• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

7970 Upgrade

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Foxslink

Hi,
Im close to sell the 7970 i currently have so im looking for a new upgrade. I play at 1080p and plan on doing some recording of games on high settings and rendering videos. Should i choose the AMD 390 or the nvidia 970? Ive read that a new line of GPU is coming this year soon, should I wait then? In any case these are the cards i found in my country so far :
http://www.sistemax.cl/webstore/index.php?route=product/product&path=84_86&product_id=61
http://www.sistemax.cl/webstore/index.php?route=product/product&path=84_86&product_id=65
http://www.sistemax.cl/webstore/index.php?route=product/product&path=84_86&product_id=67
http://www.solotodo.com/video_cards...n_price=208825&max_price=425071&page_number=3
http://www.solotodo.com/products/20491-msi-r9-390-r9-390-gaming-8g/

i did some research on the 390 and it performs slightly better than the 970 and since it's AMD it performs better going towards the future for 3 reasons:

1)It has better dx12 support (thanks to dx12 taking a lot of elements from mantle)
2)It won't get nerfed like the 970 probably will (seeing as Nvidia did this to the 7xx series and got great results, they will most likely do it again to force more people to upgrade)
3)Freesync panels are at least $100 cheaper than an equivalent Gsync panel (if you are looking at using some adaptive sync technology).

What are your thoughts?

Looking forward to your reply

I love my 970's but my 980 is just that much better, that being said.
you seem to lean amd, any of those 390's will make you happy, pop for one.

Ok , one important thing to mention here is that they are offering me 225 USD for my 7970 right now, who knows how much that will be after June. Im from Chile by the way, and 300 pesos which is my new GPU budget is around 450 USD, do you think its a good idea to make this deal and get the 390?

on the other hand, many people recommend waiting but since i dont have a spare card i cant wait that long if i sell it. Tough choice, aint it?
Thanks for your feedback folks

here are my system Specs:

AMD Graphics Card
Sapphire Hd 7970 Dual-x 3gb Gddr5
Operating System
Windows 7 64bit
Driver version installed
Radeon Software Crimson Edition 15.12
Display Devices
Dell U2414h, HDMI to mini HDMI, 1080p / 60 hz;
Motherboard
GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD5H LGA1155
CPU/APU
Intel Ivy bridge i5 3570k
Power Supply Unit Make, Model & Wattage
Corsair TX650M 650w 80Plus Bronze
RAM
Kingston Predator 8GB

Why not grabbing a second hand 290x? you can get it for pretty cheap, and if you play@1080p/1440p, they are much enough! Used to have a couple of them for 4K (and a couple of 980's as well°, and they were doing great.

Just my 2 cents though...

I initially thought going from 7970 to 970 wasn't going to be that much of an upgrade, but this convinced me otherwise: http://www.benchmark.pl/ranking/porownanie/asus-radeon-7970-vs-zotac-geforce-gtx-970-amp-omega (it's Polish, but half of it is English anyway, and you're going to figure out measurement units and software titles etc.). It seems 7970 packs more theoretical punch (AMD tends to have stronger architecture) but gets outperformed in a lot of games by about 20 fps according to this benchmark. User Benchmark lists the 970 as 30% faster. I wouldn't normally be upgrading the GPU myself given these numbers, but perhaps checking out a different sort of upgrade?

On the other hand, I share in your prediction that 7970s may become harder to sell quite soon. Can't know about Chile, but here in Poland they still sell quite well. I expect 7850s to break the line soon, especially considering than 6950s and 6970s are extremely cheap right now, but between 7850 and 6970/50 the market has enough different price/performance ratio steppings covered to give the 7970 some breathing space for the time being. Which may be a short time.

For obvious reasons 280x makes no sense whatsoever in your case, but 290X is a different chip and can already be bought used, sometimes for a bargain price. Still, most of those I've seen, on perhaps even all of them, have had reference cooling, and that's not something you want to keep — and aftermarket cooling is probably not going to be much less expensive than $100 or so. The 380 is still pretty much the same GPU as the 7970 and the 280(X), so I wouldn't bother, and 390 is too new. So maybe wait for 480 to settle in a bit and either become cheaper or cause the prices of older models to drop. Chances are that that difference could be more than whatever price you're going to be able to sell that 7970 for anyway.

And did I hear you right? They're offering you 220 bucks for a 7970? I bought my 280x (same card; like for real, because it also is a Sapphire Dual-X that gets detected as 7970 by some programs) for 120, pretty much as good as NIB (you wouldn't tell, anyway, but for the lack of foil).

Oh, and any company that would nerf already sold cards via drivers deserves to lose its customers and lose some lawsuits. Someone should take them before a jury and nail them for millions in punitive damages, if they really did that and knowingly, willingly.

I have been looking at this quite a bit as I have Sapphire Radeon HD 7950 Vapor-X@1050 MHz. You need to take a look at the games you're playing and see how much of the GPU is being utilised and then compare that with the core usage on your CPU. This will tell you whether you are CPU bound or GPU bound. I did this for GTA 5 current favourite but also dabble in Elite Dangerous and Dirt Rally. Got Star Citizen and The Long Dark to come...That will point you to where you should spend the Euros.

Well, I think the OP had either bought a new card or been od the ganing business, hehehe!

If not, he should get a RX 480/GTX 1060...

Back