• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

4870X2 Cooling Options

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

trajanus

So I've been running a 4870X2 for awhile now and I've been able to keep the temperature from reaching ridiculous levels by manually running the fan at faster than stock speeds (usually 40-50% depending on the game).

Unfortunately, probably due to the extra wear this is becoming unfeasible. I recently installed Silent Hunter 4 and I'm forced to run the fan at 70-75% just to keep the temperature at about 85C otherwise it spikes to about 98-99C and the fan speed goes to 100% which makes it sound like the card is on the verge of liquefying, which at 99C maybe that's exactly what its doing (kidding! . . . I hope).

I had looked into aftermarket air coolers after I purchased it, didn't find a whole lot, and figured I'd wait until I started having issues with the stock cooler since there'd be more options on the market.

Well, the joke's on me because from my Google searching it appears there are now NO options on the market. The only one I was able to find any info on (Arctic Cooling Accelero Xtreme 4870X2) has been discontinued and judging from various forum posts 4870X2 users have been scouring the earth for them for the last year.

If anyone does know of any decent aftermarket air coolers available for the 4870X2 that would be awesome. Since that seems unlikely, what are my alternatives?

This is where you all shout WATER COOLING! And while I'm sure that would be effective I don't really have the money currently to go with water cooling, nor am I thrilled by the idea of having water tooling around in my case.

I know that doesn't leave a ton of options, but that's why I'm here asking for help. In my searching I ran across this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...88112&cm_re=vantec_PCI-_-35-888-112-_-Product
And I do have some free PCI slots. Obviously it won't help the videocard directly nor near as much as water cooling or an aftermarket cooler but has anyone had success with that model or those types of coolers? If that particular model sucks, can you recommend a better one?

Also I've been reading that getting better thermal paste can help (though I've also seen 4870X2 users complaining that better thermal paste barely dented their temperature problems), any recommendations on that?

Anyway, sorry for the long read and thanks in advance!

HAve you cleaned out dust/etc from the cooler? You could replace the stock thermal paste with some MX-2 or similar paste and it could help a bit as well.

Unfortunately for that card the only real options are 4870x2 Accellero or some watercooling solution that I am aware of for when I had the card (since replaced).

Back