• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

3950x coming September 30th (WCCFTech)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I know they said September, but that's leaving it to the last minute. Still, let's see how supplies of it go, and if it might even help the 3900x availability.

At the end of the day, a computer is a tool. People that just need word, excel, and chrome would probably be better off with a much cheaper solution. Intel/AMD doesn't matter for those users, but for people that need the cores but don't want to invest in a HEDT solution this could be a good answer.

pgdeaner, the post regarding typical office programs / use was a joking reference to some recent Intel marketing asserting that the 9900K was more powerful for such applications than an AMD CPU :rofl::facepalm:

So at the same time they still can't produce enough of the 3900X they think they can make a supply of 3950X CPUs? My microcenter has had zero 3900X for weeks, Newegg has them for $984 through some rip-off 3rd party and Amazon still has the $699 3rd party deal. Seems like some cruel joke to me.

pgdeaner, the post regarding typical office programs / use was a joking reference to some recent Intel marketing asserting that the 9900K was more powerful for such applications than an AMD CPU :rofl::facepalm:

I get that. I was hoping to diffuse some of the "My CPU is bigger than yours" discussion and focus on the topic. No such luck.

In this article, they state "DDR4-5100" as the top speed. I understand that this is on a MSI x570 GODLIKE motherboard. Is this speed limited to the TOP x570's boards and CPU's???

Way beyond my OC grade, but I understood the multipliers only allowed up to 5000. I suppose that might be exceeded if you bus OC too.

Also saw earlier today G.Skill modules hit 6000, but that was on Intel platform. How long until we're over 9000? :D

So at the same time they still can't produce enough of the 3900X they think they can make a supply of 3950X CPUs? My microcenter has had zero 3900X for weeks, Newegg has them for $984 through some rip-off 3rd party and Amazon still has the $699 3rd party deal. Seems like some cruel joke to me.

I would guess one of the reasons for the scarce availability of the 3900X is that the 3950X and Threadripper production may be cannibalizing the available chiplets that would meet the spec for the 3900X but that is just my personal speculation.

My biggest wonder is availability as well. I'm wondering if they cannibalized premium 3900x chiplets too for it

I get that. I was hoping to diffuse some of the "My CPU is bigger than yours" discussion and focus on the topic. No such luck.
Actually there was zero discussion like that. Someone made a joke in passing you missed, yet even after it was explained... you said this. Move on..nothing to see here. :)

Actually there was zero discussion like that. Someone made a joke in passing you missed, yet even after it was explained... you said this. Move on..nothing to see here. :)

I have a hard time seeing how the comment was on topic or relevant to the conversation but ok. It was a joke. I think we all understand that you can tell when marketing people are lying. Their lips move.

I'm sorry you are having difficulty rolling with the punches. Don't be so sensitive. Move on. If you want to continue talking about hackles, my PM box is open. :)

At the end of the day, a computer is a tool. People that just need word, excel, and chrome would probably be better off with a much cheaper solution. Intel/AMD doesn't matter for those users, but for people that need the cores but don't want to invest in a HEDT solution this could be a good answer.

"sarcasm". Lol!

Way beyond my OC grade, but I understood the multipliers only allowed up to 5000. I suppose that might be exceeded if you bus OC too.

Also saw earlier today G.Skill modules hit 6000, but that was on Intel platform. How long until we're over 9000? :D

^ Thanks for the reply :)
The other part I'd have to leave to Dolk - DDR5 next ???

I would guess one of the reasons for the scarce availability of the 3900X is that the 3950X and Threadripper production may be cannibalizing the available chiplets that would meet the spec for the 3900X but that is just my personal speculation.

^ Would it not be the R7-3800x/3700x that they can not produce enough of??? https://www.overclockers.com/amd-ryzen-9-3900x-and-ryzen-7-3700x-cpu-review/
From the article - The chip uses 1 CCD (chiplet) which is a 8c/16t and the 3950x would be 2 CCD's (chiplets) with 16c/32t. The 3900x chip uses 2 CCD's which is 12c/24t and the 3600x uses 1 CCD for a 6c/12t CPU.
--I would look at this from the bottom up - The 3600x uses a crippled CCD and if the sales are higher - not enough CCD's to make a 3900x. I would say that AMD is already looking at using more crippled CCD's to make enough CPU's. We know that the Die is designed to hold more chiplets. Theoretically AMD could make almost anyone of their CPU's with 2, 3, or 4 chiplets as demands require. We may yet see this as their demand increases.
I can not speculate on the TR4 chip.

Maybe one for when I have more time. You could work out how much binning AMD has to do to make their current stack, both in terms of operating cores per CCD (6 or 8) and how far they turbo. The 39xx could get away with only one "faster" boosting CCD to meet the speed with fewer cores active. I suspect part of the problem with 3900X availability is having enough CCDs with a core capable of hitting 4.6 GHz. Note they will want to rate it for stability more carefully than a personal overclocker would. Anything hitting 4.7 is probably being saved for the 3950X.

I suspect if they wanted to, they could easily push out 3900-non-X with much lower turbo, but it would complicate their product positioning. Let's say hypothetically they essentially put two 3600's in a 3900-non-X at 3800X pricing. Base and turbo is lower. Would you get 8 faster cores, or 12 slower ones? 3900X remains if you want both.

I was thinking about the 3950X but I'm not sure if there is even point to get 16 cores for mainstream mobos. I guess I will try to get TR3 but its price can be higher than expected. I had 1920X (actually my brother has it now) and I was really satisfied. I can't say the same about 300/400 chipset boards and now I have mixed feelings about the X570. I guess I will just sell at least R5 3600 and 2x X570 mobos once I finish tests and then we will see if I can afford the TR3 or maybe I will be able to get a mobo for review.

I'll ask this as we have several AMD 3xxx owners now :) https://wccftech.com/amd-ryzen-9-3950x-cpu-world-record-overclock-5-4-ghz-cinebench-r15/

In this article, they state "DDR4-5100" as the top speed. I understand that this is on a MSI x570 GODLIKE motherboard. Is this speed limited to the TOP x570's boards and CPU's???

So far I was able to reach 4900+ on X570 but I have no idea if I hit mobo or IMC wall as 4800 was stable for 3h+ and 4900+ was barely booting.
X570 mobos have usually guaranteed max memory clock between 4400 and 4800. From these mobos, some can make max clock barely above their specification. For example on ASRock X570 ITX, max clock in specs is 4533 and I was able to set 4600 but nothing above that.
I've seen that someone made 5200 stable on X570 and it was posted in one of review threads. It was on still unreleased ASUS mobo with selected Micron based RAM.

Last edited:
Back