• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

4 pin rgb to 3 pin rgb

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

T56impala

Registered
Not sure if this is the place to ask this, but here it goes. I also asked this in my loop build thread, but I’m looking for a larger audience for an answer.

My MB only has 4 pin rgb. My CPU water block, EK velocity, has a 3 pin input. How do I adapt this to work? Keep in mind, I’ve already spent WAY too much on this build! I’m knocking on $1k in just the water cooling! Besides not using the rgb, is there a cheap, easy fix for this?

It all depends on how the LEDs are controlled, which would seem to me that since they have a different number of pins, they would be incompatible because of different methods on addressing the LEDs.

I MB does have built in rgb controlled by the bios. I am also running a lot of Corsair products controlled by Icue.

I was hoping someone figured a workaround and I didn’t want to reinvent the wheel if they had.

I looked up the EVO RGB block, now maybe I found the wrong one but in the description, it said "classic 4 pin 12v+RGB"

That’s what it says, but mine doesn’t have that. It’s only 3 wire. Before it’s suggested, I’ve already installed it on the CPU so I can’t return it.

They have two models, the sTR4 RGB which uses 4 pin and the sTR4 D-RGB which uses 3 pin. I replied to your other thread, not sure if you can contact EK and how difficult it would be to change out the RGB portion of the block and if they would send that to you by itself.

This http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?p=727065 seems to indicate that you can make it work with the corsair commander if you're willing to splice some wires.

Back