• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

400+ P4's At Our Disposal!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
jcw122 said:
Thanks nikhsub, I wasn't asking for grammatical corrections, but Ill definately use your corrections since I'm not excellent at grammar (writing wise). Thanks.
I know you weren't but I would hate to see something submitted and have grammatical errors, especially to a school head. It just wouldn't look good.

dz_jad said:
Sounds good. Don't forget to mention that when the computer runs the calculations, that it uses the spare proccessor cycles and that normal functions are un-affected. If she doesnt have to ask that question, then she won't be pondering whether or not to start the project based on that info.
Good job!

Good idea, I nearly forgot about that. Thanks.

nikhsub1 said:
I know you weren't but I would hate to see something submitted and have grammatical errors, especially to a school head. It just wouldn't look good.

Thx again :D

Yeah totally don't start a new team what I would do is make a username for team 32 like Saint XXXX's High School (I think you mentioned it was catholic). Basically just have the school's name be a user under the team and have all the PC's fold under it that would also be able to show them that they are accomplishing them, heh especially if you show them their stats page from EOC with all the pretty graphs and charts ;)

TalRW said:
Yeah totally don't start a new team what I would do is make a username for team 32 like Saint XXXX's High School (I think you mentioned it was catholic). Basically just have the school's name be a user under the team and have all the PC's fold under it that would also be able to show them that they are accomplishing them, heh especially if you show them their stats page from EOC with all the pretty graphs and charts ;)

No one can resist the pretty EOC charts and graphs!! Their just too fun!

Yeah that's probably what I'll be doing.

It will be under Bishop Shanahan High School.

jcw122 said:
No one can resist the pretty EOC charts and graphs!! Their just too fun!

Yeah that's probably what I'll be doing.

It will be under Bishop Shanahan High School.

Oh you know what would be good, show them some EOC graphs as well as the essays papers (http://folding.stanford.edu/papers.html) to show that actual results are being produced and published so they get the impression that their contributions are actually going towards something you know. Because people are much more likely to contribute to something if they know it produces results.

Any last thoughts/words? I'm STILL trying to get an appointment, she's so hard to get a hold of!

Well the Essay Paper will definately be going into the presentation, I decided their very important to showing that F@H is actual a project that is making progress.

jcw122 said:
Any last thoughts/words? I'm STILL trying to get an appointment, she's so hard to get a hold of!

Well the Essay Paper will definately be going into the presentation, I decided their very important to showing that F@H is actual a project that is making progress.

right-o .... good luck

UPDATE:

I finally got ahold of the Princple. I gave her a small explanation of F@H and she said she would like something she could read about the program, so I'm going to throw the presentation into essay form. She also said she would have to take it to the computer department (SYS ADMIN!)...which I'm scared of cause I know the guy isn't all that friendly, and he's lazy. We'll see what happens.

Lazy sys admin? :shrug: naaah, never met one of those. :rolleyes:

Good luck with your quest jcw! :thup: Hope it works out for you... and the team. :)

We are all behind you! Oh, and if that lazy IT guy get's in your way, let me know. I have some Russian Mafia connections, along with a link to MS-13. You just give the word.

veryhumid said:
good luck! I've got my fingers crossed for this!
Thanks a bunch veryhumid!
Merlin7777 said:
We are all behind you! Oh, and if that lazy IT guy get's in your way, let me know. I have some Russian Mafia connections, along with a link to MS-13. You just give the word.
Hahaha, thanks but no thanks Merlin ;)

harlam357 said:
Lazy sys admin? :shrug: naaah, never met one of those. :rolleyes:

Good luck with your quest jcw! :thup: Hope it works out for you... and the team. :)

Yeah the firewall has been down for about 2 weeks, and they haven't gotten it fixed yet, with that they turn off the internet connections (safety obviously)...they've even had to bring in someone from outside to get it fixed. I dunno what's going on but alot of word about it gets down to me from students of his.

if it turns out the lazy admin is the hold up, just let the principal know that. Say the only effort is in the initilization of the clients....its well worth the effort. If the admin makes some claims, ask to see what they are, and give an explanation on it.
It might be helpful to let her know that you fold on your personal computers also; its not a risk thing that you wouldnt do with your personal stuff.

dz_jad said:
if it turns out the lazy admin is the hold up, just let the principal know that. Say the only effort is in the initilization of the clients....its well worth the effort. If the admin makes some claims, ask to see what they are, and give an explanation on it.
It might be helpful to let her know that you fold on your personal computers also; its not a risk thing that you wouldnt do with your personal stuff.

OK will keep in mind. Thanks jad, that will be useful stuff, especially the point on personal use.

Not to bust on Team 32 or anything, but if I was the head of a school, I would be doing this purely for the recognition of helping, and as such, I would want to have my own "team". Especially is F@H makes you create a separate user for each computer. I don't know exactly how F@H works, but I know with BOINC you can have several computers under one name, so it's not such a big deal since you could make one school account and have all the computers on it. Still, another reason to have their own team would be to allow students to join it also. Sure students can join team 32, but it's easier to keep stats for bragging rights if everyone from the school is in 1 team.

Another idea is you could turn it in to a competition between schools in your area, too. So then the schools can brag about helping out with cancer more than other schools, and so on.

splat said:
Not to bust on Team 32 or anything, but if I was the head of a school, I would be doing this purely for the recognition of helping, and as such, I would want to have my own "team". Especially is F@H makes you create a separate user for each computer. I don't know exactly how F@H works, but I know with BOINC you can have several computers under one name, so it's not such a big deal since you could make one school account and have all the computers on it. Still, another reason to have their own team would be to allow students to join it also. Sure students can join team 32, but it's easier to keep stats for bragging rights if everyone from the school is in 1 team.

Another idea is you could turn it in to a competition between schools in your area, too. So then the schools can brag about helping out with cancer more than other schools, and so on.

Well, your a bit mistaken. As with BIONIC, you can have several computers run under one name in a team.

BUT the point about other students joining is infact a good point, since this may eventually turn into something with students.

Thanks for the thoughts, I'll keep that in mind. For now I'm just trying to get this accepted by my school.

I got my high school to fold for my team a few years ago (graduated in '05). The way I did it was to explain the idea to the science dept and have them present the idea to the principle. I liked this idea because i felt that the science dept has a little more pull than a student. Once I had the principle hooked on the idea i Talked to the sysadmin and, to my suprise, really liked the idea. Turns out he used to run seti but lost intrest in it. I became good friends with him and he gave the the admin password and gave me permission to install it on all the systems in the school. :)

Too bad I no longer go there, with the loss of TT 99% of the school systems arnt folding anymore and most of that other 1% have been reinstalled over the summer break... was nice while it lasted....

I made a powerpoint about it, your more than welcome to use it, change things, do whatever u want with it, if u think it could help some.... www.fah-database.com/files/[email protected]

Good luck!

enhanced said:
I got my high school to fold for my team a few years ago (graduated in '05). The way I did it was to explain the idea to the science dept and have them present the idea to the principle. I liked this idea because i felt that the science dept has a little more pull than a student. Once I had the principle hooked on the idea i Talked to the sysadmin and, to my suprise, really liked the idea. Turns out he used to run seti but lost intrest in it. I became good friends with him and he gave the the admin password and gave me permission to install it on all the systems in the school. :)

Too bad I no longer go there, with the loss of TT 99% of the school systems arnt folding anymore and most of that other 1% have been reinstalled over the summer break... was nice while it lasted....

I made a powerpoint about it, your more than welcome to use it, change things, do whatever u want with it, if u think it could help some.... www.fah-database.com/files/[email protected]

Good luck!

Neat idea, it's about late for the science department right now, but cool experience.

Thanks for the Powerpoint also, I'll look at that. Much appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin7777
Hahaha, thanks but no thanks Merlin ;)

Right-o! Good luck my man! Keep in mind though, my offer will continue to stand. ;)

Last edited:
here's an idea that spins off of a couple of the last posts:
talk to the science department in your school, or just anyone for that matter. Make a competetion! Students sign up, donate their spare CPU cycles, and they have teams, the teams compete and win....a certificate! or something like that :p I think it'd be pretty good with a little more thought.

Back