• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Core 2 Duo E8500 + P5B Deluxe overclocking

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SoNgOkO

Hello All,

I want to get a few extra FPS in the games I play on my machine and I decided to overclock my system.

My configuration is the following:

Asus P5B Deluxe (newest BIOS)
Intel Core 2 Duo E8500
OCZ PC2 6400 Gold Series 2x 1GB + 2x 2GB (the 1gb stick and the 2gb stick have different timings)
Scythe Infinity /w backplate and 2x 120mm ventilator in a push-pull config.

I disabled all the usual settings in BIOS as advised in many guides. I also left all the voltage settings on auto except the CPU Vcore which I set to 1.175 in BIOS which translates into 1.12 while monitored in Windows under load and ram voltage which is currently at 2.05 in BIOS.

My current issue is getting into Windows past 390 FSB. I keep getting a blue screen. Timings of ram are set to AUTO.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
OC 1.png

Last edited:
My fastlane settings to 4.2, maybe more,
pending your cooling solution and chip quality.
Mis-matched ram is gonna hurt you.

CPU Ratio = 9.5
FSB Frequency = 450
FSB Strap = 333
DRAM Static Read Control = Disabled
DRAM Read Training = Disabled
Memory OC Charger = Disabled
CPU Voltage = 1.38125
CPU GTL = .65x
CPU PLL = 1.58
FSB Termination = 1.28

How do these settings translate to the Asus P5b Deluxe settings? I am posting the pics of my bios so that you see what options I have available. IMG_20150314_080203.jpg IMG_20150314_080221.jpg IMG_20150314_080233.jpg

Hmmm....not so many options on your board. These settings should get you over 4 gig no problem. If you get a no boot situation, dial back the CPU frequency to 400, and you can inch up a little at a time from there.

CPU Ratio = 9.5
CPU Frequency = 450
Static Read Control = Disabled
CPU Vcore Voltage = 1.40
NB Vcore= 1.55
FSB Termination Voltage= 1.40

Hmmm....not so many options on your board. These settings should get you over 4 gig no problem. If you get a no boot situation, dial back the CPU frequency to 400, and you can inch up a little at a time from there.

CPU Ratio = 9.5
CPU Frequency = 450
Static Read Control = Disabled
CPU Vcore Voltage = 1.40
NB Vcore= 1.55
FSB Termination Voltage= 1.40

Hey, thanks for your reply. I tried the options you suggested but the system didn't go into Windows. I therefore decided to revert to my older configuration.

As you see I am close to the 4Ghz mark although I hit some problems with stability. I ran Prime95 blend test and 1 of the cores keeps failing. I am slowly increasing the Vcore and re-runing the test. Any tips and suggestions are welcome.

IMG_20150314_142617.jpg

You're on the right track. Add Vcore. What are the temps like?
You ram speed is now in an overclocked state. You'll have to keep that in check now too.

Under Prime95 blend test the temperatures are around 50 C. I will keep adding the Vcore until I get a stable OC.

Regarding the RAM i have the OCZ Gold Series so it should handle the higher speeds, unless it is just marketing hype :D

Thanks for you help!

I seem to be having problems with stability. I have kept adding the vcore in order to resolve the stability issues. With each voltage bump the temp was slightly higher and the failure of the cores was alternating. I increased the vcore to 1.4125 in BIOS but the instability remains.

These are the last settings I used but were unstable.
IMG_20150314_152716.jpg

I personally wouldn't go much higher on the Vcore for that overclock. You have a different issue working against you right now. I suspect the ram. Put a divider/strap (DDR2-667) on that to get it back below 800 and try for stability again.
That would be the 333 strap I spoke of earlier. ;)

Last edited:
I personally wouldn't go much higher on the Vcore for that overclock. You have a different issue working against you right now. I suspect the ram. Put a divider/strap (DDR2-667) on that to get it back below 800 and try for stability again.

Hey, thanks for you reply. I don't know where to find the divider/strap in BIOS. I am sure that the Asus P5B Deluxe has some-kind of options as it was the premium board of its time. I am checking the manual but I can't seem to find any info on divider/strap.

The DRAM Frequency is linked to the CPU frequency. For example if I select the DRAM frequency while the CPU frequency is set to 410 then the options will be DDR2-820, DDR2-1025, DDR2-1230 etc. In order to reach the DDR2-667 I need to set the CPU frequency to 333.

I found this link http://forums.aria.co.uk/showthread.php/3411-Overclocking-with-an-Asus-P5B-deluxe which features a chapter on memory divider but I am not understanding it.

IMG_20150314_160029.jpg

Yes, I understand that.
So what you're saying is, your lowest option is 820 @ a 410 BCLK?
It shouldn't be. Your manual says that you should have options all the way down to DDR2-533.

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    118.6 KB · Views: 1,129
I am a bit puzzled now. I updated the bios to the newest version. Is is possible that that caused the difference? Or does it have to do with the quad pumped thing? Since at CPU frequency 200 I get those DRAM Frequency options.

IMG_20150314_161422.jpg

If that's the case, and you can't get the ram any slower, that will be a huge limit to your overclock. The ram speed is what's holding you up.
If you cannot slow it down more, the alternative would be to buy faster ram.

Thanks for your help. I will see what can be done. I will try with the matched sticks of ram to see if it is better. I will also see if I can get any faster ram.

Thanks a lot!

Back