• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

8.1 OEM or full retail

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
AFAIK , the main difference is if you install the (cheaper) OEM version , you get NO support from M$. I used the OEM for my Win 7 , figuring if I break it , I can fix it. Well , me and teh interwebz. LOL. If you're handy with software or search engines , go with the OEM and save a few bucks. I've learned a LOT by not having M$ on speed dial since my first Dell. YMMV. :)

The real underlying truth...

...the underlying truth of OEM is that it is supposed to remain with the build it is first installed onto. Hence the break in pricing. Full Retail is supposed to be able legitimately moved to another system after the previous system is no more. In retrospect, I do believe that a call to M$ can re-activate and OEM when you say the mobo died. Many have done so as I understant it and without more hassle than calling M$ and saying the board is broke and history. So you wind-up in essence installing onto another system.

You asked what the differences were and it is the OEM is supposed to be tied to original system by intent and hence a cheaper price.
RGone...ster.

In theory no support but in real what support can they provide ? Give you info how to solve some issues via mail or phone ?
The main difference will be that OEM is signed to the hardware and to be more specific to the motherboard. BOX/OLP can be reinstalled on a different hardware. In real it looks like when your Windows is signed to some PC and you wish to "unlock" it then all you have to do is to call MS and tell them you had problems with some components and you had to replace it. In most cases you will listen and answer for questions from automatic system where you have to pick option that your copy of MS software has been installed only on one computer.
This is annoying but I have to make it from time to time even on a group licenses. Even though at work I have licenses for 5-100 computers I always have to pick option it's installed on a 1 PC or it won't pass verification.

Back