• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

5800x Too Hot

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
According to the benchmarks it's already running poorly. Just setting it to throttle at a lower temp will just reduce the performance further.

According to the benchmarks it's already running poorly. Just setting it to throttle at a lower temp will just reduce the performance further.

Are you running 16 threads with CPB/PBO enabled? Better clock manually and set lower voltage, CPB is for one or two threads.

I just installed it on the MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk and the only thing I set is the memory profile and the fan curves. All the cpu configuration is completely stock and I did a reset on it when it was installed.

FWIW, my 5800x is currently sitting at 1.08v while mining on all cores at 4.1-4.2ghz. Temp of 53C

I'm going to assume the plastic cover on the bottom of the heatsink is removed unlike what someone else forgot to do :)

lableHS.jpg

Yeah this heatsink is 4 years old so I made sure there's no plastic covers slowing down any heat transfer. It's gonna be a week before I can get my hands on a new heatsink to test but I am confident it should not be running this hot out of the box. Throttling should be a rare event that happens when you push a cpu too hard with a weak cooler. This cooler is a monster that barely fits in my case.

Never ran Cinebench before, I assume I did it right.

5800x-CinebenchR23-Multicore Render.PNG

Got a final score of 14235, had other stuff running (chrome, etc) at the same time fwiw.

I'm wondering when and if AMD will come out with a 5700X with a lower TDP than the 5800X. I note that the 3800X is rated at 105W TDP and the 3600X is rated for 95W TDP while the 3700X is rated for 65W TDP. I think I read somewhere the other day that a 5700X was planned for a later release. That extra .1 or .2 ghz of core frequency seems to really jack up the vcore and heat.

That is a great question, one many have asked and thought the same... though I'm not sure how it will help solve the OP's temperature issue. :)

5900x-CinebenchR23-Multicore Render.PNG

I just got my 5900x in today, things barely changed in terms of temps (maxed out at 59-60c).

Not sure what is going on in your system, but should be better with that high end cooler, not like it's a 212+ or something.

Above was after 5 minutes of Cinebench multi-thread

I'm wondering when and if AMD will come out with a 5700X with a lower TDP than the 5800X. I note that the 3800X is rated at 105W TDP and the 3600X is rated for 95W TDP while the 3700X is rated for 65W TDP. I think I read somewhere the other day that a 5700X was planned for a later release. That extra .1 or .2 ghz of core frequency seems to really jack up the vcore and heat.

Believe me, TDP means nothing nowadays. It's only based on thermal/power limits set by manufacturer and real values are not even close to their TDP rating. 3700X has 65W TDP but it goes up to 90W+ and you still need 150W+ cooler to keep it below 90°C under full load. Once you unlock power limits (can even set something manual like a single ratio, and on some motherboards it will unlock automatically) then it passes 130W.

One quick comparison that I did in a small ITX case with 3700X and 3900X. When I used Noctua NH-U12A then 3900X had 6°C more under full load than the 3700X. Both were in about 90°C range so hard to say they run cool.

On Ryzen 5000, all this auto clock/voltage adjustment works much better. In real, 5000 series heats up more than 3000 (at least in my tests on multiple coolers) but has a wider voltages range and lower maximum Tj. For example, I don't remember my 3700X to drop below 1.2V under full load and 5600X/5800X/5900X go down to ~1.05V when I run any test with AVX for some longer. At this lowered voltage they hit their power limits which are not so much different from 3000 series.
What more, people complain at Intel but when you unlock power limits then Intel's 10th gen runs cooler on lower chips and for example my 10900K was still keeping ~90°C on 360 AIO, having ~240W when 5900X on the same cooler, at ~200W, hits 100°C and throttles down.

View attachment 212356

I just got my 5900x in today, things barely changed in terms of temps (maxed out at 59-60c).

Not sure what is going on in your system, but should be better with that high end cooler, not like it's a 212+ or something.

Above was after 5 minutes of Cinebench multi-thread

If you get ~60°C then something is wrong with temp readings. Maybe check hwinfo64 or Ryzen Master as other soft sometimes shows weird things. Even on 360 AIO, these chips have 80-85°C. You can read that in most reviews around the web.
One thing which for sure is right, is the fact that 5800X is not much different from 5900X. I also had similar temps on both of them.

One more thing. I was checking der8auer alternative mount kit which finally fits one of my motherboards and on 5900X I could barely see the difference in temps. It's also really annoying to install so I'm not recommending it. Dies location is about the same as in 3000 series so it should work the same. Still was worth to check.

Last edited:
The above screenshot is from hwinfo64. I haven't installed ryzen master yet, I'll give that a try and see.

It is, my apologies, in either case, I re-ran 30 minutes of cinebench and it topped out around 61C on hwmonitor, hwinofo, msi afterburner, and ryzen master [all 4 running simultaneously]

Back