• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

4400 X2 Toledo "89" watts. How is it?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Anytime Merc14, Glad was help.
Harlem and Ben, doing great. About time huh:)
Hey guys, BTW, do you know this chip cant be found anywhere (except zipzoomfly for $251). I think AMD has stopped making it. It has dropped off the roadmap and processors price list also shows missing. It came out 2 months ago and now EOL. Consider yourself elite and hug the chip dearly. We have one of a kind.

Merc14 said:
1.46v Vcore is looking good. Congrats mate.

Thanks Merc! :beer: It's actually a little more vcore than that. ~1.48v (bios), MBM tends to skew its readings a bit on the DFI mobos. Actually showing up on the low side. Like I said, before... 2.8GHz doesn't seem to be in reach. Maybe @ 1.6v+ but I'm not willing to torture this chip in such a way. This is a good stable point with good thermals (38C under load). PWM temps are in the mid 40s and chipset hasn't seen 40C yet (have an Evercool copper VGA sink on the nF4 chipset).

ochungry said:
Harlem and Ben, doing great. About time huh
Hey guys, BTW, do you know this chip cant be found anywhere (except zipzoomfly for $251). I think AMD has stopped making it. It has dropped off the roadmap and processors price list also shows missing. It came out 2 months ago and now EOL. Consider yourself elite and hug the chip dearly. We have one of a kind.

Well... considering this is my second 4400 ADV. Yes, bout time. However, I've been slowly running this second chip up from stock whilst Folding over the last couple weeks. But it is good to have a final verified stable clock with my PDPs @ 300MHz. :D

You know what I think... AMD took some of their old parts laying around and found that they could considerably lower the TDP and released some batches as ADVs. Look at the production weeks we got. 0609, 0610, 0612, 0613. That puts the assembly time right around late March, early April... and we're just now getting our hands on 'em. :confused: To put that in perspective... I've got an 0607 and an 0609 single core Opteron that I've had for several months now, like back in the April/May time frame. Why did these take so long to emerge?

Running Orthos blend right now at 246FSB. It's taking 1.54Vcore to get there and stay stable though. Ran 2750 last night but lot's of voltage. We'll see if it holds at 2706 and I'll wait for my PC4000 RAM to get back before pushing any higher. Looks like I'm topped out though for now. 23% overclock isn't too bad but that 2.8 would've been sweet.

Last edited:
Updated the stepping/OC in the OP for Merc14.
Still waiting for redrummy, Harlem, shell, and anyone else who's interested to post a screenshot of his/her overcloked chip.
thanks

@OC- my screenie is here... also will be adding to the stepping list thread tonight along with Merc's updates. :)

http://www.ocforums.com/showpost.php?p=4723936&postcount=539

Still tweaking a little... have backed off the ram timings to 2.5-4-4-8 in an effort to stabilize F@H big WUs. If I've said it once I'll say it 20x more times. F@H big WUs are more stressful on memory than Prime.

...so for all you kiddies out there who aren't Folding yet. Why not?

Well I'm peaked with this chip. It won't go any higher and run Orthos stable. stable. So, 2706MHZ at 1.54Vcore 44c max temps (new fans on the radiator) after 14 hours. Not bad but not at the level some other guys got. The temps leave a lot of headroom but these X2's just seem to hit a wall and no matter how much voltage you apply they won't go any higher.

Last edited:
Merc14 said:
Well I'm peaked with this chip. It won't go any higher and run Orthos stable. stable. So, 270.6MHZ at 1.54Vcore 44c max temps (new fans on the radiator) after 14 hours. Not bad but not at the level some other guys got. The temps leave a lot of headroom but these X2's just seem to hit a wall and no matter how much voltage you apply they won't go any higher.
I cant remember where I read the Asus board you have does not go higher than 270 fsb. Have you tried 11x255 or 11x260 ? Are you using 10x multiplier?
Mine does better using stock multiplier. Might try 2T for memory command rate. A lot of times some memory kits dont do well even if rated to run @ 270mhz. My hynix does great up to 280mhz w/ A64 3000 but w/ this dual core, fails around 260mhz. Its a DDR550 kit. Even the TCCd's will act up and have to find the right timings (thru. A64info) and vdimm voltage. My dual core does not like high vdimm (3.v or more) I had to drop the vdimm voltage to 2.90v and stay withing 270-280mhz range. Of course i dont need to run the memory speed too high since I am using 11x multi.
try a higher fsb that is not prime stable and see if spi 32 passes. If not then the memory is the cause of your OC wall.

My motherboard doesn't seem to like high vdimm :p Mine is *almost* prime stable at 2.9ghz w/ 1.47v, but I will not risk any further increases in vcore. Even with this Thermalright heatsink I'm fighting to keep the temps below 50c. I am considering removing the heatspreader. I have a 144 to use as a trial run.

benbaked said:
My motherboard doesn't seem to like high vdimm :p Mine is *almost* prime stable at 2.9ghz w/ 1.47v, but I will not risk any further increases in vcore. Even with this Thermalright heatsink I'm fighting to keep the temps below 50c. I am considering removing the heatspreader. I have a 144 to use as a trial run.
I am thinking on removing the IHS too but afraid. let us know how easy/ hard was it for you :)

OC
My screen image is above a couple of posts. Anyways here are my numbers
FSB: 246 with CPU at 11x Multi = 2706MHZ
RAM = 2.7v 3448 1T, 1:1 Divider. Upping the Vdimm does nothing. The RAM is running just below rated speed right now so it isn't being stressed.
HT 4x = 984MHZ

Tried 250FSB at 1.59 Vcore and Orthos was failing at 38minutes. Of course I tried higher Vdimm and lower divider etc. but no go. If I went over 1.6v Vcore it would probably hold and temps are fine, I'm at 45c after 1.5 hours of ORTHS blend. She just seems to be at that wall. It will post at 2.8GHZ 1.62v but very unstable.

I think I have reached the top with this particular chip. At 2.7GHZ it runs like a champ though so I am not unhappy. $230 for a chip faster than an FX60 is a nice deal. Just so much more headroom temp wise that it is ashamed this chip can't go higher. 45c at full load is outstanding (have two new fans from when the post above was made) but the core is stuck.

Last edited:
ochungry said:
I cant remember where I read the Asus board you have does not go higher than 270 fsb. Have you tried 11x255 or 11x260 ? Are you using 10x multiplier?
I think the early A8N-SLI's had some issues like that but most A8N32-SLI's do fine to 300+. My FSB hit a wall at just over 310 ...

Yes the A8N SLI Deluxes did not like sttings above 240 FSB. You had to run the RAM at 2T around 240 and then at 250 it could get squirrely. That's why I got the 32 board.

I haven't posted in this thread in a while, but you lunatics have been hammering away at this chip for weeks now. :) I work like my main man Ron Popeil - "Set it and Forget It." I overclocked for a week, reached ~2930 or so, then moved down to 2800 for daily use. Things have been running smoothly, and as the temperature starts to dip here, I'm seeing idle temps in the 25-30C range.

I removed the IHS very soon after getting the chip, with great results. Just be sure that your block/heatsink can rest on the core and not on the raised portion of the socket. I poked around for a picture, but realized that I didn't take a photo before I mounted the block. The mount can't be excellent, because one core exhibits much higher load temps than the other; I'll be sure to take more pics once I do a remount.

Ryn said:
Hey guys, what would be the highest safest vcore for this proc? I'm currently at 1.52 right now and my full load (2xF@H) is at 50C.

You are pretty much at the limit you can push using your air cooling. Once you push any more volts your temps will start climbing well above 50C with the dual core. I prefer to stay at or under under 50C personally. My 146 I had no qualms about running 1.55V with my Ninja because it was a single core and temps stayed under 40C load, but my 165 hits about 55C with 1.55V.

Ryn said:
Hey guys, what would be the highest safest vcore for this proc? I'm currently at 1.52 right now and my full load (2xF@H) is at 50C.

No above stock vcore is "safe". The higher you push the vcore the more stress is yielded on the transistors in the cpu thus making it more prone to failure (MTBF is greatly reduced). With that said, the suggestions people have shared thus far are right on point IMO. 1.65v being the absolute max. I'd stay at or below 1.6v if and only if temps are good. If temps are bad (50C+) then stay at or below 1.55v. Abide by these guidelines if you want a happy, long living chip. However, if you don't care about how long it lives... then volt the carp out of it and show us some records! :D (last statement not recommended)

Back