• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

4790K overclocking need some help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Cnaydmancangt

Hey guys need some help overclocking this cpu.. What settings do you guys recommend I turn off or on in the bios or tweaks and so forth.. And also do you know if its possible to overclock the cpu but also allow it to lower its voltage you know how it does on stock setting. going from 4400 MHz to 800 MHz and lowering its voltage as well..

I dunno if I want my cpu to run 24.7 at the voltage I have preset. And besides prime95 what other programs are there to check the cpu stability ? Also whats the safest range for voltage.. Im not after maximum power and pushing vcore to the limit.. I honestly don't need any FPS increases as all my games maxed are getting 60fps (I have a 60hz LCD). I just want to see what the cpu is capable of getting so down the road when I do need a boost in frames I know what to put it at.. Currently messing around in the bios I have the cpu at 4600mhz using a 46 multiplier and the vcore is at 1.22v.

And memory overclocking, Does it even help these days ? I currently have a 16GB of G.skill Ripjaw x The blue kind with lower timings like 9-9-9-24 at 1.5v. I tried Jumping it up to 1800mhz over 1600 and it just causes problems and raising the voltage to 1.55v didn't do anything so I probably have to lax the timings.. but im wondering in the past lower timings over sheer MHz was better to a point..

And what benchmarks do you all use now. Im only familier with 3dmark and stuff from the past.. Im 7 years behind everything

See the Haswell overclocking Guide in my signature... :)

Yes it is possible to overclock and have the CPU throttle down.

What voltage do you have preset? So long as you keep it under 1.4v and temps are in order (under 90C while stress testing - I know it is from your slew of other threads and mentioning it).

Memory overclocking only really helps with iGPU, or multiple GPU setups, or benchmarking for the most part.

Benchmarks for CPU? SuperPi 1M/32M, WPrime, and for your GPU, the latest 3DMark, Unigine Heaven and Unigine Valley, AIDA64 and memmtest for Memory, etc.

Back