• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

3Pin fan connectors and PWM fan usage?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

FranBunnyFFXII

Registered
I'm looking at some noctua fans as part of QoL choice upgrades for my case, particularly the new A series 120mm and 140mm fans, and I noticed that the noctua fans are PWM(4pin), the fan hub in my case, and my fan cables are 3pin.

I have a various mix of fans in my case already, but they're mismatched, it annoys me a bit and I'd like to give Noctua a shot, as their new A series looks interesting. but again the fan connection system in the case is all 3 pin.
Obviously without a PWM singnal you can't control the fanspeed, but the case has a built in fan speed controller anyways.
10 connection fan hub, manual speed switch.

Question: Can you use 4pin PWM fans as if they were 3 pin standard? Will they just run at the max power that's delivered to them or do you need the PWM signal to make them run?

Yes, 3 pin fan controllers usually work by adjusting voltage output via programmed levels via the tach read or just pre programmed levels. just pick this up and it should be fine: http://www.frozencpu.com/products/8...ack_CB-PWM-3F.html?tl=g47c251s634&id=YXqmcifZ

look for cheaper besides frozencpu or do the mod yourself.

PWM is integrated in circuit, power saving with countercurrent rather than power circuit switching or a rheostat,... Yes do that, if you want to understand how it works, here's a good post, lol. Sorry.

http://www.overclock.net/t/989566/pwm-fans-what-does-it-mean Crimsontear's

The modification, remember yellow is 12v, red is 5v, black is ground, and the blue goes to ground. I find a small snowing need works great.
http://img.techpowerup.org/110319/PWM3pin.jpg

Shouldn't have to modify the fans at all, they will only spin as fast as the motor allows depending on the voltage you send it. Just cause it's a PWM fan doesn't mean it will take a 6v supply and spin at 12v speeds. I wouldn't modify the PWM line on the fans, there might of been something to this on older fans, but all the PWM fans I have are; Black wire ground/neg, Yellow (could be red on some fans) wire power/12v, Green wire RPM signal and the Blue wire is the PWM lead. I would think anything other than a PWM signal through that blue wire could possible damage the circuitry of the fan.

-sigh-
Ok so apparently no one understood the question.

Can I plug in a PWM fan into a 3 pin connector and still have it work?(Like just runs, obviously it wont have variable speed)
If I plug in a PWN fan into a 3 pin fan connect do, does it still go/spin?

Yes it will work just fine, just at max speed. I just plugged one in to see if Mobo speed adjustments would still work, they don't for me YMMV.

Cool. The fan hub in my case has speed control, and the USB to 3Pin fan cables don't provide a large amount of power either.
Thank you for the test Baylock.

Now anyone have any idea when Noctua is releasing those new 120mm and 140mm A-series fans?
I have modding ideas.

Noctua has already released all of their fans. There are some unreleased prototypes, but the current ones are very good. I reviewed some here and on Vortez. Those are old reviews now, but you will get the idea.

Noctua has already released all of their fans. There are some unreleased prototypes, but the current ones are very good. I reviewed some here and on Vortez. Those are old reviews now, but you will get the idea.

No they have not released their new Aseries fans
Here: http://www.noctua.at/pdf/noctua_computex_2015_press_kit.pdf

• Next generation 120mm,140mm & 200mm A-series fans
Next generation 120mm A-series fan
• Succeeding the award-winning NF-P12 (positioned between NFS12A
and NF-F12)
• Integrating Noctua’s latest technologies in order to provide unprecedented
efficiency in a broad range of applications
• Fine-tuned pressure/airflow (P/Q) curve for mid to high impedance
applications such as CPU heatsinks or water cooling radiators
• Ultra-tight 0.5mm tip clearance helps the fan to work more efficiently
against back pressure such as on heatsinks or radiators