• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

$4k gaming rig… overclock or not?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
So, the only thing I think I'm wrong about is the max VRAM, not the performance. There are at least a couple videos on youtube that test two R9 295xes (quad) and at least one site that benches them with noticeable scaling improements: http://www.hardocp.com/article/2014...x2_crossfire_video_card_review/6#.VOtwVp9DuoI I know an R9 295x isn't the same as an r9 290x, but there is still a cost competitive interest in building it.

For a little more than GTX 980, one could buy an R9 295x at $700x2 and pair it with a 1500w psu. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150710&cm_re=r9_295x-_-14-150-710-_-Product

Correct, just that vRAM stacks (or does not, LOL)... nobody mentioned you were off on the performance/scaling side of things. We know 2 295x2's scale. ;)

If it means anything to you, I've been seeing chatter on DX12 allowing stacking of video memory. So be on the lookout :)

(*Of course, could always just be typical rumor mill)

The concepts involing shared or stacked memory are also being made available in OpenGL, and as a member of the Khronos developer program I've had beta development packages for a few months. Even when it's released, don't expect to see it in new titles for a long while. It's not the games that require modification (well, yeah, it is them too), it's the game engines. Most game production companies don't make their own engines. Those that do share the engine code among several releases (and reuse engines with MINOR modifications for years). New rendering component of an existing engine can take anywhere from 6 months to 2 years to end up in a title.

The benefit isn't quite what you'd expect in multi-card setups. The technology is really aimed at designs like AMD's APU's on consoles first. The problem is that RAM can't be shared over a bus in existing card designs, not as addressable memory. I can't be sure of the most recent nVidia, but the most recent AMD cards are barely equipped to support it (firmware may help). Instead, data to be shared still has to be copied from one card to another, shipped over the bus. It's a serial concept, still steeped in the client/server architecture of general GPU programming. One can request assets (materials, models, etc) for use in another GPU, but it still has to be shipped as blocks of data over the bus. This isn't much different in timing compared to the CPU providing it outright. It's more logical to divide assets into groups which can be distributed to one card or another for processing, such that the vertex and fragment processing phases can operate in partial scene content, posting to a common output buffer (which still requires bus traffic in most cases). This is a "divide and conquor" approach where the two (or more) cards render a scene's contents divided among them, posting the final results to the hidden display image. It's not really stacking. It doesn't make two cards with 4G each look like an 8G card. It's still two 4G cards, only now the method of using each card is 'inverted'.

When multiple cards render a scene under the current paradigm, the output is banded or tiled. Each card processes the entire scene, which is duplicated in each card. Pixel by pixel, the GPU power is divided over the display area.

In the new paradigm, each card can have different scene content. There can be a common output buffer, and they can still tile or band, but now the scene content and materials data need not be fully duplicated. This does not always reduce duplication, however. Materials are often reused, sometimes as layers or components to shader code which renders them quite differently. Quick example, you can have a brick texture that's common, but provide different noise and 'dirt' components to make different brick walls appear very unique. Models representing instances are also reused, and in the case of the new paradigm, assets like these will require duplication on multiple cards.

Further, this causes a slight loss in overall storage compared to a flat memory model. If you have 6 Gbytes of assets, you have to figure out how to divide these among two cards. You may easily think 3 G in each, and roughly that may be the case, but inevitably some duplication will make that work out more like 3.5 G in each card, and there are also hard boundaries (you can't split textures or model content) such that the final "balance" will be more like 3.7 in one card and 3.4 in the other. In other words, it won't be quite as comfortable as thinking two 4G cards equate to a single 8G memory space. It's still two 4G memory spaces. If you had 8G of assets to squeeze in, it probably won't cleanly divide into two 4G databases. There will be "slack" of wasted potential. It will work out to 7G and change.

This would allow greater complexity of models and materials, but it's doubtful there will be a gain in performance. There could actually be a slight loss of performance if the tendency were to increase model complexity or material complexity.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/6JFwK8

Here ya go, you'll need a OS but even at that you'll be only a few $ over IF you choose one worthy of the build.

PLENTY of future to it. ;)

SS

Meh on the cooler, you didn't even get quad channel RAM, literally flushing money down the toilet with the overkill on the PSU, and didn't pick a 3D monitor.
I don't see how a 5960X has a place for his uses anyway. Also missing th eOS.

Meh on the cooler, you didn't even get quad channel RAM, literally flushing money down the toilet with the overkill on the PSU, and didn't pick a 3D monitor.
I don't see how a 5960X has a place for his uses anyway. Also missing th eOS.
Can't have everything ..... room to grow from the base and won't get tired of the performance in month either.
Doesn't have a 4k 144MHz :cry: monitor either. :p

SS

Update! I have come up with an over the top gaming build! http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Y4QpJx

I'm curious what people think are the biggest "overkill" parts and why, along with possible alternatives please =P. Same with the biggest "underkill" (considering the build is pretty expensive) and again alternative suggestions if you could.

4-way sli based mostly on this: http://www.tweaktown.com/articles/6...single-sli-3-way-sli-and-4-way-sli/index.html I realize the article concludes "it's not worth it" but the article is not considering 3d/vr (the article does mention 4way might be worth it for multi monitor setups though). I also realize the article is meant for 4k resolutions and not active 3d...but it's the closest modern article I could find.

The size of the ram/ssd/hdd are probably going to be considered too small for this build by most people but the sizes are based on my personal requirements (unless someone can site a game (w/o a memory leak) that requires more than 16gb ram). Additionally the high cost of the ram can be attributed to it being the fastest ddr4 I could find using frequency/cas formula.

I plan on OCing the cpu to around 4.5ghz...not sure if I will try to overclock the memory...why not I guess.

I am most unsure of the motherboard. Seems like there could/should be a better option in terms of lower cost or a motherboard which is better suited for overclocking. I'm also a bit unsure if a faster SSD would be worth throwing into the mix.

At the moment this is the computer I plan on building in about a month. I realize this is quite a bit more than my original $4k limit..but I couldn't help myself haha.

you didn't even get quad channel RAM

Not sure what you mean by this. Do you mean he doesn't have 4 ram chips? Seems like I read somewhere that you want as few chips as possible. Might be misremembering or the article may have been old.

Or maybe you mean something entirely different?

In any case now I'm reading up on memory. Gah my history has REALLY filled up with random computer hardware articles/blogs/etc over the past month. ^^

Just read up on memory here http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/prin...ple-and-Quad-Channel-Memory-Architectures/133 Now I know why I read fewer chips is better. Old technology. =P.

Last edited:
Not particularly old technology, it's just the way that particular type of setup (2011) works vs a standard setup. First thing to notice should have been the 8 DIMM slots vs the standard 4. With 2011 you want to work with quad channel just like with say 1150/1155 you want to work with dual channel.

Exactly Sobe.

Its a quad channel platform, use quad channel. The IMC is strong enough to handle four sticks at whatever most people need them for.

As far as the rest of the build? No clue why the $1K processor. No clue on 4x 980's. 2/3 will be fine for single 4K gaming. No clue on the $600 motherboard either. Perhaps I missed it in the other 33 posts, but unless you will actually use 8 cores in what you do, or if you have MULTIPLE 4K monitors, or unless you NEED the features of that motherboard, there are ways to save a ton of money in this build and still have it be absolutely amazing.

Exactly Sobe.

Its a quad channel platform, use quad channel. The IMC is strong enough to handle four sticks at whatever most people need them for.

As far as the rest of the build? No clue why the $1K processor. No clue on 4x 980's. 2/3 will be fine for single 4K gaming. No clue on the $600 motherboard either. Perhaps I missed it in the other 33 posts, but unless you will actually use 8 cores in what you do, or if you have MULTIPLE 4K monitors, or unless you NEED the features of that motherboard, there are ways to save a ton of money in this build and still have it be absolutely amazing.

1k processor for future proofing more or less. Seems like more and more games coming out that support more than 4 cores.

4-way sli because I want an average of 144fps @ 2560x1440 in 2d mode (buttery smooth gamesplay). This rig is meant for 3d which means 144 frames will be cut in half while running in 3d mode. Half is 72fps per eye and I don't want to dip much below that. I realize anything above 60 only makes a game "feel" more smooth. I don't care about 4k display. There just don't happen to be any modern articles that run benches on 3d or VR gaming rigs. Tallying up totals for games that average 120ish+ fps on that 4k article I linked included about 17 games, 2-way sli was 7 games, 3-way sli was 9 games. Again I realize this is for 4k and not 3d (which is pretty equivalent to a 2 monitor setup) but I couldn't find better info.

As mentioned I was most unsure of the motherboard but didn't quickly see any others which supported ddr4 3200. I would go through them all but am worried that even if I do find a cheaper MB that supports 3200 maybe it wouldn't be as nice for overclocking. No idea what to look for in terms of motherboards and overclocking. Will have to read up when I have time =P.

That is because 3D is really gimmicky and has, IMO, fallen out of favor for a lot of people. Id rather go 4K today than to invest in 3D.

You don't need DDR4 3200MHz. As was mentioned to you earlier, get something a bit more appropriate. DDR4 2800 is plenty fast and a hell of a lot cheaper than the fastest of the fast, 3200Mhz, and is supported by all boards AFAIK.

I would get a 5930K and save $400. By the time 8c/16t are used in a lot of games making its price point worth it, you will be looking to upgrade your system. The cores wont matter so much as the faster clock for clock performance.

As far as good overclocking and is good at everything else, try the ASrock X99 Extreme 6/AC. THere is no need for a $600 board. :)

100% agreed with everything EarthDog says there.

3D is no longer much, if any focus of game developers at this point. In a year or so we may start to see something for VR, but that still isn't 3D. I'm not aware of anyone posting anything for what will be needed for VR yet, but 4 980s is largely overkill, where the diminishing returns after 3 are so small that you're basically throwing money away. And if you got to a point where you somehow needed a 4th you can buy it after you know that.

The performance increase in that RAM is so slim there's no reason to waste the money on it, get a decent set of DDR4-2800 and be very happy.

Motherboard is completely overboard as is the CPU. a Hexcore 5930k still isn't taken advantage of it almost all games, and by the time it is there will be better and likely cheaper options on the market to upgrade to.

If anything I would save some of that money and put it towards a 1TB SSD, being able to load virtually all of your active steam library onto it without needing to use SteamTool to move files around would be nice.

Last edited:
Everyone has told him he doesn't need it, so he knows that. Now it's up to him to decide if he wants a rig of this caliber. I'd love to see it personally and would love to have it for my main game room PC

Everyone has told him he doesn't need it, so he knows that. Now it's up to him to decide if he wants a rig of this caliber. I'd love to see it personally and would love to have it for my main game room PC

Yes it is his choice

My 2 cents if you want to overspend and can afford to by all mean go ahead but I'd still stick with a hex as it will out perform the octo in games

Agreed, and that was all we did. Fill in the blanks and correct misconeptions that his decisions were based off of. ;)

Ok. I nearly did not post again. I am so bipolar with this build. I feel like I keep making extreme changes in each direction every time I post lol. None the less.

I researched 3d more and decided "Screw that it's dying and I don't want some gimp tech that's being kept alive via compatibility mode to be my main building point." I also decided "No future proofing. Something can come out tomorrow that beats most of the "future proof" hardware." Probably wont happen..but it could happen.

So instead I went with "budget" gamer that I feel should be able to run most games pretty strongly.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/HCZsBm
Currently at $2226...I just noticed my ram price is no longer listed. Apparently that ram is no longer available =(. I am re-using my current PSU, HDD, optical drive, and keyboard. I plan on purchasing another 980 when I feel the need for more power and when the prices have dropped substantially.

I have a friend who said I should get a better motherboard but he didn't specify in which regards. I've noticed ATM and others suggesting the Extreme4 5 and 6 in other builds. Looking at the specs the only reason I'd consider a 4 over a 3 is the 4 has a newer audio codec....however I'd rather just buy a real sound card if I decided I care about audio that much. I know the 4 has 3-way SLI support but I'd rather just buy new video cards if 2 980s aren't cutting it.

I've already purchased a 4.8ghz 4790k from Silicon Lottery (thanks for the tip ATMINSIDE (from another thread)).

So I am posting this for the same reason I've posted everything else. I'd like to know what the overclockers.com community thinks. Are there any upgrades that are almost definitely worth paying a bit more for (or maybe even less)? Is there a bottleneck somewhere I'm unaware of? Etc.

Thanks guys.

Last edited:
Back