• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

3950x coming September 30th (WCCFTech)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Overall it seems with the 3950X if you do any type of gaming as well as any type of multi-threaded workloads, the 3950X is pretty much king of the hill. This makes me want to see the reviews for the TR 3970X even more now.

The monkey wrench in this is, what if the i9-10980XE is actually able to easily overclock above 5Ghz as reported, then I'm very curious to see those numbers.

Finally watched the LTT video. Exactly zero surprises in it as far as the CPU is concerned. I'm bored now. Can we has threadripper yet?

i feel ya Mack, im tired of waiting to see some tr reviews! no way id ever need one but i like to see how things stack up, just cuz lol.

I'm waiting for mine. Soon as microcenter gets them I just gotta go pick it up. Got a buddy on the inside lol. Hoping it clocks good im not expecting anything close to my 3900x but all cores 4.4 would be great. But I think I used all my luck on my 3900x.

And I know. I don't need a 3950x but more cores to really handle my RGB. Lol. But in all seriousness it's a total waste but I'll give And my money.

I was thinking about the 3950X but I decided to get the 3900X because of the much lower price and in the end, it will be pretty much the same for what I need. I'd rather save some money on anything else. If I'm right then the next year will be Ryzen 3k refresh. I feel like they release products too often in the last years. I wish it was less but something exceptional that will last longer.

I was thinking about the 3950X but I decided to get the 3900X because of the much lower price and in the end, it will be pretty much the same for what I need. I'd rather save some money on anything else. If I'm right then the next year will be Ryzen 3k refresh. I feel like they release products too often in the last years. I wish it was less but something exceptional that will last longer.

Yeah, I scratched the whole idea of going Zen 2 and picked up a Ryzen 7 2700X for just $130 at Microcenter a few weeks ago. Form past experience with a 1700X, I knew that 8C/16T is beyond my current needs and will suffice for the foreseeable future. And even though Zen 2 is faster, Zen + is more than fast enough.

Newegg sent me an email saying they had the 3950X, clicked on it and ……………………………… SOLD OUT

Another reason why I got the 3900X is that I have it in a small ITX box. After counting expected heat and other things, I just don't think I could install there 3950X without visible throttling. The 3900X is sometimes dropping 0.5 CPU ratio because it goes close to 95°C but that's only in full CPU load +AVX tests so never happens during normal work.
I was thinking to get a new TR but it costs too much to get it as "a toy". I already have 2 additional rigs which are unsellable or I would lose too much money to be worth it. I guess I will wait till next gen as in about half year (maybe a year as there are constant delays in premieres) is expected next Ryzen refresh.

I'm going all in with the 3960X and then perhaps this time next year go w/ the 3990X just because YOLO why the hell not. I love my 8700k but I have been doing a few more things that could really use more cores. I was initially thinking of making the 8700k my gaming system and put it on small form factor motherboard inside my Phanteks Enthoo Luxe 2 (719) case as it can house 2 systems, but after seeing all the benchmarks for the 3970X and 3960X, these monsters can game too. Some youtubers show them even outperforming the 9900k at 1080p on Battlefiled V which is the only game I play right now.

Finally able to snag a 3950X at MSRP off Amazon, 30 days after launch when I accidentally landed on the URL and found it in stock. Instant click. Dropped it into my C7H board to replace my 3900X. Knocked the Vcore down two notches to end up at 1.22V at 68° C. under all-core 4200Mhz BOINC loading. Stable. Don't know if I can knock it down any further. I haven't experimented. Just wanted to test without dropping any RAC for testing. Probably will eventually to see where I need to run for summer temps.

I didn't really expect that much difference swapping the 3950X for the 3900X, but I see the difference in binning leading from better temps and Vcore. Able to increase the cpu loading by 50% and not see any change in cpu temps. The 3950X is loafing along at 60% loading of BOINC and I have 19 of 32 threads working full time and haven't breached 70°C. yet.

Back