• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

5800x Too Hot

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
[all 4 running simultaneously]
That can cause issues with readings... though I'm confident that individually they will show the same thing... just know that can cause issues with readings (4 things polling a sensor at the same time).

I can't believe how cool running that CPU is... wow.

Bottlenecking the CPU is not exactly a solution. I could keep it really cool and disable 2 of the cores, but that would just leave me with $150 bucks wasted.

Multicore Cinebench R23 is constantly locked at 90C and ends with a 14209 result which is about a 7% reduction in what I am seeing is the standard. The single core benchmark results with a 1582 which seems pretty typical and jumps between 67 and 72C. I tried PBO Curve -15 on all cores and did not see a single degree different in single core or multi core temps with >1% change on the benchmark results.

Last edited:
Can you run any longer test with hwinfo64 opened with power limits, clocks, voltages, etc visible? ... like I did in post #15.
As I said, these CPUs have in theory 90°C Tj so will reach that point and won't go above. I still have no idea why on various motherboards it's +/- 10°C.

It is, my apologies, in either case, I re-ran 30 minutes of cinebench and it topped out around 61C on hwmonitor, hwinofo, msi afterburner, and ryzen master [all 4 running simultaneously]

I've tested my 5900X in Cinebench R20 and R23 yesterday (actually for the first time in R23). In Cinebench my CPU was going up to 70°C and nothing above that. After 3x10 min of R23, it was still at ~70°C so to check max load and temps you have to use something else. In AIDA64 my CPU can reach ~80°C at the same auto settings and it's not the most demanding test.

I only started the monitoring during the cinebench R23 test and took the screenshot before it completed so it was only recording during the test.

Monitoring Results.PNG

Temps maybe seem high but I see no issues here. The CPU nearly reaches default power and temp limit. There is no throttling. Even though it looks high then I wouldn't worry about it. There is a chance that new BIOS will improve something but it's expected next month so have to wait.

Temps maybe seem high but I see no issues here. The CPU nearly reaches default power and temp limit. There is no throttling. Even though it looks high then I wouldn't worry about it. There is a chance that new BIOS will improve something but it's expected next month so have to wait.

So I either got a REALLY bad bin that generates so much heat at stock speeds that it gets too hot to benchmark with a $90 CPU cooler, or my CPU cooler has some kind of defect?

Yeah it could be the motherboard, but shouldn't issues with the motherboard be visible with these stats? Or are you suggesting the motherboard might be reporting incorrect voltages and they are higher than we can see?

Some reviews are showing about the same voltages as your CPU has under load and about 85°C. There are other coolers etc but it doesn't look much different. 5800X actually heats up more than the 5900X and it would be correct with my results (as I remember).
I see no problem with your CPU but temps could be a bit lower. It can be also a situation that the CPU boosts higher and demands higher voltages so also heats up more and since it has 90°C limit then reaches it at the highest possible clock. On your screenshot was 4.5GHz on all cores what is quite high for all cores under load. It can be that we are searching for a problem which doesn't exist.
The best would be if someone with the same cooler could confirm these results.

Some reviews are showing about the same voltages as your CPU has under load and about 85°C. There are other coolers etc but it doesn't look much different. 5800X actually heats up more than the 5900X and it would be correct with my results (as I remember).
I see no problem with your CPU but temps could be a bit lower. It can be also a situation that the CPU boosts higher and demands higher voltages so also heats up more and since it has 90°C limit then reaches it at the highest possible clock. On your screenshot was 4.5GHz on all cores what is quite high for all cores under load. It can be that we are searching for a problem which doesn't exist.
The best would be if someone with the same cooler could confirm these results.

If that was the case though it would reflect in the multi-core cinebench R23 benchmark. My benchmark is quite below what is to be expected for this processor, so there should be a bit of throttling going on.

I could run mine for a comparison but my vustom loop would kinda skew the comparison. From what I seen of your screen shot , as mentioned you're boosting to 4.5 on all cores that will generate some heat, I don't really see a problem though work is busy and I'm tired only 19 deliveries today still 100 to go. If your Temps are bothering you better cooling is required.

Check volts. My 5800X with default settings was using close to 1.42V and temps were near 80°C with a Custom LC (ambient temp was close to 30°C). Clocks were great tho. 4625 - 4650 for multithread and 4825-4850 for single thread. Volts are a bit scary tho. Better is to lower volts or use a fixed voltaje even at the cost of lower single thread clock. Regards

I got my hands on a brand new Noctua NH-D15 cooler and tested it with the same result. Either there is something wrong with my CPU or the motherboard. We can see all the voltages in my #44 post. It doesn't even slowly make its way to 90C either. It bolts up the 90C within 5 seconds of starting the Cinebench R23 test.

Trying out different stress testing utilities I have found many of them do not cause my CPU to reach 90C. I have also found that running the OCCT CPU stress test at stock settings my CPU is generating 60 WHEA errors within a minute of starting.

Last edited:
I'm getting temps of 75 degrees max on my 5800x when using cinebench and Aida 64 for 10 minutes. All you have to do is lap the cooler and the ihs using sandpaper. And mount the cooler 2mm lower using washers. Use good thermal paste or liquid metal. I'm getting cbr20 scores of 6200 and 640 and am using a dark rock pro 4 at 50 fan speed. Seems you don't have enough mounting pressure.

I have a 5800x on an Asus ROG Strix x470-F. Cinebench R20 goes between 75 to 80C' on a Noctua NH-U14S, with a Noctua IPPC 2000 pwm at max speed. The 5800x is hot, because it has 1x ccx, where the 5900x and 5950x are using 2. The 5800x is hotter because of how the heat is spreading to the IHS.

But hey, I wouldn't thought I would hit 87-90C on Prime95 with that CPU. I am wondering if a Freeze II 240mm would do a better job...

I have a 5800x on an Asus ROG Strix x470-F. Cinebench R20 goes between 75 to 80C' on a Noctua NH-U14S, with a Noctua IPPC 2000 pwm at max speed. The 5800x is hot, because it has 1x ccx, where the 5900x and 5950x are using 2. The 5800x is hotter because of how the heat is spreading to the IHS.

But hey, I wouldn't thought I would hit 87-90C on Prime95 with that CPU. I am wondering if a Freeze II 240mm would do a better job...

Big air coolers are better than watercooling if you care about silent performance as I do. Otherwise just build a custom open loop or use a watercooler which has quick disconnects that can be expanded to use 2 rads and add GPU into the loop. I would stay away from CLCs.

For future reference.....

Ran a few movies through my rig the other night. Missing the extra cores from the 3900x but the 5800X did admirable. So for a long run about 7.5 hours encoding with nearly 100% CPU usage max temp reached on my 5800X was 75*C that with a pretty big loop and no overclock all core boost was sitting around 4.4 if my memory is correct with max single core around 4.6.

So yes when you look at the numbers these chips do run warm, some may say hot.

I am running very conservative clocks on multithread and I am hitting 90c on stock cooler... I have friends with air setups and they say the same thing 90c. I am running my memory at 3200 in bios. Need to decide on a cooler for this thing. I just purchased a new case to transfer my box to (lian li 215).

cinebench_r23.PNG

Try setting the CPU fan speed to full speed in the BIOS, I do that on all of my PC's.

Back