• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Core 2 Duo E8500 + P5B Deluxe overclocking

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Try testing the overclock with both the 2x1Gb kit and the 2x2GB separate... Or rather each kit individually... I'd also manually enter in the default primary timings for each kit... like 5-5-5-15 or 4-4-4-12.

Try testing the overclock with both the 2x1Gb kit and the 2x2GB separate... Or rather each kit individually... I'd also manually enter in the default primary timings for each kit... like 5-5-5-15 or 4-4-4-12.
I agree, but do you think it will bring back the lost straps?

This chipset was originally designed for CPUs with a 266 MHz FSB and the lowest the memory could run at was 2:1 so you would get a memory speed of 533 MHz. When you overclock this board to a FSB of 400 MHz, the lowest you can run your memory at is 800 MHz.

These boards are not happy when running 4 sticks of memory. Overclocking will be a lot more productive if you only use 2 sticks.

I still use my P5B Deluxe. It has been to hell and back but I have a hard time retiring a board that can be reliably overclocked over 100%. It was ahead of its time.

VlIJMGl.png

The P5B Deluxe does not like running a high FSB when using a Quad so a few years ago I switched to a QX9650 with an unlocked multi. This allows some decent total MHz while being able to leave the FSB at this CPUs default of 333 MHz. If you need any help with voltages, etc., I will post a screenshot.

This board also has some FSB MHz holes where it is not happy. A FSB of 390 MHz to 400 MHz can be a problem but beyond that should be smooth sailing as long as all of the voltages are set appropriately.

Bios 1237 and 1238 have worked well for me.

Edit - With the QX9650, I have the FSB set to 333 MHz.

Memory 2.05V
CPU Vcore 1.35V
FSB Termination 1.30V
NB Vcore 1.55V
SB Vcore 1.60V
ICH Chipset 1.215V

On the memory page in the bios I am using these number from top to bottom,
5, 5, 5, 15, 6, 42, 4, 12, 4, 12 and Static Read Control is set to AUTO.

I am using some OCZ Reapers that were rated at DDR2-1150 but I am running these comfortably at DDR2-1000 now so I could keep the memory voltage low.

cBUR3Gl.png

With your Bus Speed going over 400 MHz, you should run your memory at 5, 5, 5, (15 or 18) to get as much out of it as possible.

Last edited:
Back