• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

8120 on air, high clock

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Creating Chunks

As I patiently await my arrival of my new FX-8120, what are some tips on overclocking it? What is the stable max on air? And should I swap it out on my main pc? I currently have an FX-6100 OC'd to 4.4GHz @ 1.38v. Which would perform better?

Thanks!

Since the FX series has now been out about 3/4s of a year, there are plenty of threads about overclocking the FX 8 core cpus in the forum here. 5 months ago that was not the case but now there are many. Do a search of this forum section and you should get at least 10 threads of information.

If you get a 'stable' 4.4Ghz at only 1.38Vcore, then you have a good cpu. I have seen way too many getting an FX that won't do 4.4Ghz stable until 1.485 or so and they are warm for sure then. However if you have 1.38Vcore set and LLC is turned on you might be getting more than 1.38 Vcore under load. But the 1.38Vcore does sound good and unless you are lucky the FX-8120 will not do 4.4Ghz stable with that little voltage and then you 'will see' temps that rise with voltage to the cpu. In fact the general consensus has been that to get a good overclock with the FX cpu, you need a minimum of the H100 water cooler.

So slap the FX-8120 in and clock it just like the good FX-6100 you already have and see what happens. It is still a dice-roll when buying a cpu to overclock. Luck man.

Typed 'overclock + FX-8120' into search of this forum section and this link is two pages of threads with that search criteria. You could type FX-8150 and the threads would be just as relevant to the situation.

Last edited:
Alright thanks Rgone. I'll check it out and see if i can get at least 4.2GHz without gettin too hot. If it is too hot on air then ill just start building my first water cooled rig. Im also gettin a sandy bridge mobo and 2500k soon, along with my windows 8 project. Lots of building goin on right now.

Back