• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

6700K OC TEST (Advice and INPUT need. THANKS.)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Chris_

So, after a few attempts and getting use to the UEFI BIOS for GIGABYTE GAMING GT, (I just recently switch to GIGABYTE from ASUS VIII HERO due to a bunch of issues and RMA stocking problems)
played around in the BIOS just to get a feel for the where are their setting and sub menus are.

I was able to start inputting my OC Setting. Now i initially started off, where i kinda of left off with the MAX VIII HERO which was at 4.6 at around 1.35v. now i manually inputted the same setting
multiplier 46, VCORE 1.350v no XMP yet, just testing for stability. ran AIDA64 while monitoring CPUID HWMONITOR stress test failed at about 2min mark so re-did VOLTAGE setting 1.375 failed again
I was finally able to get a stable OC for 4.6Ghz but with VOLTAGE input of 1.395 in the BIOS ran AIDA64 & HWMONITOR (SCREENSHOTS should be below.) for about 55 minutes no crash or fail now this
is the part where i need some input, from everyone that is stable with their OC and temps, to see if my test and setting and results are within reason. what i have is voltage from
HWMONITOR reading 1.378v to 1.390v varying but AIDA64 and CUPID are reading 1.296v to 1.308v different from what HWMONITOR is reading not sure which one is more accurate hoping the community
can shed some light now these read where taking as you will see 55 min into the stress test which is to me 100% stable but I want to make sure my temps and voltages are okay to be ran at all times.

NOW ON A SIDE NOTE: once I was able to get a stable OC for the 4.6 range, I went ahead and bumped the multiplier up to 4.7Ghz have a screen shot of it being stable although I only ran it for about 5 min or so.
But i did immediately noticed my temps and core voltages go up (SCREENSHOT OF THAT IS ALSO HERE.) i personally don't know or think if the 100mhz increase is worth the rise in temps and voltage. Let me know
if there is a difference. I'm open to everyone's opinion. Alot of you have been doing this longer then I have. thank's for the input it is Much appreciated.

6700K CPUID HWMONITOR STRESS TEST.jpg 6700K CPUID HWMONITOR STRESS TEST 50min in.jpg 6700k Aida64 stress test.jpeg 6700k Aida64 stress test 50min in.jpeg 6700K AIDA64 CPUID 50MIN IN.jpg 6700k 4.7Ghz OC stable test .jpg

what does your bios say in hardware manager, im a big beleiver in beleive your bios readings rather than 3 rd party readings, i beleived cpuz instead of my bios and i killed my gig EP45T EXTREME board because of it,,,,,Mr Scott taught me that

what does your bios say in hardware manager, im a big beleiver in beleive your bios readings rather than 3 rd party readings, i beleived cpuz instead of my bios and i killed my gig EP45T EXTREME board because of it,,,,,Mr Scott taught me that

Interesting never though it might be a bit bias but here are screen shots of the BIOS main page with OC setting memory seting and Vcore voltage and the second is of the actual input i made to get it stable

M.I.T._[23-37-17].jpg CPU Core Voltage Control_[23-37-57].jpg

:welcome: Chris :welcome:

Before anything else, is there any chance of you posting your full system specs ?

Rule of thumb on RoG forums about the 6700k is that if you cant make 4.6ghz at 1.35v you lost the "silicon lottery" and only good cooling will help you from there on since it's considered the safe voltage for 24/7 OC on good air, have you messed around with the LLC settings (assuming the Giga has any) ? From what i can see even at 1.408v you're not having any temp issues as it can safely go to ~90c.

lol i meant bios not bias, 2 completely different things

from what im seeing , in your hardware manager is saying, cpu temp 33.6, and voltage differences, hardware manager which is directly from your bios is saying different from some screen shots with 3rd party monitoring of what your bios is saying

v core is 1 .356
then 1. 78, then 1.320

my point is i beleive the bios not 3rd party anything, 33.0c in hardware monitor for cpu temp @1.356 v is well in the boundaries by far and as Kenrou said above about the cooling is no probs either, so i dunno which is reading wrong but i know which 1 ill back :thup:

Full system specs

Motherboard- Gigabyte Z170 Gaming GT

CPU- I7 6700K

Cooler- Corsair H110i GT Liquid Cooler

Thermal Compund- IC Diamond 7

RAM- Corsair Vengeance LPX 2666Mhz 2x8- 16GB

Main Drive- Kingston Hyperx Predator PCIEx4 Slot

Storage- 1TB Western Digital Blue

Graphics Card- EVGA GTX 980

PSU- Corsair RM750

Now, the "Funny part is when I did have to ROG VIII HERO board I had the voltages setup at 1.350v and the OC was stable." That was before, I had all the memory channel issues with that board. Not sure what exactly would be the reason, to have to bump the voltage up on my current "GIGABYTE" board? I did read on the ROG forum that the ROG brand board have something extra, that supposedly, "HELPS W/ OC" not sure how true that is. But, I haven't messed with the LLC in the "GIGABYTE" borad just did the common manual adjustment. I did disable the "TURBO BOOST feat" in the BIOS.

lol i meant bios not bias, 2 completely different things

from what im seeing , in your hardware manager is saying, cpu temp 33.6, and voltage differences, hardware manager which is directly from your bios is saying different from some screen shots with 3rd party monitoring of what your bios is saying

v core is 1 .356
then 1. 78, then 1.320

my point is i beleive the bios not 3rd party anything, 33.0c in hardware monitor for cpu temp @1.356 v is well in the boundaries by far and as Kenrou said above about the cooling is no probs either, so i dunno which is reading wrong but i know which 1 ill back :thup:

So, would it be safe to say that my BIOS, is more accurate then these third party software apps? seeing that my Vcore voltage according to the BIOS is 1.356. I'm curios to know why I had to input a "HiGHER" voltage setting to get to be a stable OC? IN the ROG Board my setting never passed 1.350v and i remember changing vccio to 1.1000v to here in the Gigabyte borad I didn't touch the vccio didn't think I would get anything of it.
But it is safe to say I have a good OC under stable temps that I can run at all times?

Easy way to test, download other apps like HWinfo64, RealTemp, CPU-z (there's others) and compare. Also is the BIOS updated ?

Easy way to test, download other apps like HWinfo64, RealTemp, CPU-z (there's others) and compare. Also is the BIOS updated ?

BiOS is current, Ver. F6

I'll download the other apps and do some side by side comparison , and see how my results vary.

Have you turned off Speedstep and EIST otherwise the voltage will jump around.
If you are going to read voltage in the Bios set what you want and reboot go back into the bios and read the voltage off the monitoring page what you set in the bios aint what it outputs there will be a difference.
Use CPUz latest version and compare the Core voltage to the voltage on the monitoring page it should be close.
Then you can just use CPUz

Voltage plays a much bigger role in temperatures than clockspeed. They both play a role, but voltage by far raises temps more than clockspeed alone.

As far as why one setting worked on your other board and not now... my initial guess is that the 'load' voltage was different. Perhaps your giga held the 1.35V you set in the BIOS while this board is showing more vdroop. Use LLC to combat that if that is what's going on.

Also , I don't know if Giga boards have the ability to sett LLC ( load line control). When left on auto this can cause the voltage to shoot higher than BIOS settings or even lower depending.

Have you turned off Speedstep and EIST otherwise the voltage will jump around.
If you are going to read voltage in the Bios set what you want and reboot go back into the bios and read the voltage off the monitoring page what you set in the bios aint what it outputs there will be a difference.
Use CPUz latest version and compare the Core voltage to the voltage on the monitoring page it should be close.
Then you can just use CPUz

In the BIOS it shows EIST BEING ENHANCED INTEL SPEED STEP, that setting was disabled just now. I took screenshot of voltage form a couple different sub menus. and it does seem to match cup-z i still havn't re done the benchtest will do that in a bit seeing as i just got off work.

PC Health Status_[13-30-19].jpg M.I.T. Current Status_[13-39-37].jpg Advanced CPU Core Settings_[13-48-17].jpg Advanced CPU Core Settings_[13-46-35].jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Also , I don't know if Giga boards have the ability to sett LLC ( load line control). When left on auto this can cause the voltage to shoot higher than BIOS settings or even lower depending.

I didn't see any LLC control option unlike in the VIII HERO ROG board i dont think my GIGABYTE board has this option. im not 100 percent sure but i didn't see anything similar.

I also have the Gigabyte Gaming 7. I hate that 3rd party programs don't read the vcore properly. And like you I also had the ASUS Maximus VIII Hero Alpha, which I returned because it seemed to only gain me 100 MHz more and there are just some things I like better about the Gigabyte board. If I remember right Gigabyte easy tuning software does read the vcore right.

I've had 3 different i7 6700k in my possession and in my opinion 4.5-4.6 is where you want to be if you want pure stability. Obviously we all share a different point of view on how to stress test. I'm the guy that says it needs to pass the toughest of test or it's not stable. Also I like running 4.5 because I can just adjust the multiplier with a voltage of around 1.25-1.26. To get 4.6 I have to come up to 1.36-1.37 vcore for that extra 100 mhz. Just not worth it to me.

And for the record all 3 of my i7 6700k's performed about the same FWIW.

As far as LLC goes the should have a Auto, standard/normal, and High. To my knowledge there's no fine tuning with LLC beyond that

Last edited by a moderator:
I also have the Gigabyte Gaming 7. I hate that 3rd party programs don't read the vcore properly. And like you I also had the ASUS Maximus VIII Hero Alpha, which I returned because it seemed to only gain me 100 MHz more and there are just some things I like better about the Gigabyte board. If I remember right Gigabyte easy tuning software does read the vcore right.

I've had 3 different i7 6700k in my possession and in my opinion 4.5-4.6 is where you want to be if you want pure stability. Obviously we all share a different point of view on how to stress test. I'm the guy that says it needs to pass the toughest of test or it's not stable. Also I like running 4.5 because I can just adjust the multiplier with a voltage of around 1.25-1.26. To get 4.6 I have to come up to 1.36-1.37 vcore for that extra 100 mhz. Just not worth it to me.

And for the record all 3 of my i7 6700k's performed about the same FWIW.

As far as LLC goes the should have a Auto, standard/normal, and High. To my knowledge there's no fine tuning with LLC beyond that

So I started using the easy tune after a few adjustments in the BIOS are pretty accurate since the easy tune does see 1.335 after and cpu-z see 1.300-1.335 and AIDS64 also reads 1.335 around that vicinity. I also ran intel XTU utility to see what vcore it was picking up and I can see it's also in the range of 1.335-1.348 give or take but in that general area i did start off with a high v core voltage in the bios which was at 1.395v since then i have disabled turbo boots and EIST change vcore down to 1.350v and changed the Core load line calibration to turbo which decrease my vdroop and made my vcore in the bios closer to the 1.350v i clocked in made some an adjustmen in the essy tune also to blk rate set it 102.10 close to 4.7 still tampering with that setting to see if i can get it stable but here are the picture of the vcore comparisons also the VID in both hwinfo 64 matched hwmonitor VID voltage now in HWINFO64 i found another bit of information for VCORE which was under motherboard and that also read 1.335 similart to INTEL XTU, AIDA64 and CPU-Z.

It is stable as this mad scientist was making small changes as i read the manual for their setting and looking up what each individual setting is for to get a better grasp as to what it does so here are my results so far still doing
some testing but more closer to the voltage i think i should be at

let me know what you guys think.

PC Health Status_[18-29-37].jpg M.I.T._[18-28-23].jpg 4.6 OC vcore 1.335.jpg Intel XTU utilite stress test.jpg 4.6 OC VID 1.387+.jpg

Back