• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

7800gt overheating..help please.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AcidPlayer

Registered
Ive owned a 7800gt for almost a year now usually running 35C idle 65 full load, and suddenly its running hot, 55-60C on idle and 85-100C on load, i know it ran much cooler then this and dont know why its running so hot, i had a 500w psu, running the card for 8 months or so then overheating started. Upgraded to a Rosewell 550w psu that had very good reviews and resaults still the same, the heat is the same. After a couple hours of gameplay i get artifacts, prior to that its fine.:bang head My current system is MSI K9VGM-V movo, 2gigs ddr2 800 g-skill ram, 7800gt 256mb evga gpu, amd 4600+ X2 winsor core cpu. Rosewell RP550-2 psu. I have good air flow throughout the case (air cooling) with 7 system fans. I dont think adding another fan will help the cause.

Anyone can tell me why suddenly its running hot and ideals on how i can fix this. Any help would be appreciated. tyvm in advance.

Kevin

Have you checked the fan on the card to make sure its running at full speed?

Also check to make sure there is no dust/dirt in the fan or heatsink fins.

Most times its either a dying fan on the vid card or too much dust/dirt in it.

fans are good

yes ive even cranked the fan to 100% full time, tested and same resaults. ive cleaned it. my next step is to take off heatsing and apply some artic 5. but i dont think that will give me the temps i was receiving just a couple weeks ago, this happened sudden. 70% hotter then usual outta nowhere :mad: any other suggestions? one thing i did notice is i get verticle tearing when i play fear now. max settings (same as before) i'm pretty sure i didnt get this before this problem. the game runs fast, and smooth, but now theres verticle tearing :cry:

Well, from what I know cards just dont all of a sudden heat up like that. There has to be a reason. Some common ones would be:

1. Dust/Dirt, which you said is not the case
2. Overclocking the system with no agp/pcie lock
3. Overclocking the vid card and voltage.
4. Ambient temp changes, which affect case temps.

A 70% increase is really strange. It almost sounds like the voltage to the card has been increased. Have you tried OCing it at all recently? Can you think of what you may have changed when you first noticed this?

Back