• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

4-5 yrs since last build, please critique

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
U really don't need 8gigs of ram. Most games don't even use 4

If u change ur mind here is some great 4gigs of ram
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...0231451&cm_re=G._Skill-_-20-231-451-_-Product

I wouldn't even consider having a system with less than 8gbs of ram, Yes your right most games do not use 4gb, however a lot of people like to have their web browser open, ventrillo or teamspeak, maybe a game stats monitor, custom mouse button programming app, daemon tools, antivirus software, and itunes, and like to ALT TAB back and forth during game intervals, not to mention whatever the operating system is using as well. Better to have the extra memory.

Ok bro. The 4gigs that I linked will DESTROY the 8gigs

Well your comparing speed to capacity, destroy it in what manner? You stated earlier, which reinforced what he originally said which was "he didn't want to do any serious overclocking".

Yes that memory is great memory, I didn't say that it wasn't. I was disagreeing with the capacity.

If in a theoretical or real life scenario was using 90-100% of his memory, it wouldn't matter how fast it was, in the end the computer is in need of more memory, not faster, that's all I was saying.

Not everyone's computing habits are identical. I know that I couldn't get by without at least 12gb, and there are a lot of others that go by the same standards. However I use memory intensive apps, aaaand I like to game, I don't need 24gbs to game, but my recommendation is if you plan to do anything else other than gaming, then go with at least 8gb.

to each his own...

Very well thought out and said. Me personally I would just like the tight timings and super fast frequency over volume or amount of physical ram. I guess like u said we r all different in our needs.

Very well thought out and said. Me personally I would just like the tight timings and super fast frequency over volume or amount of physical ram. I guess like u said we r all different in our needs.

Get both. 2x4GB 2000Mhz Cas 7. Good times. You could beat up the memory controller and tie one hand behind it's back on SB and it'd still do it.

I appreciate the feedback guys.

When I run a game i typically dont have much else going on except for vent, explorer. So i run pretty lean and i probably wont need the extra ram. I'll give the noctua a shot though because i do like to tinker, especially if its as simple as an easy bake oven, all the better.

Like i said ive been out of the game a bit and its good to get input about who's still bringing quality to the market and who to avoid, what works/what doesnt, etc

Now if newegg will get that MB in stock that'd be swell :)

Back