• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

7800gt upgrade to 8800gts ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

lordkosc

Will my rig support this kind of an upgrade? I am running my Opteron 170 at 2.5Ghz... I don't want to have my CPU be the limiter of the system .... But I also don't want to upgrade the entire system...

Suggestions.....thoughts..... :confused:

What kind of games do you play, at what setting and what resolutions?

I would assume you use that 2007 for gaming? IIRC the resolution on that is 1600x1200?

BigTree said:
What kind of games do you play, at what setting and what resolutions?

I would assume you use that 2007 for gaming? IIRC the resolution on that is 1600x1200?

1680x1050 :) everything on high if possible... I am just worried if I get the 8800gts that my CPU will be the thing holding me back a lot... it is a 1 year old CPU...

lordkosc said:
1680x1050 :) everything on high if possible... I am just worried if I get the 8800gts that my CPU will be the thing holding me back a lot... it is a 1 year old CPU...

Actually, the thing with tthe GTS/GTX cards is that the higher resolutions and details you use, the less your CPU factors into the equation. I can attest that with my GTS card and the rig in my signature, I can play Oblivion on a 1280x1024 LCD monitor with maxium settings, and I only get the slightest bit of lag when it is raining in the game. Other than that, it is smooth as silk.

Yes, you will get a lower score on 3DMark06 that somebody with a decent Conroe, but your gameplay shouldn't suffer at all if you are playing at maximum settings.

OK OK OK let me get this right... the lower res. 1072-768 or whatever.. is more work for your cpu? or is that just with the 88xx cards?

Memphis69 said:
OK OK OK let me get this right... the lower res. 1072-768 or whatever.. is more work for your cpu? or is that just with the 88xx cards?

No, that is always the case, not just with the 8xxx cards. I think the best bet would be to wait just a couple of months till ATI has their DX 10 card out and the Nividia cards take a substantial price slide. All the tests I've seen show the bottleneck shifting away from the CPU the higher the resolution. By 1600 x 1200 there is absolutely no difference in 3dmark scores the higher the CPU speed (going from 2.6 to 2.8 Ghz, I think it was in the test I saw). And they were using an 8800GTX.

Memphis69 said:

No, it is more like the work is for the CPU is fixed, and the video card has a large chunk of it's capacity sitting idle. Crank up the settings, and your CPU still has the same workload, but the video card has more to do. Yes, the CPU is maxed out, so to speak, but the workload on increasing the graphics settings isn't linear for the CPU.

lordkosc said:
Will my rig support this kind of an upgrade? I am running my Opteron 170 at 2.5Ghz... I don't want to have my CPU be the limiter of the system .... But I also don't want to upgrade the entire system...

Suggestions.....thoughts..... :confused:

if you play at 1680x1050 with eye candy it is a worthy upgrade for sure, your looking at incredible performance increase and IQ increase.

I would see if I could get that 170 up to 2.7 or more though.

oooooooooook , well once the 8800gts card drop to around 300 , I am getting one! :)

lordkosc said:
oooooooooook , well once the 8800gts card drop to around 300 , I am getting one! :)

I'm waiting for this as well. I think we'll see some huge discounts before the end of January. At least I'm hoping we will.

Back