• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

$4k gaming rig… overclock or not?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Looks like a really good build to me.

The only thing I would check is what the VRM phases are like between the Extreme 3 and 4 (how many phases, etc) which can make a stability difference with overclocking sometimes.

Other than that, some smart decisions there :)

Added a PSU, changed the RAM to something that's in stock, changed the motherboard.
On the board, it's worth the extra cash for the better audio codec and the better VRM.
PSU is overkill even for SLI, and it's one of the best quality units on the market, you're good there.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/XypgHx

Not sure why this is still in Extreme Cooling. I've moved it to general hardware. Good luck with the build!

Sweet. Thanks for the advice Janus67 and ATMINSIDE.

I had read up just a tiny bit on the two different audio codecs. Apparently the audio quality is effected by the mb design/manufacturer as much as by the actually audio codec so you can't just say "ALC1150 is better than ALC892" because it might not be if the mb is poorly designed. I suppose since I'm dealing with the same manufacture (and nearly even model of mb) chances are the 1150 will be quite a bit better in this instance.

I just came across this http://cdn.overclock.net/0/07/071b2d45_1.png It doesn't list the extreme3. I was hoping to compare but oh well. I'll just pull the trigger and get the 4. Before I do that though! Silicon Lottery used an Asus Maximus VII Formula to get to 4.8ghz on the 4790k. The advantages of the Formula seem to be: it is digital and has 2 more phases. The advantage of the Extreme4 seems to be: is it has a doubler.

Do you think the Extreme4 will be able to get me to 4.8ghz? Even if it can't I guess it's worth getting regardless because it's so much cheaper? $120 vs $293

Regarding the PSU I'm currently using an older Cooler Master 1k watt PSU. It only has an 80+ efficiency rating but I think it will still be overkill for this build and isn't going to add that much more to my electric bill compared to an 80+ gold? Is there another reason I should be considering a new PSU ATMINSIDE? Lol, initially typed "PSU ATM" but didn't want people thinking I meant "at the moment" =P.

Just thought "PSU almost definitely has to do with how well you can overclock." Thought it would be a good idea to link my current PSU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817171022 I realize it has more than a single 12v rail and there are plenty of people out there who swear that's horrible. I've spent a little time reading up and hearing both sides of the coin. This PSU has served me well for years so far. =P Still, let me know if you still think I should buy a new one and what specifically you're looking at in saying so please.

The 1150 will be better both because of the codec and the audio portion of the board is better designed on the Extreme4 over the Extreme3.

The Extreme4 will EASILY hit 4.8GHz for you.
For quite a while I used the Extreme6 for benchmarking and was running in the 5GHz+ range.
The Extreme4 uses the same VRM setup as the Extreme6.

How old is your Cooler Master unit?

Oh sweet! That's great news. I was just about to post saying I noticed the VII HERO is similar to the Formula in terms of OC stats and only costs $208. Guess I get to save about $88 ^^.

I couldn't find a manufacture date on my PSU, guessing it's hidden by my case. I know it's 6+ years old. I tried to look it up online with no luck. I did come across this though which offers additional specs: http://www.coolermaster.com/service/support/model/RS-A00-EMBA/ including a manual and test report.

Could I safely try my current PSU without the risk of burning up hardware even while OCing to 4.8ghz?

I can imagine 1 of 2 scenarios either yes I can but I will have stability issues if my PSU needs replaced or no an old PSU can/will destroy your CPU when you OC. Lol

Could I safely try my current PSU without the risk of burning up hardware even while OCing to 4.8ghz?

I can imagine 1 of 2 scenarios either yes I can but I will have stability issues if my PSU needs replaced or no an old PSU can/will destroy your CPU when you OC. Lol

Eh, it's old and wasn't a top-shelf unit even back when it was new.
I'd take the $100 hit and replace it without thinking twice.

Alright thanks again (for the 4th? 5th? etc. time) I appreciate it. It will probably be about 3 weeks before I have the time to get everything ordered. I will post pics once I've got it built though. ^___^

So I am going to attempt a lazy man paste of pics. Since I have a nexus phone and a google plus account (googles version of facebook..i never use it) google is constantly auto generating slideshow type things of my photos.

Going to try to share one here. Let me know if it's not viewable and I'll post pics another way.
https://plus.google.com/u/0/1102841...b806ab-ac67-30d2-84ac-3df809953c3a14c9aa8ba1b

The biggest issue I faced was with the radiator and motherboard. They both fit in the case...but not at the same time. Had to remove fans from radiator. This wasn't as easy as it should have been due to how they installed the screws. I had to use a funky screwdriver. I eventually was able to remove the fans and install the radiator on one side of the chassis and the fans for it on the other side.

Very happy with the computer, starts up super fast and runs the games I've played so far on max with zero problems.

Thanks for helping me build a great PC ^^

Back