• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

5 or more PCI-E Connectors Without Overspending?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tyerker

I am looking to build a PC based around an EVGA Z97 FTW motherboard. This board has a 6-pin PCI-E connector that is required when running SLI. It seems like most PSUs that are in the right wattage and price range only have 4 PCI-E connectors. I would rather not limit myself to GPUs with a single 8-pin if I don't have to. However, it seems like any time I find a PSU with 5+ PCI-E connectors, it's 850W+ and/or 80+ Platinum. The cheapest I could find (worth buying) is the Corsair AX760. But a 4790K and dual 980s would be under 500W, so it seems like overkill.

Any suggestions for sub-$100 PSUs with 5+ PCI-E connectors? Should I bite the bullet and go with an over-the-top PSU? Should I bite the other bullet and accept that I will need to have GPUs with single power connectors?

Earthdog, you are silly.

And that completely slipped my mind.

I try to bring a smile to faces when I can... :p

But being serious, that should work just fine for you. Some boards it isn't required to have that extra PCIe connector (will work without it, but it is recommended for high power cards), while others it won't work period. Confirm what it is on your board as you may end up being ok without it.

I think aesthetically, the Molex to PCI-E may actually be better, so I don't have the little 2-pin extension dangling.

Back