• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

4790k temp issues

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

KDSNA

Registered
Hi guys and girls,

i'm having some issues with the temps on my watercooled 4790k.

My system is:

4790k at stock speeds and stock voltages (4-4.4ghz)
GA-Z97X-Gaming G1 WIFI-BK Board
16GB dominator platinum 2133Mhz
240GB GT Corsair SSD
2TB WD black
NZXT switch 810
AX860 PSU
R9 290X At 1000/1250

Cooling system:

240+RX360 radiators, push on the 360 with GentleTyphoons @ ~1000RPM, and push with some other slow fans on the 240, might switch them soon anyway.

ek supremacy hf CPU block
ek block on the GPU and ek backplate
Good reservoir and Swiftech MCP655-B Pump.

The GPU temps are good, never over 40C, and VRM's temps are good too.
CPU temps, however, suck.

With this exact settings, i'm pushing 70+ running prime95 very quickly.

After many attempts at this, i'm starting to think that this is the same IHS paste that i saw with the ivy bridge.

Any thoughts or ideas?

Thanks!

"After many attempts at this", are you stating you remounted the block using fresh TIM and using a criss/cross pattern tighten it?

"After many attempts at this", are you stating you remounted the block using fresh TIM and using a criss/cross pattern tighten it?

Yes, i have, i even tried another block, i have spares (apogee XT).
Obviously the loop is working well, otherwise i would see higher temps on the GPU i guess.
Might it be voltage issues?

Hmm, could be voltage. Have you tried lowering the cpu voltage and see how low you can get it stable?

What would be a good voltage for this CPU? I think i tried a while back, and the voltage wasn't high to start with so i didn't have much room to lower it.

Not sure. Every chip is different. Start by lowering it .5 at a clip and reboot. Then test for stability. What's the voltage at now?

Wow. Not much room to lower it. Could very well be the factory TIM under the IHS is dried out. Only 2 solutions:

1) Delid
2) RMA

You can try lowering the vcore, but I'd doubt that would make a difference.

Wow. Not much room to lower it. Could very well be the factory TIM under the IHS is dried out. Only 2 solutions:

1) Delid
2) RMA

You can try lowering the vcore, but I'd doubt that would make a difference.

Yeah, i think i tried to lower it, but it didn't change much. I'm not going to delid, but an RMA might be an option. I've got an RMA for a 3770K with this issues, i guess i could get one again.

Thanks.

Back