• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

8120 OC'ing Question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Ah ok thanks Beep. I thought u meant i said MY max i posted was 90c. So Beep would u say if i could keep my max under 80 with 30 mins prime running and no faults on it, i could consider myself somewhat stable?

I think there is confusion here with what is meant by "motherboard sensor" and "CPU sensor". The use of "core temp sensor" to refer to the sensor embedded in the processor die might clarify.

I think there is confusion here with what is meant by "motherboard sensor" and "CPU sensor". The use of "core temp sensor" to refer to the sensor embedded in the processor die might clarify.

Yeah for sure man, thanks. So in HW Monitor, which would be which?

There is a section for "core" temps in HWMonitor. There is really only one core temp sensor on the processor die but the reading is repeated several times according to the number of cores the processor has because the software is setup to also work with Intel CPUs that have multiple core temps sensors. The temp reporting varies about 1c between the several lines because of a time interval and fluctuations in temp during the time interval.

Found above the core temp section, the CPU (socket) temp may be labeled "CPU temp" or it may be disguised by a generic label "TMPINx" of which there may be several because on most motherboards there are sensors in various places. It can be a challenge to figure out which one of those lines is the CPU socket temp but with a Thuban core processor the CPU socket temp is usually about 15c higher than the core temp when a good aftermarket air cooler is employed.

There is a section for "core" temps in HWMonitor. There is really only one core temp sensor on the processor die but the reading is repeated several times according to the number of cores the processor has because the software is setup to also work with Intel CPUs that have multiple core temps sensors. The temp reporting varies about 1c between the several lines because of a time interval and fluctuations in temp during the time interval.

Found above the core temp section, the CPU (socket) temp may be labeled "CPU temp" or it may be disguised by a generic label "TMPINx" of which there may be several because on most motherboards there are sensors in various places. It can be a challenge to figure out which one of those lines is the CPU socket temp but with a Thuban core processor the CPU socket temp is usually about 15c higher than the core temp when a good aftermarket air cooler is employed.

OK gotcha. Thanks for that info!

Hi folks. Since I also have the fx8120 I was interested in reading what other people have done with this cpu. Somewhere along these pages someone said that he clocked the cpu only to 4.0ghz before he needed to start messing with the voltage. I dont know why but this clock is nothing like mine. i made it up to 4.2ghz with default voltage. At the moment iam interested how high i can get this baby with my cooler. (some people say noctua is even better than the H100)

Back