• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

3pin fan question. (newb to fan control)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

atm743

hey guys, I'm a newb when it comes to fan control. i just bought my self a new case (corsair Air 540) the case fans that come with it are all 3pin. (my cpu fan i use is also 3pin) i just came from a case that had a low/med/high switch attached to the fan and ran off molex (antec 900v2 case). i've never screwed with 3 pin or PWM fans before so i have no idea what I'm doing lol. my motherboard (info in sig) has 2 PWM (4pin) ports. 1 for cpu one for case fan. other 2 are 3 pin.

the question i have is is there a way i can control the fan speed of the fans that are running off the 4pin PWM ports (even though they are 3pin fans?) the asus motherboard as a chip on it which in use with their fan xpert software, i can control the fans within the OS. i tried it and the 2 fans running off the 3 pin ports on the motherboard work and i can change the fan speeds for them. but in the program i don't get an option for controlling the one PWM port. I get an option to control the CPU PWM port, but does not seem to want to work and my cpu fan speed stays locked at its max speed :(

what's a good 5.25" bay fan controller (does not need to be fancy and have touch controls, nobs are fine) and do these fan controls work with 3pin fans or only PWM fans? or would i need to get Voltage regulator adapters (3 pin to molex adapter)

thanks and hope you can help me out

I use this and it works great as a single bay controller:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811992005

I have the dual bay fancy $50 sentry LX version too, and it's a piece of total crap.

You could also just switch the wires on your 3-pin to molex adapters to change the fans from 12v to 7v or 5v.

i don't have any 3pin to molex adapters :( and as for that controller, do they control the speeds of fans that are 3pin? or just 4pin PWM? or both.

im kinda lost at PWM is. i know it is ground/12+/sense/control but i guess I'm just confused on how it works. I'm going to bed lol its 5 am I'm about to break something. ill **** around with AI Suit for asus tomorrow and see what i can do.

pissed cause the fans that came with the corsair air 540 i got BLOW. one is loud and sounds like the baring is shot and when you lightly hover your finger over the blades while it runs you can tell the fan (and or blades) are not even close to being balanced. errrr i wanted to just buy a case and be done with it. now I'm probably going to go dump 50+ bucks on new fans and a fan controller (i hate being OCD and picky)

also. the 2 front fans this case came with are air flow fans. which makes no sense cause there is a mess and a fan filter right in front of them..... they should have came with static pressure fans...

Back