• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

4770K stuck at 800Mhz ?!?!?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Same problem with MSI Z87 GD65 GAMING

Hi guys!
Great thread with a sollution ^^
How ever i got the exact same problem, just that I have a different MB: "MSI Z87 GD65 GAMING" but I can't find the same solution. :shrug:
http://www.msi.com/product/mb/Z87-GD65-GAMING.html

Does anyone know how to disable the "Idle" function on this MSI MB?

Any feedback is appreciated. :)

Tnx!

Computer specs:
Motherboard: MSI Z87-GD65 Gaming, Socket-1150
Processor: Intel Core i7-4770K Processor - Haswell
Cooler: Intel TS13X Liquid Cooling Solution
RAM: 2 x Kingston DDR3 HyperX Beast 16GB
GPU: 2 x ASUS GeForce GTX 770 2GB PhysX CUDA
HD: Kingston SSDNow V300 240GB 2.5" OEM

Last edited:
Hi guys!
Great thread with a sullution ^^
How ever i got the exact same problem, just that I have a different MB: "MSI Z87 GD65 GAMING" but I can't find the same solution. :shrug:
http://www.msi.com/product/mb/Z87-GD65-GAMING.html

Does anyone know how to disable the "Idle" function on this MSI MB?

Any feedback is appreciated. :)

Tnx!

Tech Power Up Linky

I remember reading the whole article when they wrote the review. Dayum sexy board!

I believe that this screenshot is what you are after?

dudleycpa: Tnx for quick reply! :)
I entered all the data from the "screenshot" but still no luck :S

I checked some more in BIOS and it shows 800Mzh at "Current Ring Frequency". This apperantly controls my Mzh and has to be higher.
I can not find where I change this?!

I will wait for a few more days to see if anyone else knows a solution.
Last solutions is ofcourse to contact MSI directly. :eek:

Aditional info about the MB is in this youtube vid:

Computer specs:
RAM: 2 x Kingston DDR3 HyperX Beast 16GB

Last edited:
What an unusual issue, good to see it sorted out, only a case of crazy BIOS settings.

Hi again...
Sigh.... Im sorry to making this thread open, but I can not figure out my problem with the CPU speed.

Here is a snap-shot of the my BIOS wich show "Current Ring Frequency - 800 MHz"

As you can see it's gray and therefore not adjustable.
Do anyone know how I can change any value to adjust it to correct MHz?

If not I have to call/email my vendor or MSI to get this fixed.

Damn! I'm so frustrated now!!! :mad: hehe :shrug:

Well, again... Any imput is appreciated! :)

Tnx again!

Computer specs:
RAM: 2 x Kingston DDR3 HyperX Beast 16GB - 2400MHz

Attachments

• Current Ring Frequency - 800 MHz.jpg
    Current Ring Frequency - 800 MHz.jpg
    178.7 KB · Views: 878
I literally just joined the forum to say a big THANKYOU to you guys for this thread as you sorted my exact same problem with my new build.
I shall now use this forum as frequently as possible! Many Thanks!

Rooster790 maybe this will help you with your Problem, i found this on the Net today!! It say's there is a switch in the Bios which is set by the Factory. This OC TRIGGER SWITCH or (TGR) is set at no 2 which Switches off all the Bios Commands and runs your CPU @ 800MHZ! To change this all you need to do is set it to NO 1 Position then the Bios will work as normal and you can Overclock your set up, Best Regards AJ. ;) :thup:

1, So after many hours or playing around and tweaking i finally decided to read the manual for my motherboard and found there is an OC Trigger Switch (TGR) this was set to 2 from factory when it needed to be set to 1.

In position 2 the processor ignores all bios settings and runs using the lowest core multiplier possible which in the case of the Haswell 4770k is 8 which resulted in my core speed of 800mhz.

In position 1 the processor functions according to the settings in the BIOS.

TL:DR: Anyone who buys a Gigabyte GA-Z87X-OC Motherboard make sure you check the TGR switch is set to setting 1. Mine was set to setting 2 from factory. :attn: :salute:

Absolutely the best advice I've seen in a long time! A 'Thanks' to you!:drool:

I had the same issue as Windows was only taking in the min speed of 800mhz, This is what seemed to have solved it for me. If you are over clocking with an OS based UI(ie Intel extreme tuning utility) with preset over clocks. Go back to your bios and enable the XMP profile it sometimes goes back to default.

I had RMA'd my motherboard a few months ago to troubleshoot a different issue. Apparently when it came back it had the TGR switch in the "safe" position, essentially locking the CPU to 800 MHz. No wonder my Diablo III frame rates were always less than 30 fps on lowest settings. Now it's 180+ on max settings. This has been maddening trying to find the root cause, so thank you very much for this post!

Hey I would be extraordinarily appreciative if someone could give me some advice on how I fix the same problem on an MSI Z 97 power max motherboard.

I have built probably over 30 computers and never encountered a problem like this.

No matter what I do my I5 4690k is stuck running at .8 ghz. And for the record the CPU is actually running that slow. I verified it with multiple test programs and the computer is slow as ****.

Now the weird part is the BIOS is adjusted perfectly for the CPU to run at 4 GHz. The voltage, base clock, multiplier and a every setting says that my CPU should be at 4 GHz.

And yet the CPU frequency at the top of the BIOS says .8 GHz. It's the latest BIOS version and it recognizes that the 4690 K has a base clock of 3.5 GHz.

So I thought damn I just got a bad processor so I went out and bought a new one and Bam still can't get it to go above .8 GHz.

I have been through that BIOS through and through looking for every little setting that could possibly explain this and I come up with nothing. I even used the automatic overclocking feature and it put all the settings to make my processor run at 4 GHz and yet the frequency remains at .8 GHz every time.

Thank you very very much for any help.

Hey I would be extraordinarily appreciative if someone could give me some advice on how I fix the same problem on an MSI Z 97 power max motherboard.

I have built probably over 30 computers and never encountered a problem like this.

No matter what I do my I5 4690k is stuck running at .8 ghz. And for the record the CPU is actually running that slow. I verified it with multiple test programs and the computer is slow as ****.

Now the weird part is the BIOS is adjusted perfectly for the CPU to run at 4 GHz. The voltage, base clock, multiplier and a every setting says that my CPU should be at 4 GHz.

And yet the CPU frequency at the top of the BIOS says .8 GHz. It's the latest BIOS version and it recognizes that the 4690 K has a base clock of 3.5 GHz.

So I thought damn I just got a bad processor so I went out and bought a new one and Bam still can't get it to go above .8 GHz.

I have been through that BIOS through and through looking for every little setting that could possibly explain this and I come up with nothing. I even used the automatic overclocking feature and it put all the settings to make my processor run at 4 GHz and yet the frequency remains at .8 GHz every time.

Thank you very very much for any help.

Ok I fixed it.

If anyone else has this problem look up slow mode booting switch in the manual.... SMH..

Back