference.

Good explanation! It seemed to me that ignoring "free" performance was a waste. The overall feel has the smoothness that it has at stock speeds, just a lot faster now. The only drawback is now I have to build another rig and do it again. LOL

I was ready to congratulate myself on a good job and move on, back to OC my CPU. I had set a voltage goal for my RAM OC and gotten decent results, especially for a now two generation old chipset. Then I read something in another thread that lit a fire under me again. Someone mentioned that G. Skill sells DDR4 that runs at 1.5v, with the exact same warranty my DDR4 has at 1.35v, and the DDR4 that specs at 1.2v. I never had any thermal issues with my RAM at higher voltage than I'm running now and I'm not sure where I got the idea that I was flirting with disaster over 1.45v

I think we all know where this is headed, don't we? I was at 3866 MHz at 1.476v measured (set 1.480v in BIOS). I can set it at 1.500v and measure it, but I should come up a bit short of 1.5v actual. I blame OCF for this addiction. "Go ahead, the first few MHz are free. Nah, you won't get hooked if you just OC a ittle. Everybody's doing it". Now here I am, jonesing on a Friday night. Not out with friends, but scrounging around a BIOS looking for a MHz fix because 25% isn't enough any more. I need closer to 30% increase to get that same rush.
Oh well, I gotta go score some MB/s. Pray for me. LOL

Too funny Alaric, truth be told if you can keep the sticks cool you can really lay into them with voltage. If you're looking for something you're going to run 24/7 clearly excessive voltage isn't the greatest idea. That said, I've had my B die Sammy's at much higher voltage then 1.5 V on air and they are still singing along.

During "normal" usage everything in my case stays 28C-32C depending on the time of day (it gets hot here). I figured I was looking at the air flow limits of the case with a reasonable fan curve. Idling, my CPU, GPU, drives, and RAM are all 32C right now. My memory hasn't had any temp changes from the 1.2v XMP to the current 1.500v @3866 MHz. I ran the Aida Cache & Memory Benchmark at those settings and HWMonitor shows the min., max., and current temps all 32C.

On my 6700k/Msi Z170a X-Power Titanium I've had my b die 3200 Cl14 sticks at 3866 12-12-12 benching stable, the sticks were barely warm to the touch with a fair bit more then 1.5 v. Reality is, you know what the risks are, are the sticks going to degrade faster with 1.5+ v vs stock, probably. How long that degradation will take will most likely be longer then the actual usefulness of the sticks. At least that's what I've seen with most of my overclocked components.

Yeah, and 3866 MHz with looser timings isn't really measuring any faster than 3733 MHz with the tighter numbers, at the cost of 1.5v vs. 1.45v. These sticks seem to have hard limits (at least on this mobo) concerning speeds and timings that moar volts up to 1.5v don't affect. I went to 1.5v on my previous 3733 clock and I couldn't tighten one number without failing memtest. I'll go back to my earlier settings and take the peace of mind from the lower voltage. Or find out how tight I can get the timings on 3600 MHz. LOL

Update:
Or find out how tight I can get the timings on 3600 MHz.
Nope. Even at 1.5v 3600 MHz won't go any tighter than 14-15-15-31. I'm better off at 3733 MHz and 15-16-16-31. I dropped my voltage in the BIOS to 1.455v from the 1.460v it was set to before. so, 3733 is my sweet spot and that's the tightest timings she'll run at that speed. All there is left is squeezing the volts. LOL

Last edited:
You can't beat a little direct airflow to save hardware for 24/7 OCed use. Do you have a fan providing direct airflow over the RAM?

No, but so far I don't have a heat problem, either. There's a 200mm intake at the front of the case, a 14mm intake on the floor, a 140mm exhaust top rear, and a 360 rad up top. If you look at the front of my case, here https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811854007 you can see the black outline on the front panel. That's the intake. The white square can be removed, and would probably do a lot of good. I'll get that done next time I clean filters.

DDR4 won't need additional airflow if memory is not covered. Typical temps after OC/overvoltage till about 1.5V are about 50°C while max safe is ~80°C. I don't know if your RAM has thermal sensor but many earlier DDR4 had it.

Now I'm trying to figure out how to install 7900X in Phanteks Shift case ( the smaller one ) so it won't overheat or make a lot of noise. Clearly what Phanteks said in product description is not 100% accurate and in real there is less space so I have a hard time to put there any water cooling without spending additional $200 (which I don't want to do).
Idea was to play with SODIMM DDR4 when I finish this build ... it's already collecting dust for 3 weeks :(

Typical temps after OC/overvoltage till about 1.5V are about 50°C while max safe is ~80°C. I don't know if your RAM has thermal sensor but many earlier DDR4 had it.

My RAM temps aren't a problem at all then. :clap:

RAM temps.JPG

That was the Trial Version of Aida 64 for testing, all OCing was done in the BIOS. That's why it took a week. LOL

Back