• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

4Ghz Club [Core 2 Duo]

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
If you wanna get into the club easy, download clockgen, and open clockgen and CPU-Z at the same time. Clockgen to 4 GHz, and then quickly switch to the CPU-Z window and hit F5 (for a screenshot) and F7 (for validation). There aren't any stability rules, and suicides are called just that for a reason. :)

enz660 said:
damn you all!!!! I will make a 3.9ghz club!!!! :mad: :mad:
1.7vcore, cant boot after this speed..

not like I would want to put more vcore into this thing anyways...

get into some extremely low ambients and you'll most likely get 4ghz+ ...

on my 6400, if testing indoors with my standard infinity air cooler ... i hit a wall around 3.9 ghz ... but if i wait for an exceptionally cold morning and move my rig to the driveway and test open case in 3C ambient temps ... i can get it right to the edge of 4.2ghz.

the impact of ambients on my max overclock tests has been extraordinary ... for instance, if i bench in a 13C room, i can only hit 4.06ghz or so ... but if i then move my rig outside in 3C ambients, i can get it to just under 4.2ghz ...

another thing i did was shut the computer down for at least 2 minutes before each test, with a fan blowing on all components to make sure all heat critical areas were starting off at the absolute lowest temps for each test; running concurrent, back to back tests seemed to slowly diminish my scores as things heated up more under each consecutive restart.

you'll get 4ghz, bro ... just wait till it's freezing out and setup in the driveway for a couple hour bench-a-thon! keep it to 2 to 3 hours to avoid possibilities of condensation.

my neighbors drove by at 5am and thought i was a madman, i'm sure, but it got me to almost 4.2ghz and a record score in sciencemark 2.0 :) :

drive2.jpg

leojharris said:

on my 6400, if testing indoors with my standard infinity air cooler ... i hit a wall around 3.9 ghz ... but if i wait for an exceptionally cold morning and move my rig to the driveway and test open case in 3C ambient temps ... i can get it right to the edge of 4.2ghz.

the impact of ambients on my max overclock tests has been extraordinary ... for instance, if i bench in a 13C room, i can only hit 4.06ghz or so ... but if i then move my rig outside in 3C ambients, i can get it to just under 4.2ghz ...

another thing i did was shut the computer down for at least 2 minutes before each test, with a fan blowing on all components to make sure all heat critical areas were starting off at the absolute lowest temps for each test; running concurrent, back to back tests seemed to slowly diminish my scores as things heated up more under each consecutive restart.

you'll get 4ghz, bro ... just wait till it's freezing out and setup in the driveway for a couple hour bench-a-thon! keep it to 2 to 3 hours to avoid possibilities of condensation.

my neighbors drove by at 5am and thought i was a madman, i'm sure, but it got me to almost 4.2ghz and a record score in sciencemark 2.0 :) :

drive2.jpg

LLLOOOOLLLL YOU ARE MAD HAHAA!!! jk lol, but really wow, I wouldnt do that I think...

by the way, I cant run clockgen and cpuz at the same time...it gives me some error that the device driver is already installed...

You need to DL the latest versions of each. And in Clockgen, when you're setting the PLL, make sure to check off "Ignore PCI/GSB"

leojharris said:

drive2.jpg

:clap: :clap: :clap: Now that's hardcore benching bro!!!! LOL...... Nice clocks though.

enz660 said:
LLLOOOOLLLL YOU ARE MAD HAHAA!!! jk lol, but really wow, I wouldnt do that I think...
by the way, I cant run clockgen and cpuz at the same time...it gives me some error that the device driver is already installed...

yes. it's all about the scores ... i was sciencemark 2.0 stable at just under 4.2ghz. check the link ... that's me at number two:

no guts. no glory!!

(actually, it was quite fun)

ok well, i changed the clock speeds to 3.986 or something adn it was fine. Then I increased the speed to 4.006 and it froze up about 5 seconds later. I will try later tonight when its VERY cold maybe...

on another note: holy **** just watched some new crysis vids!!! felt something in my pants right after... haha

Gautam said:
You need to hit F7 within those 5 seconds. ;)
I hit f5 and f7 a bunch of times, where do those screen shots save? I cant get the validation as well (never validated cpu before)

enz660... have you touched your ICH voltages... NOT THE MCH but ICH... max out both the ICH and MCH voltages... this got me past the p5w dh 430fsb wall.... before i knew about this i was able to boot at 445 but it was very very unstable... couldnt get to windows and it took ALOT morevoltage then 430... max out the ICH voltage and it should induce some stability.

lol i was in the same situation... i could do 440 bootable and cpuzable but nothing else... i maxed out ICH voltage and i was able to do 4ghz @ 1.65volts... with ambient temps around 18-20*C

and MAKE SURE you have good cooling on ur NB (AS5 plus 40mm fan worked for me)

EDIT... i did it at 1.65v in bios

Wow I can't wait to get my x1900XTX back. It's below freezing tonight and this could've been my only chance. Here in Texas it's cold one minute and burning up the next, go figure.

Man wish I could crank mine up more. It was -12C last night outside but theres no spot for me to even connect a rig outside if I could.

I really have no issues even running 3.76Ghz while not stable have to figure out what it really needs to become "orthos stable" but it bearly breaks 60C with 1.6V case closed in a 20C room running orthos for 10min. But getting much higher is crash on loading windows or no boot.

Back