• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

8120 blew up my psu

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

whitworth2001

Registered
Hi all

So i have just upgraded my CPU from an AMD x2 255. Install the new Fx 8200 all went well activated all 8 cores was perfect untill i loaded battlefield 3 played for 10 minutes and big sparked and turned off. It had blown my psu i did notice before it blew my cpu was running at 65c. could this have been a faulty psu it was a cheap one which i bought to run my old x2 255 and it run perfectly on battlefield 3 or could this be some other problem. i have just ordered the Corsair CMPSU-650TXV2UK Enthusiast Series TX650 V2 High Performance 650W Power Supply. at the moment i have other old psu in and when i run games it seems to make a noice now and again coming from the psu like it is straining to keep up. i was running a 700w

Thanks
Kris

FX8120
8GB DDR3 Crossair 133MHZ
GTX560TI OC
View Sonic 23" HD Monitor

Last edited:
FX-series processors draw a lot power. You experienced what cheap power supplies can do when subjected to a heavy load. The problem is often doubly complicated as the 'expiring' power supply also takes out the cpu. You were lucky.

Thanks for your reply. Othe then the power supply would there be any other reason why it blew ?

other old psu in and when i run games it seems to make a noice now and again coming from the psu like it is straining to keep up = IF the setup is now running with another power supply even if it is groaning, then weak or cheap, over-rated power supplies was your problem when the other one quit working.

I would not risk frying your CPU by continuing to run the system with another cheap, old substitute PSU that is "groaning" under the load. Wait until your Corsair arrives. By the way, wattage ratings on cheap PSUs are usually greatly exagerated and refer to peak power output rather than sustained power output.

Which CPU cooler would you guys recommend for this processor which I am going to overclockto at least 4ghz

What case do you have (need width of the case from outside to outside) as the answer in part depends on if your case has clearance to the side panel to accommodate the tall 120mm fan-based tower style coolers and also what is your budget?

Agrr crnt find my tape measure lol it is just a standard case was looking at about £50 was looking at Corsair Hydro Series H60 High Performance Liquid CPU Cooler Liquid cooling system

+1 everybody
I have run the h60 on this fx8120 it is just not enough, i think the h870 or h80 has a thicker rad.

Agrr crnt find my tape measure lol it is just a standard case was looking at about £50 was looking at Corsair Hydro Series H60 High Performance Liquid CPU Cooler Liquid cooling system

"Just a standard case". Not sure what that means or what standard you refer to. If you go with a 120mm fan-based tower style air cooler you will need a case that measures 8 inches (sorry for not using metric) or more from outside to outside of the side panels across the top. That's wider than a lot of cases out there.

Dimension (W / H / D) Main unit: 230 x 480 x 496 mm / 9.1 x 18.9 x 19.5 inch (with stand)

Where you see 230mm above at the Width (W) dimension, your case needs to be 203mm and on good cases you can look that dimension up at the manufacturer's website. 195mm is the absolute W dimension that will usually allow for workable fitment of a CM 212 EVO cooler that gets suggested more in here than anything else.

you also might try load shedding, open hardware monitor, unplug a fan or two and watch the +12v line and make sure it stays above 12v. heaven knows with all the fans we have to run we are useing a lot of juice to support this beast.

Back