• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

5800x Too Hot

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

istari675

I just set up a new rig with a MAG B550 TOMAHAWK, 5800x, and a Noctua NH-D15. When I ran Cinebench my CPU temps reported in HWMonitor shot up to 90C steady. Both the CPU fans were running at 100% at that time. This cooler is a few years old at this point but it handled my previous 4790k as expected.

Make sure you have the very latest version of all software you use to monitor your system with. I just dropped a new 5800X into my rig nothing was reporting right till I updated my software. That being said I would recommend HWInfo64 to monitor your temps.

Make sure you have the very latest version of all software you use to monitor your system with. I just dropped a new 5800X into my rig nothing was reporting right till I updated my software. That being said I would recommend HWInfo64 to monitor your temps.

After updating HWMonitor it shows the same results. My fans also confirm since I set them to hit 100% after the cpu goes over 80C. The heatsink also isn't all that warm when I check how hot each tower is.

Seems about normal to me for air.....You're doing with a 105W CPU and cinebench isn't easy on CPUs, as short as it is.

The heatsink also isn't all that warm when I check how hot each tower is.
makes sense. The test takes ~20s... barely time to heat up...

I dunno, 90C seems hot for a top of the line air cooler. I'd make sure that your mount and paste spread is good.

I would check mount but tbh, these CPUs run hot so your CPU temps under full load won't be much better. Max temp is 90°C and above that, they're dropping voltages and clocks so it won't really throttle or overheat.

I dunno, 90C seems hot for a top of the line air cooler. I'd make sure that your mount and paste spread is good.

Once you unlock power limits then expect hitting 100°C+ and throttle/shut down ;) These CPUs only look like lower power and low heat but in reality, are not far from current Intel's 10th gen CPUs. Power limits and other settings are keeping them at lower voltages/temps. For example 5900X at auto settings runs up to 80°C on 360 AIO cooler. Maybe it's a matter of this CPU but it reaches 80°C and drops clock/voltages since that point. With an unlocked power limit, it passes 200W, reaches 100°C, and starts to throttle. The same cooler could keep 10900K below 100°C without throttling.

Last edited:
I'll have to try cinebench today with my 5800x and soon to be 5900x to get delivered today with my arctic freezer 2 280mm. I've been mining monero 24/7 and temps are in the mid-50s everything on auto.

Last edited:
I picked the 5800x over the 5600x for future proofing though. If the cpu gets fried from 5 years of running at 90C it's gonna last nearly as long as I would hope it to last. According to AMD a two tower cooler should be about to keep it at 80C under full load, and to my knowledge this cooler is one of the best on the market for air

I've got a 5950X under a 3x120mm AIO, so I can't really compare apples to apples... I only hit ~73C (in a 20C room, just turning on the system - so not normalized). After it sits idle and gets to temp, It hits 79C. Maybe it should run cooler, lol...

As was said, maybe check your mount and thermal application.

Edit - adjusted temps...

Last edited:
Thinking back my 4790K always ran kind of warm. I wasn't able to do any OCing without the temps getting to 75+ during stress testing. I'm gonna get my hands on a new heatsink to test to see if I might need to warranty replace my current one.

Reseat it and wipe off/reapply paste before you spend money...

Heatsinks like this, generally don't 'break' and quit working. ;)

maybe need to post what case you have and how the fans/airflow is setup in it. If you kept the same case, maybe the fans are pointing the wrong direction and causing higher ambient temps inside the case.

The CPU instantly hits 90C when I start cinebench and I have tried this all with the side panel off and a large fan blowing air directly into the case. Really seems like either the cpu is too hot or the cooler isn't getting enough heat to the radiator

Okay in that case I'd make sure you are getting a good mount with the cooler and good TIM spread - what TIM are you using?

With HWmonitor what voltage does it report to be using? Which temp are you referencing the cored or package temp?

This is what I had on 5900X and Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black ~3 weeks ago. Just a quick test but I thought I will post it.

112.jpg

I don't know if it's a matter of motherboard or used CPU but during cooler tests, my CPU had about the same temps on Noctua NH-U9S chromax.black and Enermax 360 AIO. The main difference was CPU's clock in AVX tests, voltages at which it was running (automatically adjusted) and fan(s) speed.
Considering my temps on the NH-D15S cooler, this is where it should be on the 5800X CPU as long as thermal limit is the same. In theory it should be 90C, not 80 but as I said, for some reason, my CPU on ASUS motherboard is acting this way.

Reseated the heat sink with the exact same results 90C max on cinebench multi core benchmark. Paste was evenly spread when I lifted it and I applied it in the same single dot method.

Is the TIM even covering the whole IHS? For me it never covers IHS with a "single dot".
Anyway, check longer stability tests like Prime95 small FFT or AIDA64 CPU+FPU test to find out if it runs at the same 90C max or it goes above that. Cinebench is too short test to tell anything. Maybe as I said before, it depends on the motherboard and it may run at "enchanced" boost settings so still reach CPU's maximum temp of 90C but run at a bit higher clock/wattage than at default.

When it hits 90C the VCore is at 1.30 and all the cores are at 4500. Not sure if this is standard or if it might be the board giving it too much juice. Even with it going for a few minutes like that the heatsink on my noctua cooler still barely registers as warm to the touch.

When I removed the cooler previously the paste was covering the full heat spreader. I applied a little more this time to be safe but theres not a single degree of change.

Update: I also tried letting the multicore benchmark run and what I find online suggests I should be getting 15245 I am actually ending up with around 14500 so it doesn't seem to be pushing any harder than average.

Last edited:
Sounds like it's more than default/auto setting for this CPU. I don't remember how it was on the 5800X (I had it for 2-3 days) but on the 5900X, the voltage is going below 1.2V and cores are closer to 4.0-4.1GHz. This is when AVX is enabled and it's supported by Cinebench. You have that on the screenshot which I posted earlier.
Maybe just clear CMOS and set manual LLC at 3.
Considering 1.3V, temps are about correct.

I picked the 5800x over the 5600x for future proofing though. If the cpu gets fried from 5 years of running at 90C it's gonna last nearly as long as I would hope it to last. According to AMD a two tower cooler should be about to keep it at 80C under full load, and to my knowledge this cooler is one of the best on the market for air

Why don't you just set 75C as maximum temperature in BIOS? I do that as I WCG 24/7. Temperature for Zen2 and Zen3 is much higher if AVX used (Intel sets lower frequency).

Back