• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

3950x coming September 30th (WCCFTech)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Here's the "official" word from AMD on 3950 X and Threadripper which launches with 24 Cores
Hi Everyone,

We are focusing on meeting the strong demand for our 3rd generation AMD Ryzen processors in the market and now plan to launch both the AMD Ryzen 9 3950X and initial members of the 3rd Gen AMD Ryzen Threadripper processor family in volume this November. We are confident that when enthusiasts get their hands on the world’s first 16-core mainstream desktop processor and our next-generation of high-end desktop processors, the wait will be well worth it.

Thank you

AMD Corporate

AMD Ryzen Threadripper_2019.jpg

What a time we live in, when my first thought was "only" 24 cores? :D

Wonder if AND will go for another "jebait" claim. Intel's next HEDT is based on Cascade Lake, which offers up to 28 cores per die on the Xeon side. We don't know if they will necessarily offer that many in HEDT. Anyway, AMD announces 24, Intel trumps with 28, AMD conveniently remembers it has a 32 core model too. Boom.

Think at this point AMD can do pretty much whatever they want product wise. Even if they don't want to encroach on 64 core Epycs, they could still upscale TR to 48 cores if they need/want to. This is on assumption Intel isn't going to use Cascade Lake AP for HEDT where 56 is possible.

I guess that not long after the premiere we will see 32 and 64 cores too. What is more interesting for me is how will be PCI-E lane distribution and memory controller. I just wonder if they use more than 4 memory channels like in Epic or keep 4. If current X399 motherboards will support new chips then 4 channels will be max.

And still only 4 channels for memory, though 8 lanes to the PCH and I/O die. But not backward or forward compatible with X399. Have to move to the new TRX40 platform to use the new Threadripper 3 cpus.

And still only 4 channels for memory, though 8 lanes to the PCH and I/O die. But not backward or forward compatible with X399. Have to move to the new TRX40 platform to use the new Threadripper 3 cpus.

That's a bit annoying as AMD said that will use current sockets at least in one more generation. It looks like AM4 is maybe the same but because of chipset and CPU (with all integrated stuff) changes, it requires to change the motherboard or something won't work as expected. In the case of TR, there is a new chipset and motherboards so all who invested in this platform have no way to upgrade other than to replace the most expensive components. Also, older stuff lost a lot on the value, and also because of AMD price drops so there is no way to get money back to cover at least half of the hardware (considering expected prices) ... not to mention how hard it will be to sell it.

Comment at ~29m35s - "These higher core count CPUs have some games that just really hate them, and don't know what to do with them" :D

Last edited:
35 mins.........................geeeeeeeeeez. lol

Looks like a monster.... but again with the boost not coming close? :(

Reviews are generally up. I only quickly skimmed the Anandtech one, no obvious surprises but I'll have a closer read later. I stopped watching GN a while back since Steve does ramble on at times. The info density per unit time pretty bad.

Out of curiosity, why don't the reviewers here do video as well ?

Last edited:
Resources... or lack there of. :(

Looks like the Tom's article it boosted well. It just varies by sample it seems. If that is true, thats'........for lack of a better term, whack. If the box says x.x GHz, it should reach x.x GHz on a holy ton of them.

Personally I prefer written over video reviews as generally there is a lot of info to digest, and video isn't the best format for that unless you just want a casual high level summary.

The boost thing, is it still a thing? Without digging into exactly how each place tested, it is an "up to" speed that wont be reached by all workloads. We're now spreading the power budget over more cores so it may be ever more challenging to encounter that case.

Personally I prefer written over video reviews as generally there is a lot of info to digest, and video isn't the best format for that unless you just want a casual high level summary.

The boost thing, is it still a thing? Without digging into exactly how each place tested, it is an "up to" speed that wont be reached by all workloads. We're now spreading the power budget over more cores so it may be ever more challenging to encounter that case.
If it's challenging, then perhaps the specification should be lowered? I don't know. I'm from the school of if it says it on the box, it should reach it. I don't like this 'up to' stuff from anyone (AMD GPU Boost clocks, anyone?). The difference between the two results on high-end boards and cooling is too much to me. That is a difference of what, 200 Mhz?

It is a challenging one. I don't like "up to" speeds either, as usually it is used by marketing to make something sound better than it is. Part of the problem as I see it is that there is a window where you can load the CPU up without hitting power, thermal or current limits, where you can get the maximum boost. Without more budget in those areas, adding more cores narrows that window. If we take it the other direction, we end up with Intel's TDP. The minimum clock you get at maximum operating temperature, which is achieved with a cooler working at that TDP. But that's too far the other direction as most of the time you will be somewhere above it. This is essentially another case where we're looking for a complicated description, that marketing wants to simplify to one or two numbers. If you can come up with a good solution to this, you're better than I am, and perhaps most of the industry also.

About the only way I can think of possibly getting something like this is an "average clock" rating running some mixed workloads, but there will always be arguments over the choice of that mix, and it will need to change over time, will depend on the rest of the system specifications... you might as well run a random number generator at that point.

Or why not raise the tdp a little so it can sustain it? It doesn't have to get to 'intel tdp' levels, just go from 105W to 115W or whatever it takes.

I know the performance delta isn't much, but still. If it says x.x on the box, it should reach that on way more samples than not.

I normally watch LTT content, but haven't seen that one yet, and now it's bed time. Maybe tomorrow. BTW they never go deep in this type of review, it's more for entertainment.

Back