• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

7900GT temps?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I would recommend the Zalman ZF-900. It is very compatible with most cards on the market right now, as it has a bracket that will fit nearly any card. That is no guarantee that it will fit future cards, but hopefully it does. I searched around a bit for mine and got it for ~30 USD. I think the vmod is totally worth it. Before I got my Zalman and after I vmodded, I was hitting around 85C Load, after the Zalman I don't see anything above 65C. The Vf-700's are almost just as good. They are about $10 less and you will only see about a 2-3 C difference. My specs are in my sig. These things can take a punishing as well. While I was off on vacation, my brother unplugged the fan speed controller going into my card and cut the fan. It ran about 108-110C for at least 3 days. While I wouldn't recommend it, the card is still in perfect condition and has no issues in the 2 months since. The vmod was ~$45 (fan and conductive pen) and totally worth it. My 3dmark06 score went from ~4400 (at stock) to ~ 6400 (with settings in sig). So for $280 total, the card easily performs very close to the 7900GTX for a little more than half the price.

Burninate said:
I would recommend the Zalman ZF-900. It is very compatible with most cards on the market right now, as it has a bracket that will fit nearly any card. That is no guarantee that it will fit future cards, but hopefully it does. I searched around a bit for mine and got it for ~30 USD. I think the vmod is totally worth it. Before I got my Zalman and after I vmodded, I was hitting around 85C Load, after the Zalman I don't see anything above 65C. The Vf-700's are almost just as good. They are about $10 less and you will only see about a 2-3 C difference. My specs are in my sig. These things can take a punishing as well. While I was off on vacation, my brother unplugged the fan speed controller going into my card and cut the fan. It ran about 108-110C for at least 3 days. While I wouldn't recommend it, the card is still in perfect condition and has no issues in the 2 months since. The vmod was ~$45 (fan and conductive pen) and totally worth it. My 3dmark06 score went from ~4400 (at stock) to ~ 6400 (with settings in sig). So for $280 total, the card easily performs very close to the 7900GTX for a little more than half the price.

Indeed the volt mod power increase is quite amazing, however unless you have very high end cooling now it's not worth it.

IMHO to buy cooling just to volt mod it is rather silly. But for a 1.4v mod the price of a cooler to handle that shouldn't be too off the wall. But anything over ~$40 isn't worth it.

Here's come decent cooler that can most likely handle it:
Zalman VF700 CU
ARCTIC COOLING NV SILENCER 5 REV. 3 VGA Requires modding, which is simply cutting off ducting on the end of the card.
VF900 (from dell) This cooler is probably your best bet.

Back